...Armidale (1 Viewer)

g_dob

HSC
can any one tell me what armidale's like? is it close to une? i from syd so maybe any one from syd living there has something to say?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Armidale is pretty cool. Most of the people are nice, however, like most towns, you have the rude ones.

Town would be a 30 minute walk away, but there is a regular bus trip every 30 minutes or so.

I spent most of my life living in Sydney (although the latter half in Port Mac) and love it here. The only down side is the crap weather.

g_dob

HSC
like, is it easy to get work? are there alot of sports clubs in town? does it snow there, any skiing close by? do students usually hang out at town or stay in uni during free time? any beaches near by? what are the people like, mostly students or is it just like any other city?
It just that ive never been to an isolated city like armidale as ive lived most of my life in the eastern suburbs in syd. thanks btw

g_dob

HSC
thanks for the info,
didnt mean to offend anybody, its just that apparently armidale is like 5/6 hrs from any major city thats all , and anyway i rekon it would be great living in that sort of environment (the way i imagine anyway), great for outdoor activities right

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
U need to consider two things...
Where u would like to live...personally its heaps easier living in college...10-15 walk to class...u live with others doing ur degree or units (depends wat ur thinking of doing)...and there is never a dull moment...However saying that doesnt mean that jus picking a random college would be ur 'ideal' arrangement...
Look at past posts on acccomadation here and ull get wat i mean...we ahve lots of metro's at college - and they learn fairly quickly to drop the snobby act (if they are) and jus mellow....one of my really good friends is a city girl through and through..she loves it here...

Second thing...what u want from uni...im being serious when i say that it gets freaking cold here...like im talking ice freezing the window shut....Skiiing....um well when we have a really huge frost we get 'for sale' signs and walk over to rob and slide down their back hill...when it snowed last year it was 3am and everyone was pissed here and we all thought it was great fun to play in it...only problem being most ppl had the flu for the next few weeks...as said - the beach...no...no beach at all...drive to coffs if u want the beach...we do have blue hole...which in the most simple of terms is a huge rock with water in it...so a huge ass puddle....no river, no beach, no ski fields...

if u are serious bout cummin down here from syd id do a tour of the campus first...and watch the weather reports to see jus how cold it gets...and how lil sun exposure u will have...

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Armidale has a population around 20-25k people not 5k.

The version of snow in Armidale is called sleet, yes it does build up some years during winter but most of the time it's just mush. There are no beaches but there is a dam. 30 minutes walk is only for those people who don't know how to bum a lift, then it's more like 4 minutes.

Judging by your posts and research so far I say you would not enjoy it unless you are an alcoholic.5 to 6 hours is nothing, we used to drive to Sydney and brisbane many a weekend leaving Friday night coming back Sunday night. Nothing like a road trip. If you can't get into a metro uni try USQ, it's only an hour from "a major city".

still waiting

HSC
Argonaut said:
Although 7am on a Sunday morning when you're the only one awake is a bit of a bummer.
tell me about it this morning i had to relocate to the hallway at about 6 because of suspicious noises coming from the next room through the paper thin walls, not exactly what i wanted to hear at that hour of the morning wide awake with no hope in hell of goinng to sleep....lol ahhhh the joys of coed living arrangements and copious amounts of alcohol.....

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
I'm not an alcoholic (though a couple of the girls at college reckon I'll be able drink most of the college under the table by the end of the year), and I'm fine.
You probably had an idea of Armidale and college before going, I found a lot of Sydney kiddies lost the plot real early when faced with the shock of it all when they arrived in Armidale after their UAI didn't get them in anywhere else.

Noisy people can be a problem, which is why I tried to never get a courtyard side or groundfloor room assigned to me.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
Anyone coming to see the medieval reenactment event in the pine forrest on the Easter Long Weekend??

Im there, i love doing medieval reenactment...u should come along & check out the long hut (where the taven is:rofl:), the blacksmith, fights, etc.

it took NEMAS (the group who organised it) over 6 months to build the longhut & other wooden buildings (blacksmith, stables, houses).

& though they isnt any showers in the pine forrest (but thank god there's toliets!) we usually use the Uni's showers....thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)