Art Express? (1 Viewer)

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
some schools impose that gay rule... ours didnt on the basis that you should be able to finetune your skills and use them if you want.... cos anyone could take outside workshops and whatever if they wanted to, that means they have an advantgae over anyone who didnt... etc.

Chris Lloyd

If you want to get into art-express you can't do anything too different.

Emotional drawing/sketches/charcoals of grandparents/refugees/friends are a good choice. Teenage angst always gets nominated but rarely gets in.
Sculpture is hard unless you do somthing which either includes balloons/soft cubes/rusting metal (which you could do nothing to and get good marks because they see the virgin mary in the rust). Bowls and vases are sooo last centuary.
Digital works can be hard to get in because what most people do are emo Photoshop filter crazy manipulations of their pixilated camera phone photos. Don't do that and you'll get in.
Mixed media? Make it look complicated and have some refrence to Darwinistic ideas and thats a ticket.
For the animation films you have to either get nude (in tasteful *mature* kinda way), be from the bush (they think its shows off facilities in the outback), refrence plato (other greek philosophers wont do because people haven't heard of them), or do somthing entirely in 3D (even if it looks like you've laminated dog shit, and means about as much).

Art Express, I figure, is a game. I don't mean to offend the people who have got in, but if all the people who got 40/50 get in, and are encouraged to continue with art, what will that mean for the future of art in NSW? If I got 50/50 (i won't) but didn't get into AE, i would be less inclined to persue it after school. Bit like the archibalds I guess, the winners that are picked are part of an agenda.

gong-guy

here i am
HSC
hey im sorry if i upset u or made u angry i never went out to make it sound like that u guys should not be in art express because u should i was just telling my story i think its great that some of u have been pre selected and i do understand that u run out of time. as i said i spent all year on my bow but i finished making my major design project the night before which was due the same day as art LOL and i finished my pip a few days b4 it was due as well so i understand were u r comming from and i did not mean to piss u off.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
our works havent even been marked yet and ppl are talking about getting into art express......

arooshika...

HSC
Chris.Lloyd said:

Emotional drawing/sketches/charcoals of grandparents/refugees/friends are a good choice. Teenage angst always gets nominated but rarely gets in.
Sculpture is hard unless you do somthing which either includes balloons/soft cubes/rusting metal (which you could do nothing to and get good marks because they see the virgin mary in the rust). Bowls and vases are sooo last centuary.
Digital works can be hard to get in because what most people do are emo Photoshop filter crazy manipulations of their pixilated camera phone photos. Don't do that and you'll get in.
Mixed media? Make it look complicated and have some refrence to Darwinistic ideas and thats a ticket.
For the animation films you have to either get nude (in tasteful *mature* kinda way), be from the bush (they think its shows off facilities in the outback), refrence plato (other greek philosophers wont do because people haven't heard of them), or do somthing entirely in 3D (even if it looks like you've laminated dog shit, and means about as much).

Art Express, I figure, is a game. I don't mean to offend the people who have got in, but if all the people who got 40/50 get in, and are encouraged to continue with art, what will that mean for the future of art in NSW? If I got 50/50 (i won't) but didn't get into AE, i would be less inclined to persue it after school. Bit like the archibalds I guess, the winners that are picked are part of an agenda.
thats not basically all true because all my works were photoshoped and i had to do many photoshop tutorials. i have used filters but not overly use them. filters dont really achieve what u want, they just help. ive also seen a few photoshop works into the art express last year and my works have also achieved a high mark to.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Chris.Lloyd said:

Ahahaha, on point!

I mean, to be honest, i don't think my work fits into any of those categories, but i doubt i will get into the final cut anyway.

But yes, I agree with most of what you have said.

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
gong-guy said:
hey im sorry if i upset u or made u angry i never went out to make it sound like that u guys should not be in art express because u should i was just telling my story i think its great that some of u have been pre selected and i do understand that u run out of time. as i said i spent all year on my bow but i finished making my major design project the night before which was due the same day as art LOL and i finished my pip a few days b4 it was due as well so i understand were u r comming from and i did not mean to piss u off.
nah nah im not angry or pissed or upset.... im just explaining that alot of ppl did work hard even if it wasnt consistently... personally, i rekn i got really really lucky to get preselected

Chris Lloyd

Yeah sorry. I wrote all that at 5 am in the morning. I'm not angry or anything at all. I just thought, looking through the AE books, there are alot of similar themes which get through. Also some of the better work won't get through because of the curators agendas. If anybody saw the AE CD for last year, there were two videos on, both of people being chased through an urban landscape. One was amazing (it had a smart twist at the end and the camera work was great) and my teacher who marked it said it got 50/50. The other had passe motion graphics, fairly average camerawork but incorporated teen angst. Which one do you think got into AGNSW?

I'm not pissed off at you irnie. Just observing.

Yeah, and I was saying that filter crazy works DON'T get in. Its good that you understand that Photoshop is only a means to an end. Not many people do.

