Asking for a job (1 Viewer)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I've completed my resume and printed off a heap of copies. How do i now approach businesses about asking them for a job? Do I ask if they have vacancies or what? Do I just leave my resuem with the receptionist or do I ask to see the manage? I'd appreciate any helpful comments please.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Cold calling on businesses is a waste of time in my experience.

But if you want to try it, go in, ask to speak to the manager, tell them you're looking for work, be ready for an on the spot interview, leave a copy of your resume with the manager regardless of what they say. Be polite and thank them, make a good impression, obvious stuff.

Dress in a collared shirt and nice pants- Look at how people dress in the store, and dress yourself in a similar style/standard. A surfshop has different expectations to maccas.

It's a soul destroying process, and usually fruitless.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Thanks Graney. Other ideas?
If cold sellign is bad, whats hte best way to get a job?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Cold calling could work eventually, I suppose. I just always lost heart after the first dozen or so places. Doesn't help that everywhere within 50kms of my hometown has 30%+ youth unemployment.

Just apply all the major retailers websites, job sites, woolies, seek.com.au etc... Look at the links on the employment forum sticky.

Mr.GTR

HSC
just make sure, if you apply for a job, you are ready for an interview either on the spot or by phone if they are interested. I would suggest using various job searches, and having previous experience in any field of work usually helps to get a job, even if they state that no experience is required. I recently got a job, the phone interview was nerve racking, because i wasnt ready for it, but once in the interview(had to do group interview) it went a lot better and presentation is an IMPORTANT part of the interview, so make sure you dress appropriately. Good Luck on your job hunt.

Furbob

HSC
I've thought about handing in a resume to Bakers Delight lately
(even though I've heard about the apparently bad managers that work there)
Do I just go up to the customer service person and ask for the manager? :S
Does anyone know if they still accept casuals at this time of the year? it's kind of late

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Graney said:
It's a soul destroying process, and usually fruitless.
This.

The hi-are-you-hiring routine got me my first job out of sheer luck. when I left it I wished I hadn't for the longest time, finding another job was painful...but yeah. hang in there, good luck :eek:

Tip: This approach generally works better in busy areas with a lot of shops and people. i.e. major urban centres, not your run down local shopping mall.

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
Furbob:
I work at a Baker's Delight and I just went in and handed in my resume to the manger, they got me to start the next day. They're pretty much always looking for casuals, we have a really high turnover rate...

HSC
a-m-e-e-e said:
Furbob:
I work at a Baker's Delight and I just went in and handed in my resume to the manger, they got me to start the next day. They're pretty much always looking for casuals, we have a really high turnover rate...
I will have to try this at the BD in Gladesville...:pirate:

Furbob

HSC
a-m-e-e-e said:
Furbob:
That's good news, I'll try it this weekend hopefully
Is it still a good time, even in December/xmas very soon?
How long ago did you get the job o.o?
I'm a little scared asking for the manager since last time I asked (somewhere else) the guy didn't follow me but got the manager in the end, but its a process to be done anyway

08er

HSC
yeah just hand out your resume in a shopping centre and you're bound to get some calls the following week

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
It's hard at the moment since most, if not all, stores have already organised their xmas casuals

just wait til Jan, they'll fire the crappy casuals and be looking for more competent people :p

Furbob

HSC
a-m-e-e-e said:
They're pretty much always looking for casuals, we have a really high turnover rate...
Does that include christmas time?
or just hand resume in and wait till Jan/whenever they call like Diego suggested
I'm probably going to go tomorrow, sitting at home is making me feel like a blob and getting impatient :hammer:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Don't just turn up and hand them a resume either ...
Do some research. Find out what the business is/does. Make up some pre prepared bullshit about why you'd like to work there (they will ask)...

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
is bakers delight a good place to work out? i'm assuming it's not (high TO's and all...)

if you're desperate, Danoz Direct are desperately hiring. it's $19/hour + commission (inbound, so you're just taking calls)

xxxx8888

HSC
hahaha when i was 15 a friend and i asked to speak to the manager about a job and the worker went round the back to get her and as she was coming out we ran off

retards

and she was looking for people too.

Furbob

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Handed in applications to local Bakers Delight and Video Ezy 2day. :hammer:
What was the reaction like from BD's? Did they say you have to wait or anything?

lol, I'm really going today or this weekend because of bathroom renovations and having to stay home but the bathroom guy keeps changing his mind about which time he comes around so it wastes my day :(

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
xxxx8888 said:
hahaha when i was 15 a friend and i asked to speak to the manager about a job and the worker went round the back to get her and as she was coming out we ran off

retards

and she was looking for people too.
If you were doing that then you were obviously too immature to be employed at the time.

I was responsible for supervising and training at my old job and all the kids I saw who came to be interviewed with a friend never took it seriously and were never hired on my recommendation to the manager.

To all those doing the resume drop off rounds, if you want to be taken seriously, go alone and present yourself well (smart casual clothing).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)