Art Theory revision for HSC (1 Viewer)

frazzle

HSC
Majorworks aside now, time to do some art theory!

I'm stuck though, how does one actually study for the exam? It's not like English where it's all structured and you know exactly what to prepare for.

So how are you studying? Doing general reading up on art history? Practising analysing plates? Practise essays?

I need suggestions for I am one hopelessly lost case =(

soso

HSC
N/A
download old papers off BOS site and practise timed answers.

Summarise the course areas into headings such as
Subjective: Mind body and Soul

Revise the 5 case studies you should do in year 12

bubble_tea

I went to the sydney uni hsc lecture day for art..

basically you have to know your terminology, art movements, artists & stuff critics say about them.. and analyse alot of artworks while you're at it

V

val_dramaqueen

just get a revision guide and read that a few too many times hahaha... thats what i do for every other subject hehehehe

but then again... i am a failure??? :rolleyes:

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
ART theory is the easiest!!!!!!
its way easier than any subject you can ramble on about ANYTHING, add the citations and FRAMES and your got all the marks! there is no wrong, unless you leave out the main shit!

you need to know
subjective, postmodern,structural,cultural + contemporary frames + 5 case studies
know 1 case study (an essay) inside out!

V

val_dramaqueen

easy for you to say! its damn hard!.. but im getting better tee hee hee

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
art theory ish hard but aload of bullshit.. u just yap yap yap on.. concentrate on *symbolism*

y worry peeps.. art exam ish on the 3rd last day of hsc.. we hav plenty of time :D

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
lol I just waffle, throw in any terms I can think of... all I have to do to waffle successfully is to throw in a couple of artworks here and there in my responses....

So yeah, know the frames, terms and artists/artworks and periods and you're pretty much set...

I hate art theory....

frazzle

HSC
ack, I don't think we DID 5 case studies =( but I can always read up etc. Thanks!
and yeah, the babbling on... what I'm good at, now if only my hand is still working by the last exam!

libgem

would you say it was safe just to study 1-2 case studies in detail?? I usually just focus on one and it always fits into at least 2 of the 9

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
If you're talking about case studies of artists... well, I'd do at least 3 to be on the safe side. I think the reason they want you to do 5 is so that you can show your breadth of knowledge, as well as depth. Otherwise, I'd say 2 in detail and 2 in less detail.

Edit: Forgot to say, I did my exam last year, and I ended up using all five of the artist case studies I did for post-modernist art. But... I was enthusiastic. Maybe too enthusiastic. :D

Last edited:
V

val_dramaqueen

what is this "case study" you speak of?

I can't say that i listened much in classes

frazzle

HSC
*sigh* same, i'm either half a lesson late [not my fault they're on friday mornings!] or i drift off...

a case study is where you study a particular artist and thei relationship to the frames and the concepts. we need to refer to them in the essay in the HSC. [correct me if i'm wrong]

thinking back to class and looking at my notes, we have done 5 case studies at school, but most of them are a bit sketchy, so i'm planning to do my own case studies on the artists i did in year 11.

mittens

HSC
for sure it's easy if u put in the yards

basically u need to know how to analyse anything put infront of u, u need to know the period of art it belongs to and then u need to analyse it's purpose using that frame of mind. if u have a rather historical piece then u can use the frames to analyse it. according to the question u find it in of course.

now i know for a fact that the art exam is going to be set out with 2 questions. question 1 has 3 parts to it. question 1 (a) is worth 5 marks-standard question 1(b) is worth 8 marks and question 1(c) is worth 12 marks. all together the section is worth 25 marks.

now i cant tell u exactly how each question will be set out but they always examine you on the frames, conceptual framework (which is the circle of influence of: artist, artwork, world..... and critic? -i think) and artists practise is the third area.

each of these three parts will focus on one of those three areas and every one of those three areas is covered. make sure you make use of every little detail ineach of these questions! citations (the little descriptions next to the plates) are so damn valuable to understanding and interpreting the artwork! make sure you use them lest you loose marks in ignoring it.

in question 2 you will have those three areas to choose from again and you will be called to write an essay. this essay alone is worth another 25 marks. but dont fret. you have nine essays to choose from, three from each section. my advice is to choose an area you know pleanty of artists who relate to it and in saying that.. atleast 5 artists and atleast 4 of their artworks from each artist! then by golly are u set!

wow i didnt mean to write so much! i hope this helps u!

V

val_dramaqueen

wow... sure does!! holy crap!!

basically, what we did, we did ones in class and then were told to do some out of class, on our own... i think?

i should be right now that ive got this forum! holy crap!
who needs school when you got bos forums?

~*~Karina~*~

Yeah basically we have to study the case studies we did (supposedly 5, but when you have a teacher like mine, it turns out to be 3), and that kinda gives you a broad range of artists that you can write about in the exam. Being able to ramble on about things, while including symbolism, contextual frame, and the Post-modern, structural, cultural and subjective frames....and relating it all together...should get us good marks.

miffytoki

HSC
i've gotten through the whole year with one essay...you know how every year the HSC has that bunch of multiple essay questions at the end? they're usually around the same questions....i picked a frame one (one based on structural frame) and wrote up an essay on 3 artists analysing their artworks in big detail....i used to do 5 artists with 2 in big detail and got 25/25, but our teachers (whove marked the HSC before said that its jsut as good as writing about 3 in greater detail...i did that and got 23/25 (the marker said i had some wording that sounded awkward which was why i lost marks not the case study thing)..my advice is pick 2 essay questions that have been similar every year of the HSC and memorise.......but be careful they only have 3 frame questions so memorise 2 essays if u're picking a frame...

for the short answer....u should be able to answer it all anyway cos they're all meant to be "unseen"...just keep an eye on the clock...u do come across artworks u've seen before but your knowledge doesn't really help in relation to the questions......just answer the question and use their language...like say "art agency", "world", "audience", "this can be intrepreted from the structural frame" even if it sounds a bit weird...

frazzle

HSC
where would I find past papers etc? we get all these past questions for english and basically every other subject, but never anything for art!

if you have past essay questions post them up?

cheers!

bubble_tea

how about going through standards packages?
shit thing is that they don't give you most of the images for section I because of copyright.. or you could always ask your art teacher, i'm sure they'd help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)