Arts/Commerce??? (1 Viewer)

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
hey guys!
Just wondering if anyone here is doing the 5 year arts/commerce course or thinking about it for 2006? I 've been tossing up between pursuing the arts side or economics side for a while so i thought this would be a good way to pursue both interests while also keeping career options open yet viable!
I want to major in history and perhaps something along the lines of international relations and communications while majoring in Eco with the commerce side. Any suggestions??

HSC
N/A
This is my first preference! I'm bad at maths (did general) but am willing to do the bridging course. I'm more interested in marketing than things like accounting and finance. I think this degree combination rocks cos some arts subjects sound like they would compliment marketing (e.g. sociology?) - please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd also love some feedback from current/past students about the length of the course (five years sounds like forever..compared to three) and anyone who does commerce but didn't do maths in high school (or did general maths)....how are you coping? Was the bridging course enough to get you through or are you somewhat disadvantaged?

Thanks

sarevok

HSC
If you're majoring in marketing, the most maths you'll be doing is in the core units, disregarding any second major.

There is no difficult maths in accounting, simple adding and subtraction and simple algebra.
The two economics courses contain more algebra and a tiny bit of simple calculus.
Econometrics is the most math-based subject, but really it's so simple you'd have to be incredibly stupid at maths to struggle with it even if you didn't do maths in HSC.

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
Awesome! This is my first preference as well, 5 years is a long time especially if you're looking at post graduate study but yes,we'll c how we go! Might See you there the apprentice!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I am a marketing major student and no, sarevok, there is a maths based marketing research subject they will have to do (although luckily it's now made much easier as of next year). It draws from ECMT1010 knowledge.

This is a good degree for marketing, but others you should take a look at include B Eco & Soc Sci and B Commerce (Liberal Studies). I strongly recommend the latter - if you dont have the marks try to transfer into it. It's one year less than b com/arts and lets you study some psych units too. I'm majoring in marketing (ext), international business and psychology

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I thought it might be too good to be true.. Stazi, I'd love to do Commerce Liberal but I only got 94.4, so it's out my range unfortunately. Is it really competitive/difficult to transfer? I think I'd enjoy Arts anyhow, and it's about time I confronted my maths phobia...

I hope to see u there too, *Ya_So_CuTe* :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It's not that competitive. I got a 92.75 UAI and last year I could have transferred with a 5.75 GPA (under Distinction average). This year, I guess I'll have to wait for UAC to release offers :)
With a 94.4 one would expect you'd need under a distinction average as well.

ECMT is very challenging if you're like me - not having done maths since year 10. I managed a credit but that required a shitload of work.

Also, you'll love the new marketing subjects: advertising, brand management etc :) USYD seems to have the best range out of all the unis.

At o-week make sure you join ComSoc, as we'll have some marketing related opportunities. Also Select Marketing society would be a good one to join. ComSoc is also having a first year camp :)

HSC
N/A
Mad!!
I'm also interested in advertising, actually. I'm currently an office all-rounder for Starcom Mediavest (media buying and consultancy)... but I'm guessing the advertising at USYD would be theory-based (strategic/planning/buying vs. creative), right? I'm not sure where I'd fit in best anyhow. But the ComSoc camp and all sounds great!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I wouldn't say it is very theory based.
Marketing Principles (first course you do) is obviously theory based, as you need to learn all the grounding. However, it has a very practical element whereby you make a marketing plan for a project.
Marketing research is obviously theory based (but again with a practical element.
Consumer behaviour - the same.
So, it seems that if the trend continues there will be a good balance b/w theory and practice.
I'd imagine the advertising subject to be more practical, whilst the marketing communications one to be theoretical.
I'll be doing the advertising one next semester so can let you know.

I also recommend trying to get a transfer to com (Lib) - it's the perfect degree for marketers :)
Oh and one more thing, you'll want to take management accounting fundamentals (I think that's what it's called). It's a subject for those who arent majoring in accounting and have no further interest in it. From speaking to employers, they all say that as a brand manager or similar position, you will need basic accounting knowlege

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Hopefully I'll be tutoring first and second year marketing subjects in 4th or 5th (honours) year.
One day I plan to lecture in it. I love marketing oh so much :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Oh yeah. p.s. for this advice we must have kinky bumbum sex.
Sorry, stepped out of character by being helpful.
All you faggots must die.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
brogan, you know how I always tell you that I will never get laid up the ass. Well, I take it back.

apprentice, so what will your other majors be?

HSC
N/A
Dunno yet. If I do Arts/Comm do I need three majors? In arts I'm interested in doing stuff like anthropology, sociology and englishishy shits. Maybe something about modern culture if thats available. I really have no idea..
P.s. stazi u sound like a funny lil bitch haha

stazi

Nightman
HSC
why thank you, ill be nice to my fellow marketers and stick to abusing all others....for now.
I don't think you need more than 2 majors but I recommend it. It looks like sex on the CV if you get something else like international business (really short major and interesting too as you can take marketing units for it as well). ALso, when applying for an MBA at some prestigious uni 5 years after your degree (so that you can get a 130k+ salary :eek:) it does look great.

I would think sociology is more relevant towards marketing. Psychology is too (but that's science). Which again brings me back to why it would be good to transfer into commerce (lib studies).

Oh and if you come to comsoc camp you'll see me, as I'm one of the organisers. My ovaries will be ripe for picking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)