As You Like It (1 Viewer)

timothy2911

HSC
im doing as you like it
i was just wondering what additional material you guys are using for it and how you are linking them?

simmowrites

HSC
I'm doing the film Bend It Like Beckham and need to find a third text.
My thesis is that "it would be ignorant to conclude that belonging is better than alienation because one must take into account the circumstances of the environment and individuals."
I am linking them through positive and negative examples of belonging as well as positive and negative examples of alienation.

jules.09

HSC
As You Like It isn't all that relevant to the exploration of belonging. Actually, I'd go as far as claiming it is completely uncontaminated by belonging.

However, it's a convenient way to deal with Shakespeare in the context of the HSC.

I was never a fan of Shakespeare. So by completing it in the AoS, no more Shakespeare for the rest of the year... and we aren't really doing 'Shakespeare', just exploring belonging.

Awesome hardcore literary theory and critical analysis here I come!

kurt16

HSC
jules.09 said:
by completing it in the AoS, no more Shakespeare for the rest of the year
thats exactly what our teacher said to us

Kro4LyF

HSC
jezz as u like it lol

finished it the other day

guess wat i got an essay today for tomoraz.... and fkn hw on my related texts omG!!!!! fkn hell

its like got to do belonging wif relation ships and place

rosalind belongs wif celia sister relationship and belong wif duke seniour father she belong 2 court birth place she belong wif orlando in love

etc get us?

jules.09

HSC
kurt16 said:
thats exactly what our teacher said to us
Of course. That's one undeniable truth. :cool:

It's a play about cross-dressing cavorting fictitious people who were meant to appease the Elizabethan/Jacobean masses. Filled with sexual innuendo. Hurrah. The brilliance of Shakespeare. A man who *appropriates* from other playwrights.

You'd think he's so post-mo.

Undomiel

HSC
youngminii said:
Ahh, we haven't finished it yet :(
We're up to the bit where Ganymede(who does not look ANYTHING like a guy, I mean, she's wearing a SKIRT) just started pretending to be Rosalind for Orlando
Ahh yeah! she doesn't look remotely male at all, but then she doesn't really look female either lol.
Ahh that movie is a great laugh! Let us know what you think of the ending!

Have you read the whole play?

becvee

HSC
annabackwards said:
Is As You Like It similar to Much Ado About Nothing? I didn't mind that one.
Much Ado was great, As You Like It is a nightmare.

There is SO not enough to write about, I'm going to fail.

emmabelle

HSC
i'm doing as you like it
i got this off my teacher:

language - verse/prose
the urge to belong is deep in all of us. it is of prime importance, and is treated in a serious manner in this play; therefore serious thoughts about family, love and connections with other people are expressed in verse. Prose, for example, is used in the wrestling scene until Olrando announces that he is 'the youngest son of sir roland de boys'

i have more about structure, belonging and couples, power, family and place. msg if you want it :)

lingling91

HSC
hey. doing "as you like it" for belonging. does anybody have a really good quote in this play that relates to the theme of filial relationships. it'll be best if the quote happened when Orlando leaves to go to the Forest to venture for himself because Oliver banished him.

thanks!!!

yummy-cookies

HSC
youngminii said:
It wouldn't be wise to talk about Orlando and Adam
Although they might have a nice relationship, it doesn't relate to belonging too much. Also, Adam disappears upon entry into the forest, never to be spoken of again. It'll be too hard to talk about him without excluding 3/4 of the actual play, so yeah, just steer clear of Adam
Oh, I know a point about Adam!

You could say that Adam represents Orlando's link to belonging in the court - once Orlando finds a sense of belonging in the forest (with Duke Senior's court and Rosalind/Ganymede), the sense of belonging he has with Adam is less significant to him. Hence, Adam doesn't appear afterwards - because Orlando doesn't need him to create belonging.

Another question: Why does Phebe seem so confused by her affections for the androgonous Ganymede? How does this relate to belonging

Livvy-Jane

HSC
I was thinking about doing the peom 'I carry your heart with me' by ee cummings in relation to the strong relationship that Roslind and celia share.

The poem is about the loved shared by sisters or very close friends so i thougt it would fit

what do you think?

lolrofllol

HSC
yummy-cookies said:
Another question: Why does Phebe seem so confused by her affections for the androgynous Ganymede? How does this relate to belonging
Hmm

Phebe is bewildered by the androgynous traits of 'Ganymede'. She is legitimately attracted to 'his' quick wit and pride, but strangely to his "pretty", "riper" and "lusty red" female characteristics .

(Shakespeare uses antithesis in her duologue with Silvius to show this confusion, Act 3 Scene 6)

I think this relates to belonging, inherently, to stereotypical gender roles, as a female within the historical context would have to be much more timid and inhibited, but as a male, Rosalind expresses herself freely and challenges these roles.

I'm not sure, what do you think?

geesauce

HSC
hey my thesis goes along the lines of "people with open minds find it easier to belong"

anyone have any good things to back up that thesis from As You Like It??

by the way i totally agree that this is a shit text for belonging..

also what is everyone doing for their supplementary texts.

im doing Bridges of Madison County- the movie and Tears in Heaven- the song.

xx.

lauraa1

HSC
Re: why does no one reply to my threads?

i need help with relating barack obama's victory speech to belonging using techniques...and also with finding various quotes relating to belonging. stupid speech due on wednesday

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

lauraa1 said:
i need help with relating barack obama's victory speech to belonging using techniques...and also with finding various quotes relating to belonging. stupid speech due on wednesday
http://www.nipissingu.ca/faculty/williams/figofspe.htm

This website has some literary techniques that you might wish to look into.

Use this website to find any literary techniques present in the Obama's speech.

And about Belonging's quotes, I will look into Google now.

Hold on for a minute.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

lauraa1 said:
Allusion to Ann Nixon Cooper could be something?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

kaz1 said:
Allusion to Ann Nixon Cooper could be something?
To be specific, historical and personal allusion, I would say?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)