Also, I found out today, if you haven't got a letter saying you've been nominated yet, don't worry. They haven't finished marking them all and probably won't for a couple of weeks. And it'll take a while for letter to come through anyway.

However, if you still haven't got a letter by Christmas, I would worry. ;)

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
Chris.Lloyd said:

lmao.... these things are so very true... mine doesnt fit into any of those either and i dont rekn it'll make the final cut either.

you didnt mention anything about photography...

misspash

HSC
who cares how much you paid for your major work...the board of studies dont!

irnie said:
hey, just becos i pulled mine together towards the end.... doesnt mean im not passionate about it. i spent all of yr 11 planning mine.... so many sketches, everything.... and then in yr 12 i just had to pull up my performance in all other subjects that i'd been neglecting for art... and then by the time i was gettin ready to start it was too late to do what i'd originally wanted to. so i got disheartened and just left it..... and instead just put everything into my photographic bodies of work cos they didnt count for anything... i had been just taking photos for months, experimenting and doing it just for the sake of takin photos. so when it got really close to the deadline, i had to do my PIP (on art) and put everything into that... and then i pretty much just had my two wks of trials and one week after til the deadline. so i did shit in my trials... spent the whole time arranging and rearranging the hundreds of photos i had from experimenting... then something finally bloomed... i took another 6 rolls or so... when you're passionate about the work, or when i was about mine, it was all i could do.... im talkin day and night, thats all i worked on everyday.... i stopped goin to classes for anything else... so i probably ended up putting in the 60+ hrs that everyone who worked on it for a yr did... except mine was just solidly in 3 wks without much sleep. and finally my teachers and i all started gettin excited over it and adding something or changing something every day... in that 3 wks, i put together a series of 24 photos, two short films and a window mounted panel with documentation of having exhibited my work. so anything is possible.... just cos i pulled it in at the 11th hour doesnt mean i took the easy way out or anything, i worked just as hard.... and in total for my BOW, i woulda taken over 20 rolls of film.... 14 of my images were blown up to A3 and the other 10 A4 and all mounted on foam core... so my BOW cost me somewhere between $700 and $900 from what i've calculated... and i paid for ALL of it myself.... with my money i earnt thru retail!! so goddam dont whinge if you think those who pulled it together at the end didnt work hard for it or arent as passionate as those who worked on it consistently...

:D thats just my 2 cents on the matter

A couple of days ago i was fortunate to have been told that my major work has been nominated for artexpress and of course i am stoked. After reading a few comments and listening to a few class mates go on about how much they paid for their works and last minute 'resolvements' the BOARD OF STUDIES and MARKERS do no take it into consideration.

I have seen some talented works and hard efforts go into works but remember it is the quality and concept being conveyed within the work that will show reslovement and will reflect your marks. I know someone who paid 600+ for their major work and thought the cost would produce the quality of their work...they were wrong.

I am happy to say with dedication, passion, a good art teacher, $200 and a good concept i was able to produce a quality visual work worth 60+ hrs.

So if you think of whinging about how much you paid or if you drained the hours out of the last 3 days before it was due, think about those who were not nominated, who dont or did not complain about how much they paid or go whinge about the week pior before the submission due date.

millicent

yeah hey juzzy. you're right, there aren't many of us millicents... we are very very rare. in fact, as far as i know, i'm the only one on earth under the age of 97.

yeah beth did her surf club... it was amazing... that girl has so much talent.

how's stuff with you? we're keeping it all together, everything is going really well considering it's the hsc n all. can't wait til its over though...

what was your bow? do you have photos? can you email them to me? i'd love to see it. remember back in the junior days when you already had your bow planned and you wouldn't tell any of us your concept? is it the same idea you've been storing away all these years??

i think there's still time for you to get into artexpress... fingers crossed for you mate! xx anyway, best of luck for the rest of your exams.

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
misspash said:
A couple of days ago i was fortunate to have been told that my major work has been nominated for artexpress and of course i am stoked. After reading a few comments and listening to a few class mates go on about how much they paid for their works and last minute 'resolvements' the BOARD OF STUDIES and MARKERS do no take it into consideration.

I have seen some talented works and hard efforts go into works but remember it is the quality and concept being conveyed within the work that will show reslovement and will reflect your marks. I know someone who paid 600+ for their major work and thought the cost would produce the quality of their work...they were wrong.

I am happy to say with dedication, passion, a good art teacher, $200 and a good concept i was able to produce a quality visual work worth 60+ hrs.

