Arts Degrees (1 Viewer)

i hate HSC

Been there done that
HSC
Hey arts peeps,
Where has everyone put for first preference?? I put Macquarie cuz I've heard good things but now I'm starting to hear good things about UNSW....help???

GJ_JOE

blood brother
do you mean "arts" as in B Arts or "arts" as in CoFA/design etc ?

well i put down B Arts at USYD purely based on the impression i got from reading the UAC guide lol.....i'm going to info day for sure!

i hate HSC

Been there done that
HSC
sorry

lol sorry i meant Bachelor of Arts. I put Macquarie as first pref cuz of word of mouth - i wasn't sure whether i should trust the UAC guide???

GJ_JOE

blood brother
just try to make it to as many info days as you can i suppose....though most of them are on the same day :(

Fry

which one is better liberal studies or bach of arts? i heard theyre both sorta the same thing.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
you have to do an arts major, a science (or commerce) major and a language with liberal studies.

liberal studies has a higher uai than arts

with liberal studies (international) you have to go to an overseas university for a semester or a year or so.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Lib. Studies (Int) is my first preference. The exchange is for one semester, although you can apply through the normal channels for a further semester. Ims o looking forward to the travelling bit, get a bit of experience of the rest of the world not simply as a tourist.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by natstar

What uni is this at?
Im guessing USyd
the cutoff is amazing though - 97.10 last yr

GJ_JOE

blood brother
what do you guys reckon the UAI cutoff for B Arts @ USYD or UNSW will be? USYD cutoff jumped 70.00 to 80.05 and UNSW jumped 70.00 to 77.00....my sister reckons the jump was because a majority of students last year scored in the 70s.....i know its all based on demand, but what are your predictions?

If the cutoffs remain the same (though i reckon highly unlikely) I'd be able to get into UNSW but not USYD, which is where I want to go...so I'm hoping for it to go down a bit.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
apparently ... arts degrees are 'better' and more respected at usyd ... of course i could be completely off the mark ...

bex

HSC
these jumping cut offs are scaring me!! I got 87.85 which leaves me 7.8 ranks or points or whatever ... we spoke to the dean of the arts faculty at usyd about it and he thinks that it will rise a little but then stabalise....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by GJ_JOE
what do you guys reckon the UAI cutoff for B Arts @ USYD or UNSW will be? USYD cutoff jumped 70.00 to 80.05 and UNSW jumped 70.00 to 77.00....my sister reckons the jump was because a majority of students last year scored in the 70s.....i know its all based on demand, but what are your predictions?
Well, the UAI is a rank, not a mark, so a there is no real increase or decrease in students scoring 70's, it just depends on how many ppl actually do the HSC from yr to year. But anyway, it jumped up because more people are actually going to uni doing arts, rather than not going to uni at all, so hence, more demand and higher cutoffs
i personally dont think they can rise much higher than current, maybe a couple of UAI points, but dont hold me to that

Sarah

HSC
N/A
I heard somewhere (not sure where or from whom), that last yr, the uai for arts rose coz govt reduced funding. also, uni's tended to over enrol students as there would be students dropping out during the yr, and so because govt reduced funding, this placed pressure on resources and yeh, hence the need to increase uai entry.

this might be incorrect though

bex

HSC
yeah i heard that too... a lady came to talk to us from i think maquarie uni...

alys

i'm thinking of either arts (languages) or arts (advanced), both of which are at usyd. liberal studies is probably good if you like a wide variety of stuff (personally, i'm an humanities person, so the science and stuff doesn't appeal to me). the international one might be fun. maq is too far away, but mostly i chose my uni on the basis of the things that go in brackets afterwards and what they means for the course - the languages one would be fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)