Armenian Genocide - formulating a Q. (1 Viewer)

sleepplease

HSC
Hey Dudes,

Ive changed my topic (about three weeks ago) and decided to look into the Armenian Genocide. I'm working on establishing a question but am finding one difficult to formulate. So far my ideas are:

1) How did (and does) the poltiical anomosity between the Turkish government and Armenian population influence historians' definition of "Armenian Tragedy" as genocide or "massacres" ?

2) To what extent does the context of World War One justify (explain?) the Turkish reprisals on the Armenian population, resulting in 1 million deaths? What information do war documents offer as to whether the deportation of Armenians was necessary as a part of the war strategy, or whether it was a planned, organised ethnic cleansing with origins dating back before WW1?

Obviously neither question is worded articulately or concisely but what do you think about the concepts themselves? Are they historiographical enough? I think I'm still a littel confused about "histiography". I get that it's about what influences a historian's take on events... but does it always have to be a debate between specific historians (Like the US/Vietnam debate between Doris Kearns and Guenter Lewy) - can it be looking at the Turkish government's offical reports, then documents from diplomats, etc. etc.? Hellp.

Zephyrio

HSC
The easiest question you could investigate, for this particular case is: Should the Armenian "Genocide" be recognised as such?

There is still considerable historical debate surrounding this, and your first question alludes to this fact quite nicely. I feel that I can't comment too much further, but what I did to come to my topic was research the various historians what they've had to say. You need not read their books at this stage, but going on the net helps if you just get little snippets of their point of views. To come up with my question, I made three categories of historians, each with varied points of views. Have you researched some historians?

Hmmm, also, be aware that your question doesn't need to be that long, and a lot of what you wrote in those questions can actually be written in your essay synopsis. I remember reading an essay which got full marks, its question being "Why was Stonehenge built?"

Sleepplease, you go to NSG don't you? Why aren't your proposals due at the end of term four? It's particularly problematic if you head into the holidays without a firm direction for your major works.

Sorry, I haven't been of any help have I? All in all, I think your concepts are fascinating, and lend themselves well to some serious historical discussion.

sleepplease

HSC
Sup dude,

Yep I've handed in my proposal but we're allowed to change ideas at any point in time. Are you doing the Armenian Genocide too? Have you FINISHED a draft? (that's just what it sounded like!) jeepers. I feel so underprepared.

Yes, I've been researching historians - I have read their books too.
1) Guenter Lewy (most interesting guy imo)
2) Taner Akcam
3) MuratBelge, Cengiz Aktar I know a bit about
4) Hovannisian

Good idea about grouping historians - the sort of hardcore folk who either vehermently deny any Ottoman culpability and blame Armenian terrorism, the hardcore Armenian folk who deny any sort of context of war leeway, and the soft-core mid-rangers like Lewy who try to see both sides.

Hmmmm.

Zephyrio

HSC
Lol, nah I'm not doign the Armenian genocide.

I'm doing the extent to which the Vichy government contributed to the Final Solution. So many historians I have to work through!

Oooh okay (about your proposals). I just feel like the summer holidays is the best time for you to be firmly entrenching yourself into your projects, yet many schools don't have their proposals due until term two of year twelve. I hear it's the same for EE2 at your school also.

sleepplease

HSC
Well yes, but I'd say most of us would bewel into our EE2s by now. I've got a draft. Proposals are just late for a reason.

Have you done a draft for Ext Hist???

X

xeuyrawp

Zephyrio said:
The easiest question you could investigate, for this particular case is: Should the Armenian "Genocide" be recognised as such?
Discussions like that are a bit sticky because it's essentially a semantic/lexicographic question only answerable by comparisons between other genocides and non-genocides. It's also a label with a lot of subjective emotional baggage which doesn't involve this event ('what's a genocide? Is something more important if it's a genocide?' etc).

There's oodles of historiographical stuff about the Armenian genocide without getting into a classification discussion about it, I think.

Zephyrio said:
I'm doing the extent to which the Vichy government contributed to the Final Solution. So many historians I have to work through!

Oooh okay (about your proposals). I just feel like the summer holidays is the best time for you to be firmly entrenching yourself into your projects, yet many schools don't have their proposals due until term two of year twelve. I hear it's the same for EE2 at your school also.
Sounds like a great question!

You're right about the holidays - get as much done as you can. It's a rule which you'll carry into uni. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:

sleepplease

HSC
homygosh PwarYuex I will catch you when you're online!!! (If you have a moment to spare :) )

Do you see my first post with the two possibel questions, which would you recommend I follow? Any suggestions about how to refine either one? Any suggestions full stop?

Argh, I have ten days to try and scrape together a draft. Stupid topic change.

ala7923

HSC
sleepplease said:
Sup dude,

Yep I've handed in my proposal but we're allowed to change ideas at any point in time. Are you doing the Armenian Genocide too? Have you FINISHED a draft? (that's just what it sounded like!) jeepers. I feel so underprepared.

Yes, I've been researching historians - I have read their books too.
1) Guenter Lewy (most interesting guy imo)
2) Taner Akcam
3) MuratBelge, Cengiz Aktar I know a bit about
4) Hovannisian

Good idea about grouping historians - the sort of hardcore folk who either vehermently deny any Ottoman culpability and blame Armenian terrorism, the hardcore Armenian folk who deny any sort of context of war leeway, and the soft-core mid-rangers like Lewy who try to see both sides.

Hmmmm.
Where did you access Guenter Lewy's book?

philipt12uong

HSC
im also doing the armenian genocide.. im struggling to find and form a question.. sleepplease hows urs going?

X

xeuyrawp

sleepplease said:
homygosh PwarYuex I will catch you when you're online!!! (If you have a moment to spare :) )

Do you see my first post with the two possibel questions, which would you recommend I follow? Any suggestions about how to refine either one? Any suggestions full stop?

Argh, I have ten days to try and scrape together a draft. Stupid topic change.
Stop referring to it as a 'question' - I find it just confuses people. Have a broad topic, read about it, and then see what topic you prefer.

Having a topic in your head before you've done too much work just screws around with students' work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)