Are we supposed to know how exactly the lewis theory of acids and bases works? (1 Viewer)

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
Just wanna know if we need to fully understand the lewis theory, like knowing how the electron pair transfer and that sort works. Because when I was learning this a few months ago I recall my teacher saying that we don't need to know how lewis theory works.... we just need to know the definition. But im doing trial revision and a lot of websites I have been to mention the coordinate covalent bond (is coordinate covalent bond even in the course)?
Cheers

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Just wanna know if we need to fully understand the lewis theory, like knowing how the electron pair transfer and that sort works. Because when I was learning this a few months ago I recall my teacher saying that we don't need to know how lewis theory works.... we just need to know the definition. But im doing trial revision and a lot of websites I have been to mention the coordinate covalent bond (is coordinate covalent bond even in the course)?
Cheers
what i was told that we don't need to know lewis theory 😭 we only should know Lavoisier, humphrey-davis, arrhenius and bronsted-lowry
but maybe don't take my advice, my teacher's been wrong many times

carrotsss

HSC
No you don’t have to understand it, but you should understand why it was needed (the flaws in the Brønsted-Lowry theory)

wizzkids

HSC
It is also good to remember not only BF3 is a Lewis acid, but also Al3+ and Fe3+ are examples of a fairly strong Lewis acids, and pH of FeCl3(aq) is quite low. Students have been asked in the past to explain the effect of various ions on pH of water. FeCl3 is a cheap and popular additive to swimming pool water to lower the pH.
The coordinate covalent bond was examinable in the older pre-2017 syllabus so you will find test questions doing the rounds that belong to the older syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)