Are lectures really necessary? (1 Viewer)

historykidd

HSC
I'm having severe problems with my timetable units, concerning a BA at USYD, which pertain to me being unable to actually attend a certain lecture i.e. ENGL1000.

Due to personal reasons, its pretty damn unlikely i'll be able to make this lecture and no amount of fiddling with the timetable structure will give me room.

Basically, is there a great need to attend these lectures? Is there anything I can do that will help the situation i.e. contact the lectuerer or will WebCT be sufficent in keeping up with work and getting the higher grades?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
historykidd said:
I'm having severe problems with my timetable units, concerning a BA at USYD, which pertain to me being unable to actually attend a certain lecture i.e. ENGL1000.

Due to personal reasons, its pretty damn unlikely i'll be able to make this lecture and no amount of fiddling with the timetable structure will give me room.

Basically, is there a great need to attend these lectures? Is there anything I can do that will help the situation i.e. contact the lectuerer or will WebCT be sufficent in keeping up with work and getting the higher grades?
Not at all! maybe under extreme situations, your lectures might be compulsory. However i had 2 subjects that had lectures that were clashing, i emailed both lectuerers and one replied saying that the first 2 weeks and the last week of semester i need to attend that specific lecture, while all the others were Online-lectures. So i guess lecturers might be a little strict with lectures.

historykidd

HSC
wrxsti said:
Not at all! maybe under extreme situations, your lectures might be compulsory. However i had 2 subjects that had lectures that were clashing, i emailed both lectuerers and one replied saying that the first 2 weeks and the last week of semester i need to attend that specific lecture, while all the others were Online-lectures. So i guess lecturers might be a little strict with lectures.
Thanks for teh reply.

Looks like i'll have to email the lecturer.

deadbeat

HSC
if the lectures are all on overheads then NO, coz he/she is only going to read straight off the overheads

if the lecturer writes on the whiteboard then YES.

usually maths subjects i attend as its more HOW to do something.

whereas a theory course cant really be taught without the student actually thinking and reading for themselves.

HSC
Just because lectures are on overheads/pp slides it doesn't mean its not necessary to go to the lecture because lecturers may be sly and not give you the complete lecture notes so they won't make much sense unless you go. It's best to see the lecturer about their methods of delivery and stuff like that.

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
wrxsti said:
i emailed both lectuerers and one replied saying that the first 2 weeks and the last week of semester i need to attend that specific lecture, while all the others were Online-lectures.
im in this lec.
eng comm?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)