Are we meant to know our assessment mark? (1 Viewer)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Now - I've got an estimation (thanks to the ever present Huy - that people are even including in topics! :p) ... but

I don't have "assessment marks" - are we meant to know these? I was told by my school that the policy was that we weren't allowed to find out the assessment mark that they send in to the BOS...

And that's my question. Because if so, I feel cheated!

well ... ta ra.

CypriotStallion

Your school is telling you the truth, and they dont tell you your assessment mark because the BOS scale it according to how well you and your school go.
the only thing the school gives you is your overall rank in each subject.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yes, that is true.

The school is allowed to tell you your current (or now "final") rankings in particular subjects, but they won't be able to tell you "who came 25th" for example.

Our school does the following:

Anyone who comes 1st in a subject gets known/publicised.

The rankings can then be:

* shown to the students, his own ranking (hiding everyone else's rank)

OR

the rankings can be read out in class, if the other students are okay with other kids knowing their rank.

With assessment marks, you will have to keep track of them yourself:

* Using the assessment calendar
* Using your school's own "assessment sheets" which detail the task, outcomes being tested, weighting of the task, marking guidelines/criteria, etc

Then you will keep track of your assessments as you get them back, convert the marks into weightings, keep those figures to say 6 decimal places (as my school does), or fractions, and then tally them up after the trials so you'll have a mark out of 50 or 100 (1U or 2U courses).

:)

www.studentsonline.nsw.edu.au will be a useful website towards the end of the year, after the HSC. Bookmark it :)

You're not cheated in any way.

You're supposed to (well, at my school everyone does) keep a record of every task, their weightings, when something is due, how much they're worth (%'s) and then when we get them back, people keep track of who's where, who's currently 1st, who's beating who (talking to people, asking Q's with mates, etc) and then we have a good idea as to who will top a subject and our final assessment marks.

Fingers... cracking... slowing... down... *left hand fingers numb*

Nupil

HSC
N/A
You broke it!

Congrats Huy - you are now part of the 3000 crew! *throws some confetti around*

But thanks for that!

I've got all my assessments ... and their weightings ... but due to my mathematical handicap they're still sitting there in their original form. Yahoo for that.

But thankyou both for confirming that my school wasn't trying to trick me ... this time atleast. I'm sure they're up to something. They always are. Plotting and planning.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Nupil
Congrat Huy - you are now part of the 3000 crew! *throws some confetti around*
But thanks for that!
I've got all my assessments ... and their weightings ... but do to my mathematical handicap their still sitting there in their original form.
not a problem nupil (slow typing means that i can't hit the shift key and capitalise things lol)

thanks for the confetti and celebrations :)

well, if you've got all your ass'ments and weightings, you can figure them out.

take out your calculator (or do it on computer), or even if you're lame like me... you can compile a spreadsheet and have it auto-update itself (throughout the year).

punch in a raw mark and the computer does the conversions and totals for you :D

Nupil

HSC
N/A
or even if you're lame like me... you can compile a spreadsheet and have it auto-update itself (throughout the year).
You have an excel spreadsheet! That's fantastic!

I made a spreadsheet up for my exams - it was highly colourful and killed the eyes really ... but I was proud. I'm not much with the computer - do you think it's helped you keeping your marks consolidated? ... and didn't you have a thread for someone to help estimate your UAI? Whatever happened to it?

And I might fiddle around with excel tonight ... not that it'll really mean much considering we have about 6 days, but meh.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Nupil
You have an excel spreadsheet! That's fantastic!
You haven't seen it yet ;) :p

It's just:

* subject
* tasks

weightings column
converted weightings
raw marks (i enter marks here)
ranks (i update this myself, as the computer only has 1 set of data - my ones)

pop in my raw marks
the comp looks at the weightings for that task, it then converts it for me into whatever weighting (say a raw mark out of /75 will then be converted to 15%)

then i've got a row with the totals,
it tabulates itself by updating the details

other fields are fixed to 6 decimal places (like my school's system, i believe they have OASIS like most)

ranks are then entered by me (not hard to change 1 number, and it's not hard to enter a figure as your raw mark)

the hard part was linking everything and getting all the weightings correct (from the BOS booklets and my school's data sheets - assessment calendars and timetables, etc)

do you think it's helped you keeping your marks consolidated? ... and didn't you have a thread for someone to help estimate your UAI? Whatever happened to it?
It has, i used to have a manual system. where i had a poster up on the wall and the same sort of deal.

all the tasks listed, weightings, raw marks and i converted the marks and updated the totals myself (good old pen and pencil + hand held calculator)

lol :)

about the thread, i deleted it.
i created it twice and thought "nah... everyone hates predict my uai threads" -- that is, when you have hundreds of them popping up just before the HSC

Nupil

HSC
N/A
I would quote you ... but you do realise the first 1/2 of your post decided to fly oh about 3 metres above me?!

