As You Like It (1 Viewer)

lauraa1

HSC
Re: why does no one reply to my threads?

lyounamu said:
To be specific, historical and personal allusion, I would say?
yeh i was thinking that when i was scribbling notes all over it aha what are some 'effects' of it slash relating it to belonging

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

lauraa1 said:
yeh i was thinking that when i was scribbling notes all over it aha what are some 'effects' of it slash relating it to belonging
You relate the experience of others to increase the sense of connectedness.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

lauraa1 said:
Ann Nixon Cooper is a symbol, a metaphor and an allusion to the message of change and Belonging Obama represents. She is the past where the coloured public did not belong in a nation of white prejudice. She represents the history of alienation and isolation suffered by racial minorities. She also represents the present where as a woman and black she can vote for the candidate she wants to. Most of all she represents future belonging that Obama represents for America. The significance of her allusion in the speech is that she is a personification of the aspects of not belonging. Her vote then shows the new found sense of belonging that has brought America together.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad

As part of conflicting perspectives I analysed Obama's speech so ums I know a thing or two about the textual deconstruction so pm if you still need some techniques.

the Ann Nixon Cooper story/reference could also be described as an anecdote.
use allusions for like the incorporation of martin Luther King jr

kibs

HSC
i can find examples of belonging all through the text.
its finding techniques.
our question is what techniques does the author use to show the concept of belonging.

i wouldnt hav a clue, why dont we ask him, he wrote it

DC987123

HSC
Ok so ive got an english assignment on As You Like It by Shakespeare
I need to write an interview in which i (as shakespeare) talk about the dramatic technqiues used to show a sense of belonging in the play.
I need to:
- show a detailed knowledge of the text
- Show how dramatic technqiues are utilised to convey sense of belonging

Its dude on friday (wednesday now) so i rly need help
ive got a bit done but im stuggling
PLZ HELP!!!
Thx heaps

Munky-Narrabri

HSC
Haha yeah the wrestling was totally the best part!
But the ending came pretty close... i dunno what was with that lol
Yeah they could've picked better lookers for that movie, would've made it a bit less painful :p
THE WRESTLING WAS F*CKING HILARIOUS. he like gently throws him and he breaks a fence, and he like, knocks him out with a pansy take down... its sooo bad. and orlando looks like a complete tard

cupid^^

HSC
Haha guys As YOu Like it is great for belonging.

You can explore it through the 3 main paradigms and gives you a perfect comparison between the 3.

I cant give it away cos it wouldnt be good to have everyone writing the same thing but if you have any specific question send me message or ask for email

feefeh

HSC
i did the TSFX advanced english course, and i found it really helpful.
they give you a booklet of notes and explain it all.
The lecturer was really good and nice.
There are a lot of people who go though so its hard to get individual hep, but it's worth the time. :pirate:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Much Ado was great, As You Like It is a nightmare.

There is SO not enough to write about, I'm going to fail.
As you like it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. But Much ado about nothing > as you like it^infinity

travelinchick07

HSC
I have to do an exam on belonging in AYLI. So not looking forward to it, my related texts are:

Firefly episode 1 - self alienation/not wanting to belong, belonging as a family and negatives of not belonging to society

An Exiles Farewell (poem) - not wanting to belong, good to be free, no sadness at leaving home.

Wicked Lovely (novel) - not wanting to belong to a specific group, belonging to place, belonging to family, acceptance is key to belonging.

In AYLI belonging is in a few forms:

Place - happiness found in the Forest of Arden for Duke Senior, Rosalind, Ceila, Orlanda and Oliver.

Family - 'Thou art thy father's daughter; there's enough' - familial connections/belonging to each other. Roz doesn't belong in a court with out her father.

'Now go in we content, to liberty, and not to banishment' - Ceila and Roz find freedom and belonging in the forest together.

Love - the marriages between Touchstone and Audrey, Phebe and Silvius, Ceila and Oliver, Roz and Orlanda - it can be noted that Roz gives Orlando a necklace which indicates they belong to each other, and he continues to wear it in the forest where he feels safe.

kahzren

HSC
i know that it is 4 years later.. but would you happen to have any of those notes? thank you!

cunliffe

HSC
N/A
I am an English teacher and have written an ebook study guide on how this play fits in to the belonging rubric. It's for sale at this site:http://www.blurb.com/user/store/cunliffe

You can look at the the way in which the social world of the court (materialist values/ greed etc) prevents belonging and the way in which the natural world facilitates it and restores the 'golden world' values of an earlier era. The fractured family relationships are damaged by that greed, but healed and restored through the experience of the forest. Romantic love, be it courtly or eros or agape, figures in the play and was an idea of some contention in Shakespeare's time-just look at John Donne's poetry. Is love about physical attraction or something more platonic or is it in fact a balance of both. I think that Shakespeare is advocating a balanced experience of romantic love as a catalyst for real belonging and then then opens up an opportunity to look at some related texts that also explore the philosophical underpinnings of love.

Ostrichsurfer

HSC
N/A
It wouldn't be wise to talk about Orlando and Adam
Although they might have a nice relationship, it doesn't relate to belonging too much. Also, Adam disappears upon entry into the forest, never to be spoken of again. It'll be too hard to talk about him without excluding 3/4 of the actual play, so yeah, just steer clear of Adam
You can link it to Noblesse Oblige which is obligation and belonging yadayada

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)