Are my hours reasonable enough to get a job? (1 Viewer)

CarlU

HSC
I am in my HSC year and I am doing 3 of my subjects through correspondance so only 2 of my subjects will take place at the school. The great thing is that I will have alot of free periods where I won't need to attend school so I thought I might get a casual job just to earn a bit of cash on the side.

The problem is I don't think my hours are reasonable or I think they are too complicated because my school timetable works on a Week A - Week B schedule and subjects happen at different times.

Here are my times of availability for Week A:
Monday: 9:00am > 11:00am & 1:00 > 3:00
Tuesday: 1:00pm > 5:00pm
Wednesday: 9:00am > 12:00am
Thursday: 3:00pm > 6:00pm
Friday: 9:00am > 11:30am

Total Hours: 16.5 hours

Times of availability for Week B
Monday: 1:00pm > 3:00pm
Tuesday: 3:00pm > 5:00pm
Wednesday: UNAVAILABLE
Thursday: 3:00pm > 7:00pm
Friday: UNAVAILABLE

Total Hours: 8 Hours

Is there any chance of getting a job with these kind of hours?
Thanks

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
not really, it's not the number of the hours, they should be allrite, just, but the time you are availible. most jobs have a minium shift of 3 hrs, and even when you do have 3 hrs free, not really at ideal times

CarlU

HSC
Yeah.. I'd really like to work weekends except I live on a farm out of town and cannot come in on those days.

Peartie

HSC
if you're friends with the local fish and chip shop or video store or something see about getting a job there where you can work around your timetable...apart from that though most places will either want you weekends, longer periods of time or different periods of time...

CarlU

HSC
Righto, I found a way how I can fit more hours in... Let's see if this is more reasonable. I've tried to merge Week A and Week B to be consistent.

Monday: 1:00pm > 5:00pm
Tuesday: 3:30pm > 6:00pm
Wednesday: 2:00pm > 5:00pm
Thursday: 3:00pm > 7:00pm
Friday: 3:30pm > 5:00pm

Local stores close 6:00pm, so it puts me at a disadvantage if my availability keeps ending at 5 but still this availability should be better to what I previously had up.

Thanks for your help, it is saving me alot of time of getting rejected if I can get accepted the first time rather then find out my hours are unreasonable.

jirwin

HSC
Going on the kinds of shifts they give at my work (Coles), I would say basically only your availabilities for Monday and Thursday are ok (potentially wednesday). Friday isn't because you're only available 1.5hrs. Tuesday only 2.5. However really, if you're only hired for casual, they could potentially give you the job based on you're Monday and Thursday - 8hrs a week. It might help them out.

Just curious, why aren't you available after 5pm most days?

CarlU

HSC
Thanks that advice helped alot. I'll have to find a way to try to add time to Tuesday and Friday.

I'm not available after 5pm because my mode of transport home is the bus and the latest bus in my area is shortly after 5pm. I can't get my folks to pick me up because they live too far away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)