army sponsorship : compared to coop? (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Hello,

check out unimail:
ENGINEERING eDM:

DO YOU WANT TO BE PAID UP TO $27,000p.a. TO COMPLETE YOUR DEGREE?

You've just completed the first year of your Engineering degree.

You're now eligible to become an Australian Defence Force Sponsored
Undergraduate.

If selected, you will continue to study at your current university, and
receive:

* A salary of up to $27,000p.a.
* A rent and textbook allowance
* Free health and dental care
* Your HECS paid for your remaining years of study

After graduating, you'll be an Officer in the Navy, Army or Air Force -
your choice - for the number of years you were sponsored, plus one year.
You'll get a unique opportunity to practice your professional skills,
plus gain experience that'll ensure you stay at the very top of your
chosen field. To find out more about becoming an ADF Sponsored
Undergraduate, visit www.defencejobs.gov.au/officers.

ADF SPONSORED UNDERGRADUATE

WWW.DEFENCEJOBS.GOV.AU <http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/>
Right now, im drooling over the rent and textbook allowance. But does that salary mean you'll get 27k per year while you're at uni, + the salaries when you actually work in the army? Anybody knows?

What do yous reckon with this, compared to coop?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
With four years to graduation $18,548 per year ($711.43 per fortnight)*.

With three years to graduation $22,116 per year ($848.28 per fortnight)*.

With two years to graduation $27,823 per year ($1067.18 per fortnight)*

In final year $29,607 per year ($1135.61 per fortnight)*

Note: Trainees with dependants may be entitled to Trainee's Dependant Allowance which is paid to enable trainees with dependants to receive a salary not less than $32,156 per year ($1233.38 per fortnight)* while training. Conditions apply. Speak to the ADF Careers Adviser for details.

Uniform Maintenance Allowance at a rate of $419 per annum ($16.06 per fortnight)* is paid to assist members to maintain an approved scale of uniforms in good order and condition. This increases to $682 per annum ($26.14 per fortnight)* after commissioning.

Service Allowance at the rate of $9,361 per annum ($359.05 per fortnight)* is paid to all members (except for certain trainee categories) below the rank of Lieutenant Colonel or equivalent. The allowance compensates a member for the unique requirements that service life may impose on an individual and his or her family. It is not payable during Undergraduate sponsorship.

Salary after completion of undergraduate sponsorship will continue to increase based on rank and the number of years of service completed in that rank. Refer to the Salary Scales shown under 'Additional Information' (click on button on the toolbar at top of page).

* Please note that these figures do not include compulsory deductions for taxation; meals, accommodation and utilities (as applicable); and superannuation. For more details, please refer to the 'Frequently Asked Questions' section (click on 'Additional Information' on the toolbar at the top of the window), and 'Conditions of Service'.

Fixed Period Of Service
Undergraduates will be appointed for an Initial Minimum Period of Service of the period of sponsorship plus an additional 365 days, or until the expiry of the members Return of Service Obligation (ROSO), whichever is the greater.
NB: This means that if you have 3 years till graduation you will be working up to 4 years afterwards in the army/navy/airforce although the starting pay is pretty good the higher level stuff isnt near what you would get in the civilian world.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/careers_explorer/ go to here to see all the information.

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
The army wants trained professionals ;)

Go and plan a strike, revise, gather intel, make test scenarios, ~est till complete 15yrs, hello Info Sys People to the Army :p

asdf

HSC
hmm i got that exact email too. Im really considering it, but what does an officer do anyway?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
boss around subordintes?

hehe nar in all seriousness....theyre required to run the army and need effefctive leadership skills. I was considering it but yeah the pay in later years isnt so good (specially if i become a surgeon) and I dont like the idea of supporting the army as an organization on the whole.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:
that's probably because you're third year already :p
Actually, I am still stage 2 even though I should be stage 3 for enrollment because my graphics mark is not yet realesed. URG!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)