Are commerce/business degrees replacing arts degrees? (1 Viewer)

jellybeenz

HSC
My mum reckons that an Arts degree is the "new HSC" because heaps of people do an Arts degree so they can continue their education and figure out what they want from the future, just as 40 years ago people would use the HSC like that.

Some people use an Arts degree so they can learn useful skills while figuring out themselves and their future.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
really? well, perhaps since 40 yrs ago, it was a trend to have an arts degree without any proper cement majors. thats why the job prospects were very dim. whereas now, it's very very different. i mean, ther'es advanced arts degrees with crazy uais...and essentially, it is still a BA

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Some useful vocations can be found in Arts degrees.
- Languages
- Linguistics
- Geography (It's Arts in some unis)
- Psychology (there's an Arts equivelant in a few universities)
- Philosophy (the most Pure Mathematics is regarded by some as Philosophical)

As for teaching clairgirl, an Arts degree is one of the degrees that many universities accept in order for a student to undertage a Graduate Diploma in Education (and teach in secondary schools). You need to be a graduate of a degree, and Arts is a degree. Also, there is graduate Law, graduate Medicine, et cetera that Arts students could get into should they wish to study in those fields.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
poloktim said:
Some useful vocations can be found in Arts degrees.
- Languages
- Linguistics
- Geography (It's Arts in some unis)
- Psychology (there's an Arts equivelant in a few universities)
- Philosophy (the most Pure Mathematics is regarded by some as Philosophical)

As for teaching clairgirl, an Arts degree is one of the degrees that many universities accept in order for a student to undertage a Graduate Diploma in Education (and teach in secondary schools). You need to be a graduate of a degree, and Arts is a degree. Also, there is graduate Law, graduate Medicine, et cetera that Arts students could get into should they wish to study in those fields.
yeah thats true... but he said such degrees like "Nursing" ... you don't need an arts degree as a stepping stone to get into nursing or business degrees

santaslayer

HSC
clairegirl said:
it's not a stepping stone it's a degree, teaching, nursing have lower cutoffs than arts.... if they wanted to do teaching, nursing they could have gotton in
Ehh...it CAN be used. People who do plain Arts may use it as a stepping stone to further education. I don't see what I've said is wrong?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
santaslayer said:
Ehh...it CAN be used. People who do plain Arts may use it as a stepping stone to further education. I don't see what I've said is wrong?

alrighty .......

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
theyre not replacing arts degrees, simply because the majors/subjects involved in commerce/business degrees are much more practical in terms of employment opportunities. the topics of study have relevance in day to day world affairs, with a clear direction for careers to come from them. as opposed to an arts degree, where its largely airy-fairy e.g philosophy, gender studies etc. excluding languages i guess.

Sentient_667

HSC
I fail to see how an arts degree could be at all useful, but this is my own opinion. I'm a star Commerce and Math student myself, so Arts and Social Science don't really appeal to me.

In reply to this thread, I doubt something like a Business degree would become as redundant and useless as Arts degrees have, as the knowledge gained is so practical and useful. Big business is just a part of life today, but Social Science and the Arts, sadly, are not.

Although I may be wrong, maybe they will become as useless as Arts degrees... Look at what happened to the IT industry. Maybe the same will apply here...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sentient_667 said:
I fail to see how an arts degree could be at all useful, but this is my own opinion. I'm a star Commerce and Math student myself, so Arts and Social Science don't really appeal to me.

In reply to this thread, I doubt something like a Business degree would become as redundant and useless as Arts degrees have, as the knowledge gained is so practical and useful. Big business is just a part of life today, but Social Science and the Arts, sadly, are not.

Although I may be wrong, maybe they will become as useless as Arts degrees... Look at what happened to the IT industry. Maybe the same will apply here...
You're doing your hsc in 2006, lay off the crack johnny.

Arts isnt all airy-fairy, in fact philosophy, culture, sociology, politics have their relevant uses within the sphere of Media, Advertising, Teaching, or anything regarding people and the masses or even people skills. Languages themselves are for those who seek to learn for leisure or for international reasons. Certain areas are only offered under an Arts degree, like Music, or Geography, which both directly correlate into their relevant fields.

Now tell me dear boy, how that is not part of 'life' and 'big business' ?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
It seems to me that law is in fact the new "arts" degree. Everyone seems to do it even if they don't have a particular interest in law. They may never use it, but do it to impress employers.

santaslayer

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
It seems to me that law is in fact the new "arts" degree. Everyone seems to do it even if they don't have a particular interest in law. They may never use it, but do it to impress employers.
No, law can be a complementing degree, but not the 'new arts degree'.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
There is no new 'arts' degree. An arts degree is an arts degree because of its relative freedom and encompasses quite a bit of territory. The reason it receives so many people is because of this freedom. If you were to have separate degrees for each of the divisions then you would find a better understanding of the breakup.

santaslayer

HSC
AsyLum said:
There is no new 'arts' degree. An arts degree is an arts degree because of its relative freedom and encompasses quite a bit of territory. The reason it receives so many people is because of this freedom. If you were to have separate degrees for each of the divisions then you would find a better understanding of the breakup.
Liberal Studies?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
wah?

Not sure where you're going to mate :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
It seems to me that people should shut the fuck up about Arts degrees. :) Most of the shit is obviously coming from people who don't do them. A lot of non-Art students can't understand why such a degree does not contain any core subjects.

There are better things to whinge about. If you're that insecure about your degree that you need to justify your own existance by poking fun at another, you shouldn't be enrolled in university, you should still be in kindergarten, or you should be the receiver of a post-natal abortion.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
yes, commerce is the new arts. if you dont know what you want to do after uni you go into commerce as opposed to arts

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
most ppl who do commerce wouldnt be doing it because they still havent made up their mind yet

commerce (and im talking about MQ here because i was thinking of doing it) have all cores for 1st yr. arts doesnt

so i think if ppl where picking commerce over arts, i doubt its because they are trying to figure out what they want to do, because all u get to experience in a commerce degree is accounting, marketing, eco and finance etc. there isnt any sociology, no politics or anything really that isnt commerce related

and if u chose a commerce degree because you wanted to get a feel for different subjects, i think u would be pretty stupid, because commerce degress dont allow you that

Generator

HSC
N/A
fornstar said:
most ppl who do commerce wouldnt be doing it because they still havent made up their mind yet

and if u chose a commerce degree because you wanted to get a feel for different subjects, i think u would be pretty stupid, because commerce degress dont allow you that
It isn't always a case of 'trying before you buy'.

A commerce degree offers the spectre of a tangible outcome in the form of a job, whereas that isn't necessarily the case with an arts degree. If you do not know what you want, yet you are not necessarily looking to learn for the sake of learning, then a commerce degree is generally considered to be your best bet given its vocational flavour and the business-oriented nature of our society.

NonExistant

Don't read this sentance.
HSC
Generator basically said what I was thinking. Commerce isn't the new "arts" degree, it's the new "arts" degree... for people who want to get jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)