Arts and science (1 Viewer)

miraj

mr.47
HSC
Is B of arts and science a double degree or what?

If anyone out there is doing it could they please explain what the course involves. thanks

HSC
No, B Arts and Science is a single degree. You have to do a certain number of senior units from the Arts and Science faculties - and at least one major from one of those departments. You also have to do some compulsory social science units - including sociolegal studies and government units.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Silver Persian said:
No, B Arts and Science is a single degree. You have to do a certain number of senior units from the Arts and Science faculties - and at least one major from one of those departments. You also have to do some compulsory social science units - including sociolegal studies and government units.
Not government subjects, actually - it can be any two junior units from the faculty of economics and business (which as of 2008 doesn't include government).

The BAS is basically an arts degree but with a few pointless core units and an option to replace the arts major with a science major.

Edit: Or, looked at another way, it's a science degree without the usual science core units and with an option to replace the science major with an arts major.

miraj

mr.47
HSC
Silver Persian said:
So its a crappy course?, cause I wanted to do B of Science but i wont make it in U of Syd as you needed 83...sigh, maybe I should do science at UTS or UNSW or MQ

HSC
miraj said:
So its a crappy course?, cause I wanted to do B of Science but i wont make it in U of Syd as you needed 83...sigh, maybe I should do science at UTS or UNSW or MQ
Well...its a little bit of an oddball course:

-If you like variety - and you're interested in science, arts and social sciences - then you might enjoy this course
-If you are primarily interested in science, you have to remember that you would be spending a considerable amount of time doing arts+social sciences subjects

The other thing to remember is that you might be able to transfer into the B Science course at USyd after doing B Arts and Science for a year. Obviously, that can't be guaranteed though.

Addictd2

HSC
people have said B Arts and Sciences is pretty crappy. one said coz the eco/bus subjects you require are limited and its like the shitty leftover ones. try it out and then try transferring in 2nd year if u dont like it. another friend is doing that :p

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Addictd2 said:
one said coz the eco/bus subjects you require are limited and its like the shitty leftover ones.
Yeah, you can't do the directly career-oriented ones (accounting, finance, marketing) and the humanities (government and international relations, political economy) have changed faculty, so now the only ones you can do are economics, econometrics, commercial law and business information systems. Because those are what you should be studying in an arts and science degree, obviously.

Sinitivity

HSC
Mhmm, I've sort of dubbed this course as the "Ultimate Entrepreneurial" course for flippy floppy I REALLY don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life, type people; entrepreneurial for those who didn't get into Commerce Liberal studies. I mean with Table C you get the International Business and Business law, then you can learn a language (CHINESE!@!@&!) - you can do Information Systems - which is becoming increasingly important in the world of business. Disregard the Socio-legal studies because it's completely pointless and somewhat useless... it being available for 2 semesters and all, leaving you to take up something better and more useful.

I was just wondering if you could major in something like International Business or Business law?

I hope the course isn't a sick joke =)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)