Art express ? ? (1 Viewer)

puffinmuffin

HSC
Need help on the following question

'Artworks shape the way we understand culture'. With reference to this statement explain how the artist has raised awarness of political,economic or social issues.

heres the artwork---

imnotwallace

HSC
its a collage right? So it basically is a compilation of images surrounding a common theme.
Well, there's cages, references to the first fleet, "INVASION". The person at the center of all this is our subject, showing how these issues directly impact him/them?

Logey

HSC
reference postmodernism and use the frames. There is pretty blatant politicall stuff in here, eg the aboriginal and the word 'invasion'.

squarebot

HSC
It's quite shocking and in-your-face. You could write something about that regarding one of the frames?

(haha I'm not in an art-theory frame of mind right now)

phuck

HSC
I really disliked this artwork because it completely ripped off Basquait's aesthetic and concept. There wasn't much originality - the student could've added more elements that would've made it more distinctly Australian and/or personal.

BUT enough of my rant haha.

Not sure if this is too late, but...

It's clearly a frames question, specifically the cultural frame.

So:

1. appropriation of Basquiat's style = indicative of our postmodern context, as truths can be transformed and transported based on culture, therefore there is no truth
Also shows that the work is retrospective
2. choice to depict aboriginal subject matter but by using non-traditional techniques/colour palette (in terms of both traditional Aboriginal + traditional Western), it shows that our cultures are becoming more integrated, and that Aboriginal identity is still an issue - the nature of the painting shows how confusing the search for an identity is
3. reference particular images, ie. first fleet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)