So if you think of whinging about how much you paid or if you drained the hours out of the last 3 days before it was due, think about those who were not nominated, who dont or did not complain about how much they paid or go whinge about the week pior before the submission due date.
get stuffed... as if i was even whingeing about it.. im just saying that i put a lot of work into mine, as did everyone else. i know full well that the markers dont take it into consideration. if you could manage a great work with $200 then kudos to you. and FYI, i didnt spend all that moolah thinkin ooh if i spend all this money i might get in.. i was purely lucky i had such great teachers who helped me realise an actual work outta all my experimental stuff. LUCKY... so im far far from complaining

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
anyway, no need for spite or whingeing.... anybody got pics of their works? i'd love to see what's possibly gonna make the final cut

bre

Mine got sent away, but there are some at my school that are still getting marked internally on.. Thursday I think?

There is NO WAY mine would get into art express (despite what my friends think and my consistent 48 + marks all year).

I found last years art express insipid and was so tired of teen angst crap. So I went all out in post-moderness and made a giant sperm costume, went into the city and busked in it.

My work was a collection of works, greatly inspired by many conceptual artists, esp. Josuth Kosuth... Took his "Titled: art as idea (as idea)" and appropriated a definition of the word "life" (my work was called “the meaning of life”)... and then subtly incorporated all the various definitions into the documentation of this sperms life who busked in the city.

And then I took Kubler-Ross's 5 stages of dying theory and aligned it with this sperm cells life (because he didn't make it to the egg - he was just one of millions, with seemingly, no real point to his life - and a sperm can live up to 5 days in a womans uterus). The busking thing comments on a sperms potential that he holds.. (who knows?? the cure for cancer could be going down the drain of a pimple-faced teenage boys shower right now!) ...and this particular nameless sperm held great potential in the field of interpretive dance. And so I showed each stage through the music that I danced to as this sperm (eg. Denial: Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees.. Anger: Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana.. Bargaining: Running up that hill - Kate Bush.. Depression: all by myself - Eric Carmen.. Acceptance: My Way - Frank Sinatra)

And so on one level you can see that the "meaning of life" is shown to you through this sperms futility - he had so very little chance to begin with... A life of nothing but failure.. and was born only to die..

or, contradictory to this

you can realise that despite all odds, you (the individual as an audience) were once that very sperm who actually made it, thus giving your life plenty of meaning

plus

there's the smart arse literal meaning I put in there and the incorporated into the rest of the work..

And so it’s very audience-based, and I kinda just ask the audience to have a look at their own perspective on life and yeah… I thin you get what I mean..

it was documented through film and photography (i had a "sperm crew" who came out with me to the city who I made special shirts for and did all the dirty work for me - they loved it though) and you wouldn't believe the amount of organisation that was required of me. But it was very worth it... especially just to see how people reacted to seeing a giant oversized sperm starting fights with traffic poles in martain place to a blasting "Smells like teen spirit" ...

Yeah, it's entirely conceptual (that’s why I really wanted the Kosuth reference in there) and aesthetically.. it looks like total shit. I handed in my costume too as a part of it (entirely hand sewn.. took about 5 months) and we had to make a box to send it in... It wasn't even box shaped... it was er... very postmodern, and had a LOT of masking tape... that thing will be harder to open then those Egyptian pyramids... and then when they open it they're going to be so confused.... >_>

I don't know if they will... "get" it....

And even if I do, I'm sure you can see why there is no way they'll want me for art express - I'm far too weird and am poking fun at their precious, usual, predictable selections.

But I've been asked by my local community to have my work exhibited, which is cool.

Oh. and someone asked about the NAS. I did life drawing as well as The Dobell Art School life drawing before that.

Yeah.. have a nice day and congrats to those who get the good marks and the spots in art express... don't worry about people like me - we're just bitter =)

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
wow that concept is SOOOO awesome and original... i hope you get in.... i'd love to see the documentation at the agnsw hahahha.... i laugh... i see it now....

bre

Cheers!

I was proud of me anyway.

Even if the year 7's thought i was a tooth

<_<

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
and i so agree with you about last yrs display being stupid, boring and insipid.... some of the digital works i saw.... ICK!

bre

Yeah.. we had to write a review... mine was kick-arse...
full of bitchy sarcasm and smart arse remarks...

I'd post it if I could find it on my computer.. oh well.

Chris Lloyd

irnie said:
get stuffed...
lol

Anyway, I HATED all the digital videos last year. Did anybody see that claymation aboriginal, who would move by simply floating across the floor? Or the arrogent guy who got nude in the elevator. Or the the fire dancing one which went on for the full 6 mins (or so it seemed). Or the 3D one which flew around a castle, but every object was indistinguishable from the next. Or the stopmotion spiderman one where you could see the camera and people walking behind it in the reflection in the mirror? Ahhhh... many laughs to be had...

However, there were a couple of good ones like the guy who did the "commerical art". "Ducamps (Bunnings), place for all your found object needs".. ha ha. And the stickfigure flash animation made laugh (with it).

Hopefully this year should be better.

Uh yeah, photography... B&W always works, follow same subjects as painting and charcoal etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

gong-guy

here i am
HSC
hey irine could u post some of your art works would love to see them and any1 else i would really like 2 c what every1 has come up with this year seeing art express was not that great last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)