Are Cut-Offs Over-Rated? Has anyone noticed the exageration of the Cut-Offs? (1 Viewer)

HELPMEIMFAILING

Well browsing the sight i've noticed that people have put strong emphasis on the fact that there is little to no leverage on the cut-offs i.e you wouldn't get an offer for a 98 course even if u got 97.95. After main round has been released has anyone got offers which were way/above their uai without EAS or has anyone noticed ppl getting offers for courses which were much higher than the uai?

If so would you agree that the Cut-offs are over-rated?

stazed

HSC
N/A
I think you've missed the point.

University's do NOT set a cut-off then accept anyone above it.
The system works where the university says - "we will accept 400 places for Commerce this year. Who are the best 400 people?"

THe 400th BEST applicant might have a UAI of 96.40.

Therefore, the cut-off was TECHNICALLY 96.40, but this was not decided BEFORE the offers, it is a number that comes AFTER the offers.

Make sense?

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
looking through the cutoff of this yrs.......it's actually going downwards....so tat means uni provides more spaces for applicant.......

jang

is not my real name
HSC
HELPMEIMFAILING said:
Well browsing the sight i've noticed that people have put strong emphasis on the fact that there is little to no leverage on the cut-offs i.e you wouldn't get an offer for a 98 course even if u got 97.95. After main round has been released has anyone got offers which were way/above their uai without EAS or has anyone noticed ppl getting offers for courses which were much higher than the uai?

If so would you agree that the Cut-offs are over-rated?
how can u get an offer above ur uai?

umm or am i missing the point.
my friend missed out by 0.05 and he was fukn pissed off... so he got pissed off his face..
i wrote that coz it sounded cool, but he just took a few shots in bitterness

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
so ppl got their uai below the cutoff didn't make in? i though my friend did.....or she was lying to me about her uai........o wel then! =.=|||

alex_c86

HSC
yeh well the 2005 cut-off for my first preference this year was 81.40 (according to the uac website, on the main-round 2005 hecs cut-off file) and my uai was 77.45, and i got a place... how did this happen? im not on access or eas scheme

stazi

Nightman
HSC
alex, perhaps you accidently applied for fee-based :p

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
I think there needs to be a method of removing rep points from people :p because this is one of those threads that really warrants it.

alex_c86

HSC
no, actually i got offered both my 1st and 2nd preferences, which were science hecs AND science fee paying at syd uni, and i really have no idea how this happened, has this happened to anyone else? could they have made a mistake?

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
You can only ever recieve a single offer of HECS and a single offer of FEE.

If you have listed a combination of HECS and FEE courses and u meet the entry criteria you will get an offer to the two highest listed: 1 HECS and 1 FEE.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
stazed said:
I think you've missed the point.

University's do NOT set a cut-off then accept anyone above it.
The system works where the university says - "we will accept 400 places for Commerce this year. Who are the best 400 people?"

THe 400th BEST applicant might have a UAI of 96.40.

Therefore, the cut-off was TECHNICALLY 96.40, but this was not decided BEFORE the offers, it is a number that comes AFTER the offers.

Make sense?
hey but i think HELPMEIMFAILING has some point i also notice that courses have some sort of starting point UAI cutoff. You can see UWS cutoffs as an example and many other engineering and science degrees in the popular unis.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
It's quite true. Some courses do have minimum requirement UAIs.

Engineering (Software) at UNSW requires a 90 minimum regardless of supply and demand. A friend of mine got 89.5 and missed out in the main round despite there still being vacancies in the course.

alex_c86

HSC
yeh thats what happened, i got two offers, one for science hecs at sydney, and one for science fee at sydney... you can get a hecs as well as a fee place for the same course, i know quite a few ppl who did

Kirsti

HSC
If you noticed people getting courses above their UAI it's probably because some uni's offer bonus points to local students. That's how I got mine (85.7 UAI, 88.something cut-off)

alex_c86

HSC
yeh, but how come i got an offer (with uni of sydney, so they dont give out bonus points) when im below the uai cut-off?

HELPMEIMFAILING

its true alot of ppl with lower uai's did get in a friend of mine got 83.85 without EAS and somehow managed to get into B Business UTS (05 cutoff 90.xx). He even called the uni to confirm whether there was a mistake.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
HELPMEIMFAILING said:
its true alot of ppl with lower uai's did get in a friend of mine got 83.85 without EAS and somehow managed to get into B Business UTS (05 cutoff 90.xx). He even called the uni to confirm whether there was a mistake.
thats bullshit, most likely ur friend did get EAS and got the 7 pts thingy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)