Well you can definitely pick up who is the computer nerd out of us two, can't you! (Naturally, me ofcourse :p)

I only ask about your thread, because I was going to take a jab at it (regardless of the fact it'd be based on absolutely nothing but all the responses you've given people ... ) and I think scores of people would be happy to predict your UAI - considering you keep the "predict my UAI" threads thriving... but I'll guestimate that you'll do dandy for IT/IPT/Whatever computer based subject it is that you do ... you have an excel spreadsheet! :p

Oh and I was wondering - if Burwood Girls High School is placed 80th (from the 120 HSC school list from last year - posted by ragerunner) ... that will determine some aspect of my results, oui? (And you neednt bother going into depths explaining it - just would like some confirmation)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Well you can definitely pick up who is the computer nerd out of us two, can't you! (Naturally, me ofcourse :p)
of course! :)
but I'll guestimate that you'll do dandy for IT/IPT/Whatever computer based subject it is that you do ... you have an excel spreadsheet!
I do IPT (thought about sdd, but decided against it). thanks, im pretty good at the subject i suppose :)

well, we've done a few projects with spreadsheets, but it has been mostly word processing and database/dbms work (microsoft access)
if Burwood Girls High School is placed 80th (from the 120 HSC school list from last year - posted by ragerunner) ... that will determine some aspect of my results, oui?
yes.

im not too familiar with "how your school effects you" but it has more to do with "how your peers can effect your mark"

if you're 1st however, you have no worries and are immune to such 'adverse' (if any) effects :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Didn't you use to do SDD Huy?

And failed it? hahah

Or you never picked it up at all?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Didn't you use to do SDD Huy?
And failed it? hahah

Or you never picked it up at all?
lol where are you getting this from? stop making stuff up lol.

i never picked it up at all.
i thought about it, because i knew some guys who are (currently) doing sdd and they're finding the course interesting/complex

ive never done sdd in my life :)

yr 11: 13U
yr 12: 14U (picked up EE2, prereq of EE1 in the prelim)

thats it

*really really tired*
i'll be back at ... later tonight

play nice kids :D

(and my typing will be better, upper case and 'nice/formal')

Huy

HSC
N/A
'crazy is as crazy does'

Nupil

HSC
N/A
They say 'stupid is a stupid does' too :p

Thanks for clearing that up!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
lol where are you getting this from? stop making stuff up lol.
lol.

i thought i remembered you posted in the SDD section a fair bit long ago.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
cant be bothered reading what the others posted, but this is the story:
You ARE allowed to know:
your trial mark
your trial rank
your course rank
your raw mark (but you have to do it yourself, add up all your assessments, taking into account their weighting)
You ARE NOT allowed to know:
your scaled mark

Jeo

but u put aligned marks into UAI seeker and if it gives you approx the same UAI, you can see the scaled marks

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The school is actually allowed to give you your final raw assessments marks as well, the Board simply recommends to them that they don't. It is then up to each school to determine a policy accordingly.

Also, the algorithms which determine your scaled marks and UAI are not aware of the school you attend. Whilst the marks of your classmates can affect the moderation of your assessment mark, the actual school you attend has no direct influence.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
i thought i remembered you posted in the SDD section a fair bit long ago.
I posted once or twice in SDD, but it was because I used IPT to backup what I said in there (someone asked a few Q's which I thought I could help with/answer) :)
The school is actually allowed to give you your final raw assessments marks as well, the Board simply recommends to them that they don't.
Is that because when your Assessment Mark gets reported on your HSC Certificate you'll see the difference between raw and reported Assessment Marks? Or is there another process involved (which is 'complicated') and churns out a different figure?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Is that because when your Assessment Mark gets reported on your HSC Certificate you'll see the difference between raw and reported Assessment Marks? Or is there another process involved (which is 'complicated') and churns out a different figure?
Both, really. The Board is trying to prevent confusion. Personally I think a better approach would be to promote understanding... :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)