Arts/ Science or Liberal Arts and Science? (1 Viewer)

redsxzz

HSC
N/A
Hey, I am considering those courses in questions, can anyone give me a rundown of those courses or pros and cons? I havn't actually studied any sciences or maths in the HSC but I am desperate to get back into those disciplines, so I'll have to do the two unit maths bridging course but even for that year 10 maths is assumed, which I did do, but its been a while, y'know? If I study privately and catch up on teh basics for maths, will I be okay for the bridging course? Also does psych as a science major require much maths? THanks.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Do Arts/Science. You have more flexibility, you learn more content, and the degrees themselves are much more universal. Liberal Arts and Science is kind of a watered down version of Arts/Science and I believe it is mainly aimed towards people with lower ATAR's who want to study at Sydney.

Your plan for maths sounds fine, just make sure you actually do it. I started a Science degree straight out of school without any science knowledge, and I promised myself that I'd teach myself HSC Chemistry and Physics, but I never got round to that. In my defense though I did get a girlfriend straight after the HSC so I had other priorities :). In your case though I think teaching yourself Year 10 Maths is probably a bit more manageable. Do that and you should be OK for the bridging course, but even then, I'm sure they'd do revision in the first couple of lessons anyway. As for the Science part you might benefit from going to bridging courses for them as well, but you could do without them, just take the fundamentals units and you would be fine.

And to my knowledge I believe Psychology involves a decent amount of statistics, but otherwise there is not a lot of maths involved in it.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Hey, I am considering those courses in questions, can anyone give me a rundown of those courses or pros and cons? I havn't actually studied any sciences or maths in the HSC but I am desperate to get back into those disciplines, so I'll have to do the two unit maths bridging course but even for that year 10 maths is assumed, which I did do, but its been a while, y'know? If I study privately and catch up on teh basics for maths, will I be okay for the bridging course? Also does psych as a science major require much maths? THanks.
You might want to do MATH1111 which will teach you everything you need to know and is only open to non-HSC maths students so you'll fit in fine there. It's taught by David Easdown who's one of the top lecturers in the school.

Alternatively you could do the bridging course (again, assumes you haven't done HSC maths, so if you can brush up on year 10 you should be fine) and then do fundamental units (scroll down to the bottom of the page) in first year.

All USYD science degrees require 12cp of first year maths, so you'll have to do at least 4 first year subjects. It's probably recommended that you do at least normal first year stats if you're planning on psych though.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In my defense though I did get a girlfriend straight after the HSC so I had other priorities :).
And that's like, a long story too :p

But yes, I'd take BA/BSc - partly because academics often somewhat look down upon BLAS and consider it as the course for "lower-end" students.

You might want to do MATH1111 which will teach you everything you need to know and is only open to non-HSC maths students so you'll fit in fine there. It's taught by David Easdown who's one of the top lecturers in the school.

Alternatively you could do the bridging course (again, assumes you haven't done HSC maths, so if you can brush up on year 10 you should be fine) and then do fundamental units (scroll down to the bottom of the page) in first year.

All USYD science degrees require 12cp of first year maths, so you'll have to do at least 4 first year subjects. It's probably recommended that you do at least normal first year stats if you're planning on psych though.
Agreed. He could also do Biostatistics which is the fundamentals unit.

redsxzz

HSC
N/A
Oh thank you guys for responding and aha Amelops at least your distraction was a worthwhile cause :p. Umm do you suggest the MATH1111 route or going the bridging course route? If there is a signficant advantage in the bridging course, then money isn't a deterrent or the time involved.

I'll defs do the stats courses and am most likely going to choose Arts/ Science

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Not hijacking, I'm in a similar pickle. I was hoping to transfer from BA to BSc/BA. I was hoping to do CS/MATH on the BSc, is it possible to enroll in all of the fundamental and normal subjects and MATH1111?

(dropped out from y10 around 4 years ago)

Last edited:

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
From what I can see (aka rules set out in the Science Handbook), majoring in mathematics may be difficult for you to do.

To move onto intermediate mathematics (with the exception of MATH2069), one unit you definitely have to complete is MATH1003, which is the normal stream of Integral Calculus and Modelling. Now the assumed knowledge for that is MATH1001, MATH1011 or a credit in MATH1111. So no, strictly speaking, you shouldn't enrol in ALL of the fundamentals subjects, generally you would have to do MATH1003 instead of MATH1013. Secondly, most units require you to have at least fundamentals level Calculus and Linear Algebra (MATH1011 and MATH1014). If you wish to do MATH1111, you can't complete MATH1011, hence you'll be locked out from most of the 2nd year mathematics subjects.

However, I think that if you spoke with the Maths department they might be able to make an exception provided you feel you are capable of doing the work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)