• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are Excel hsc books good to study? (1 Viewer)

theonly1

HSC
Hey,

just wondering if the excel books are any good for physics and mathematics + ex1?

Also, how about the physics study packs that you get for each topic?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I didn't use Excel, I used Physics in Focus and Cambridge (occasionally Fitzpatrick) for physics and MX1 respectively.

I recommend the ones I used, I find Excel can be a bit too "basic" and enjoyed the more challenging questions more :) It all depends on the levels you want to work towards.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I used Excel for MX2 (and 4U Cambridge) and it was pretty good tbh.

It's probably the only Excel book I've ever used for an entire year.

As for 2U Maths and MX1 - not too sure how good Excel is for those subs.

For 2U Maths - I'd recommend Fitzpatrick,

For MX1 - Fitzpatrick or 3U Cambridge.

For Physics - I'm against Excel. There's better books like Physics In Focus, Jacaranda, In2Physics.

Kobweb

HSC
N/A
I basically only used excel and bored of studies notes to study physics. I got mid band 6, so it was good and worked out for me.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Physics is ok as a supplement alongside another textbook (Read through a meaty textbook like Jacaranda, then add a few notes from those to notes for Excel in the margins and you should be sweet).

Don't know about rest as I have never used it for anything else.

motaba

HSC
I used excel for physics and I thought it covered the content nicely. Each syllabus dot point is covered in an orderly, thorough way. Our school textbook was jacaranda and I found the syllabus points were not clearly set out and much harder to find than excel.
I didn't really do the questions in the physics book since I believe the best practice questions come from past hsc papers so i can't give any judgement on the quality of practice questions in the excel book. Content wise, though, I thought it was great and used it as my primary source of info.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I particularly like the extensive definitions that are within the excel physics book, however, I think excel maths and maths extension one are all right for supplementary practice, although I personally feel that excel maths book is easier than the actual HSC standard, I think the best resource to test your knowledge out will still be past HSC papers.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I wouldn't recommend it, they are alright if you just want a general idea of the content and that is it.

I bought an excel book for economics and used it twice in the whole year. My textbook (dixon) and personal notes were more than adequate, i didn't see a need to look at the excel after i had already referred to these two sources.

williamdaft

HSC
I wouldn't recommend it, they are alright if you just want a general idea of the content and that is it.

I bought an excel book for economics and used it twice in the whole year. My textbook (dixon) and personal notes were more than adequate, i didn't see a need to look at the excel after i had already referred to these two sources.
Yeah true, I highlighted mine and read it a bit, I preferred Tim Riley's, Dixon's and Sir's handouts more.
Let's just say most people selling excel books have "brand new, hardly used" in there for a reason.
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)