art assessment task... someone help me out? (1 Viewer)

Stephels

Hey guys if anyone knows how to approach this question can u let me know? I'm stuck because it's portraiture!!!

* Discuss how the practice of artists are influenced by issues, theories and art historians and interpreted in different ways

the genre is: portraiture, self-portraiture

Jase

HSC
hm well .

it does seem quite a general question.

basically you should talk about how art critics, theorists and context affects an artist's artmaking. for example, artists make artworks to comment or challenge politics, society and critics. the way in which a portrait is made or painted or whatnot, reflects social matters which the artist has specifically chosen.

dobell's portrait of joshua smith, for example, was to challenge all the conventions of portraiture. of course, i have no idea why he *actaully* painted the portrait the way he did. but the teachers only really want to hear "challenging issues" and crap like that.

since its portraiture, the obvious choice for examples would be the archibald prize. do some research on the artists, and their concerns.

i have the say , the question is a typically superficial art/english essay type. the sentence doesnt even make sense. be sure you include those keywords though (practice, issues, theories, interpretation)

i hope i made some kind of sense lol.

asha_ramirez

HSC
If I was doing that assessment, I'd look at Frida Kahlo, all her paintings were portraits or self-portraits, and because of her Mexican culture, and her physical problems after her tram-accident there is a lot to write about; especially from a practice point of view, because that's what the question is about. If it was me I'd find examples of particular artists; With Frida Kahlo, look at why she painted, why she chose to paint portraits, her particular style, her use of symbolism, her ties with American culture as opposed to her traditional Mexican culture.

I don't know if that makes much sense, it's just one example of an artist who main focus was portraiture, she's a good one to use!

Goodluck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)