Are schools allowed to start Common Module before Module A? (1 Viewer)

_mithil.d_

HSC
Hello,
I will be in year 12 next term and was wondering if anyone knew if schools are able to start mod a before the common module because the text for next term is Rainbows End which is more appropriate for language culture and identity since it is an indigenous play and tackles issues on the sense of identity Indigenous Australians face. Furthermore, the assessment task is an essay which isn't really common for the common module, it is usually a creative task or oral task followed by an in-class reflection and the school's assessment handbook does say that the term 2 assessment is a multimodal Presentation. Also, the rubric writes “Inviting the responder to see the world differently, to challenge assumptions, ignite new ideas or reflect personally.” which suggests a reflection, however, the 3rd assessment is an in-class composition and reflection. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

airora

HSC
Hey!
I'm pretty sure schools are able to choose their own order of studying each module, though I've not heard of any schools that don't begin with the common module.

Furthermore, the assessment task is an essay which isn't really common for the common module,
You will need to write an essay for your common module in the HSC exam. As far as I'm aware, your internal assessment will involve comparing your common module prescribed text (i.e. Rainbow's End) with another related text of your own choosing. The format of this might not be a conventional essay, and some schools choose to make this assessment a multimodal task.

it is usually a creative task
Also, the rubric writes “Inviting the responder to see the world differently, to challenge assumptions, ignite new ideas or reflect personally.” which suggests a reflection, however, the 3rd assessment is an in-class composition and reflection
You might be getting Module C and the Common Module mixed up. The creative task is usually assessed in Module C (The craft of writing). This is presumably your third assessment task. The rubric statement you quoted doesn't mean that you will need to write an actual reflection for the module. It's just asking students to embed their personal reflections in the essay for the common module (after all, essays are just the expresion of ideas you reflect on and think about).

Hope that helps! Though, it'll probably be easier discussing your questions with your teacher!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)