Are these 'Low scaling subjects'? (1 Viewer)

Felix-x34

Asylum Request Pending
HSC
Hey there,

Ive been told by some that ive chosen 'Low scaling subjects', while others say not to worry about it. Im a little bit annoyed if thats the case, because when I was selecting, nobody told me about the whole 'Scaling' thing.
Subjects below:

ENG Advanced

LEGAL

BUSINESS

MOD HIS

DRAMA

IPT (Dropping tomorrow)

Anyways, if you could comment on the above, both from personal exp and from what youve heard.

Cheers folks

HSC
Scaling will barely affect you if you go well. Don't waste your time worrying about something you cannot change.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Felix-x34 said:
Hey there,

Ive been told by some that ive chosen 'Low scaling subjects', while others say not to worry about it. Im a little bit annoyed if thats the case, because when I was selecting, nobody told me about the whole 'Scaling' thing.
Subjects below:

ENG Advanced

LEGAL

BUSINESS

MOD HIS

DRAMA

IPT (Dropping tomorrow)

Anyways, if you could comment on the above, both from personal exp and from what youve heard.

Cheers folks
1) scaling does exist, no matter what people say.
2) http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2005.pdf There's a 2007 one iirc, but I can't be bothered looking- just did a quick google search for 'UAC scaling'.
3) i had a little look at the table a few weeks ago and for your subjects all i can say is that an HSC mark of 90 in modern went down to 88 for whatever year I saw it. From memory adv eng didn't move too much. No idea about your other subjects though.
4) but yeah, no point worrying about it now.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Business Studies is a 'low scaling' or 'lolbiznissstudies' subject, but do well enough, and if your year group does well in the HSC exams you should be just fine.

English Advanced practically doesn't move at all.
Don't know about the others.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Every subject is low scaling, if you get <70 in pretty much any subject bar ext 2 maths or latin extension, you mark will get scaled down

However any subject combination has the potential to get 99+

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I think you'd better download Einstein UAI calculator and type in your HSC marks. It shows you the scaled marks you will get.

eg If ESL 90 ---> 88.2
biology 100---> 99.4

From here I'm pretty sure to get a scaled up in the total aggregate marks, I must get English above 95, etc.

Pretty easy to use.

ccc123

HSC
veloc1ty said:
Scaling will barely affect you if you go well. Don't waste your time worrying about something you cannot change.
This is true. I've given up reseraching it/ trying to understand how it will affect me, but I;ve realised the bottom line is/are:

*Scaling exists. its an inevitable truth. You don;t know how exactly it will affect you because it changes every year.

*The only reason why there are traditionally high-sclaing subjects and low scaling subjects is because certain subjects typically attract a certain calibre of students.

*If you do well, scaling won;t matter much anyway.

--END

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Table A3 is the relevant table for scaling data.

Also, although a lot of courses appear to scale down, its all relative. Think about it. If all the courses scale down a lot, it doesn't matter as in the end you get a UAI rank not a mark. So to look at that table effectively, compare it to other subjects.

michael1990

HSC
I agree, when selecting my own subjects i was not given adequate information on them.

But as people have been saying, you cannot change what has happen just deal with it.

Scaling is not supposed to be done anyway, your mark is supposely 'moderated' into the ban curve? not sure what it is called.

When your UAI is calculated, we do not know how it is done.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Rhanoct said:
multimedia scales terribly too
(EDIT: if you are referring to the TVET course Multimedia then ignore the following.) Multimedia is not a subject, it is a module in the Industrial Technology course. Hence all the industries are subjected to the same scaling. I don't agree with this, because I think if you separated Multimedia into a separate course, it would not be scaled as bad. When so much of the course is entirely different, I don't know how they can put them on the same scale and scale them as the same course.

michael1990 said:
Scaling is not supposed to be done anyway, your mark is supposely 'moderated' into the ban curve? not sure what it is called.

When your UAI is calculated, we do not know how it is done.
Scaling is done by UAC for the calculation of the UAI. This is necessary so that comparisons between courses can be made. Moderation does not affect the calculation of the UAI, as UAC uses your raw marks, i.e. marks prior to moderation.

Moderation is done by the BOS in order to compare assessments that were marked to different standards.

Both of these two processes make the system fair. In my opinion they are necessary processes.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Without Wings said:
Multimedia is a subject. It's TVET.

'Multimedia Industries' is a module in the Industrial Technology Course.
TVET courses do not count towards your UAI, (i don't even think they count towards your HSC, but don't quote me on that), hence as he said "multimedia scales terribly too" I inferred that he was talking about a course that can be scaled, i.e. IT, not the TVET course.

jackattack

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
TVET courses do not count towards your UAI, (i don't even think they count towards your HSC, but don't quote me on that), hence as he said "multimedia scales terribly too" I inferred that he was talking about a course that can be scaled, i.e. IT, not the TVET course.
What the fuck.

You are stupendously retarded, sir.

Road Runner

HSC
To me all subjects have the potential to give you a high UAI regardless of scaling. Just choose the subjects you know you will enjoy studying and can do well in. A lot of people fall into the trap of doing subjects that are too hard for them just because "it scales high" and as a result they fail miserably. So in a way, instead of getting scaled up, they actually got scaled down because they were getting low marks in subjects that were too difficult for them.
Lol I'm just laughing at these people who are so stressed about "if they chose subjects that scales high". At the end of the day, it's those people who didn't exactly chose 'high scaling subjects' but did put a lot of effort in, enjoyed what they studied and did tremendously well who will do better in the HSC and get better results.

stillwaters

HSC
yea, road runner's right. just do the subjects youre interested in or that you do well in (if you really like a subject and you do well, even better).
scaling exists (our principal tried to persuade us it didn't with confusing powerpoint presentations about how the 'scaling myth' is crap... and then some representatives from board of studies told us scaling does exist... :p). but it changes yr to yr, its really confusing and why waste time trying to calculate what youre possible uai is form the subjects youre doing when you could be using the time to put the work in to get your goal uai (if you have one)?
and anyway the subjects youre doing i.e. modern, legal, english seem to scale well if you do pretty good in them.

Mr.Cassimatis

HSC
business studies is a low scaling subject but a mid-lo 90's 90-94 scales u better than a 96-98 in an elite subject, and i have the documentation to prove it sadly it is a hard copy:lol:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Mr.Cassimatis said:
business studies is a low scaling subject but a mid-lo 90's 90-94 scales u better than a 96-98 in an elite subject, and i have the documentation to prove it sadly it is a hard copy:lol:
yes.. but the data is also on uac's web site in electronic format. Unfortunately they don't have an archive of all the years, so i'm missing some years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)