Are lectures really that important?!? (1 Viewer)

GaZ_2004

HSC
heya...
Well i been doin my unsw timetable but i realised that i miss out on about 1/2 of my psych lectures and one of maths 1a as they simply clash wit sumfin else, i quite like my timetable and dun realli want to change it. So i just wanted to know are lectures realli that important are they worth going to, from what i hear.... they arent as all the notes are online, but i realli dont know.... sumone plz help.....

wind

HSC
You can listen to lectures that've been recorded on audio tapes in the library.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Some lecturers are good, some are bad. Some are just repeats of books, some aren't. Some people are able to learn from lectures, some can't. You should go and experiment how lectures are with an open mind first.

I know some people will recommend against this, but for the record, attending only 1 and a half lectures of INFS1603 gave me a distinction, and attending only 2 weeks of lecture for discrete gave me an HD. I'm pretty sure doing the homework is more important. </boast>

as a contrast, I attended all lectures for COMP in 1711, while only attending 1721's lectures every now and then. I got higher in 1711 than 1721, so I guess lecture attendance does reflect on marks..

sunny

meh.
HSC
My 2c about lectures is that there are many factors that cannot be told beforehand whether lectures are important. Its something that you need to decide for yourself.

The Subject
Would you actually listen if you went? If you're going to be asleep anyway you might as well not go. Are you the type that learns from listening or doing? Is the lecturer a total crap that no amount of listening will help at all? Does the nature of the material being taught require you to show up at the lecture to make more sense?

Tutorials/Labs/Seminars
Do you even attempt to do the tute work and learn from them? Do you have a good tutor?

Yourself
If you didn't go to the lecture would you go and study the lecture notes yourself anyway? No, really, would you bother?

I went to the first, middle, and last lectures (3/14) of BDM and scored a HD. I believed that the nature of the material being taught in that subject did not require going to the lectures.

I went most lectures of COMP2021 (probably about 10% of the class ever showed up). Alot of the times I wasn't listening in the lecture. But I had an excellent tutor and I learnt alot of tutorial and lab work. I came 4/232 in the class.

In COMP3211 I attended every lecture (it was the only 2 hours I was in uni for on Fridays) because the work being taught really required someone to explain it (not just online lecture notes and a textbook) otherwise it would be very difficult to understand. Managed to rank 2/174 in the class.

You can't ask whether lectures are important. You should ask yourself whether the lecture is important to you. But in your case, missing half of your lectures by default sounds awfully dangerous to me.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Hmm, im a good listener but only to myself :)

so wagging tutorials it is baby!

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
It depends totally on the classes. I found that a fair few of my arts and education subjects in first year were basically just an hour of talking about stuff that was already in the book. With some classes you can miss every single lecture and not suffer. I went to most of my lectures, though, since I hardly had any so its not like they were clogging my week. Id say get rid of the timetable clash though incase you get two subjects were you have to go to the lectures.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
GaZ_2004 said:
heya...
Well i been doin my unsw timetable but i realised that i miss out on about 1/2 of my psych lectures and one of maths 1a as they simply clash wit sumfin else, i quite like my timetable and dun realli want to change it. So i just wanted to know are lectures realli that important are they worth going to, from what i hear.... they arent as all the notes are online, but i realli dont know.... sumone plz help.....
If you don't go to PSYC1001 lectures you're dead in the final exam :D
Everything is based on what the lecturers said. And plus, you can go to the night stream. There are 2 stream for Psyc.

doingHSC

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Everything is based on what the lecturers said. And plus, you can go to the night stream. There are 2 stream for Psyc.
wha!! i have 1 clash between psyc1001 and comp1711 lecture. do u recommend me going to night stream or missing out 1 of the lecture per week (whether its comp or psyc).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
doingHSC said:
wha!! i have 1 clash between psyc1001 and comp1711 lecture. do u recommend me going to night stream or missing out 1 of the lecture per week (whether its comp or psyc).
yep, listen to Affinity :D

Affinity said:
you are dead either way.
:D :D

underthesun said:
I suggest you don't miss the 1711. Miss on psyc instead. Trust me.
The lecture notes are useless in psyc, you need to know what the lecturer said specifically because it is what is required in the final exam. Like in one slide they can ask you about 2 or 3 questions on it. I'm not too sure about 1711, but aren't people really talented if they are doing 1711 and don't really need to go to lectures? *glance at Underthesun* :D :D

Last edited:

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Ah man, it's a sin, an utter sin to miss 1711 lectures. People who do are known to be chased around by 1711 lecture attendants, and are crucified in front of the public when found.

Well I guess you'll have to compromise.. but ask anyone else that did 1711. I'm pretty sure the response is "skip psyc, go to 1711" :D

and survivor, I am confused as to why you glance at me :D

doingHSC

HSC
hehe im dead. The only reason i dont want to do night stream is cos i leave far from uni....approx. 2 hours and all my other classes start at 9. whole day at uni damn.

but 1 question, why does it have permitted clash in front psyc 1001 then if it's that important.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
doingHSC said:
hehe im dead. The only reason i dont want to do night stream is cos i leave far from uni....approx. 2 hours and all my other classes start at 9. whole day at uni damn.

but 1 question, why does it have permitted clash in front psyc 1001 then if it's that important.
Because Pysc offers TWO streams, so it's OK not to go to that slot because you can also go to the NIGHT slot...
that's what it meant. it doesn't reflect importance :D

doingHSC

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Because Pysc offers TWO streams, so it's OK not to go to that slot because you can also go to the NIGHT slot...
that's what it meant. it doesn't reflect importance :D
oh i see, thanks for clearing that up. i thought ur allowed not to go to the lecture. lol

GaZ_2004

HSC
Survivor39 said:
anyone have ne fing postive about psy ^^ well i'm willin to listen to the tapes n go back on the notes 4 the lectures i missed also i have a few fwends in the same psy lecture as me cant i just get them 2 recap me on that days lectures? Is it realli that bad to miss psy lectures?

also i heard for descrete maths that lecture arent that important is tis true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)