Art fanatics (1 Viewer)

lazybum

HSC
N/A
hi i hear caravaggio is to be on at NSW art gallery. I just love the Baroque style and so am DEFINITELY going. Who else is ? Also my best painting ever - Gentileschi's Judith and Holofernes is there . anybody else love gentileschi?

does anybody know of a good drawing class and/or a painting class on in the holidays? should be in the eastern suburbs. i picked up my pencil after ages of not drawing and surprise surprise - i couldn't draw!!! i almost cried, art is my life ! anywayz i gotta get the feel for it back again .

^___^
HSC
does drawing cartoon call as art fanatics?

cos occasionally when i'm bored i pick up a pen and paper and starts drawing cartoons...

lazybum

HSC
N/A
mebe you guya like art but you are NOT art posessed like mwa (yours truely)
anybody gone to AGNSW lately? the new asian section is amazing!! i really want to learn their in kdrawing style. additionally, their directional drawing ( going down insteas of sideways) is fabulous. i especially loved the inricate village depicted on a four pannelledpainting at the right from the entrance - asian art is FASCINATING

went to see colin mcmahon and sorry- art that has no skill doesn't interest me. i mean i love marcel duchamp, but that's because he was the archetype of postmodernism, and even though his art was not skill, the meaning behind it is skill and ingenuity, in my humle opinion. Mcmahon's art doesn't interest me because its imitation art, anyone can nowadays graffitti and everyone can get away with it, so putting his artwork in the gallery is merely repetition of a cliche'd idea.

dobell prize was pretty good, but the winner was a shocker. very unimpressive indeed, consisting of a few scribbles on black, what hhas art come to?!
the one i really liked was the couple kissing in the huge skyscraper with the huge city metropplitis in the background. i also liked the pastel drawing in three pannels of people screaming ( can't explain!!)

i've been trying to paint with watercolour, anyone know how to use em well with special effect???

miss_pie

HSC
ah MCCahon is amazing! he did his work before graffiti was a popular concept, i mean the guy died in 87. (plus he was an alcoholic religious fanatic, i doubt he was into exploiting popular trends) i love that it was his entire life, that he painted with anything and everything upon anything and everything. he expressed his ideas in a beautiful way... i love the concept of art expression through text, incorporating biblical concepts and personal perceptions.. he's one of the artists i studied for my proposal for my BOW based on his religious references.

peace

Last edited:

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
the exhibition of his stuff at AGNSW just now was pretty cool. and he does have talent. manages to make religious art interesting. his lettering style is really distinctive, and i love it how he's managed to convey all the religious stuff in an abstract style (all the numbers, and the 12 stations series, etc). his style reminds me of imants tillers a bit.

i'd choose his stuff over caravaggio and co. any day. technically he [caravaggio] is very accomplished, but conceptually it's not really my thing. why paint what you see when it's already there?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by lazybum
does anybody know of a good drawing class and/or a painting class on in the holidays?
the mca holds an art school in the second week of january every year.. or try going to evening classes at community colleges, they're supposed to be heaps fun.

the agnsw also has workshops but they're very expensive.

Originally posted by saladsurgery
technically he [caravaggio] is very accomplished, but conceptually it's not really my thing. why paint what you see when it's already there?
i agree with you, traditional art too often seems to be just painting what's there..but often that's just what you think on first impressions. caravaggio does more than paint what's in front of him- he captures the violence and passion in a frozen moment which the naked eye cannot observe in a flash second

mckezz

I just went to caravaggio on the weekend. AWSOME. All of the works there are in much the same renaissance style but you could really tell the differnece in quality between his and other works. caravaggio's were so much sharper and striking. im going now....

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
i love Impressionism. Postmodernism can also be very interesting (concept-wise) although sometimes is difficult and annoying to analyse...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)