Are accounting careers crap? (1 Viewer)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Hahahaha

"There is absolutely no shortage of accountants. What there is a shortage of are accountants prepared to work for peanuts."

Thanks. Very entertaining.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i get the impression that these people commenting are all old disgruntled accounting clerks. like the person who was told she was too old at 39.

Conspirocy

HSC
Newbie said:
i get the impression that these people commenting are all old disgruntled accounting clerks. like the person who was told she was too old at 39.
can I just say that I find it really funny that we argue these points and I was apparently wrong all the way through

trying to discredit these people is a common tactic, I wouldn't be surprised if you were some HR person trying to cut down salaries cause you keep using common HR tactics

is a roflcopter
HSC
what are you talking about?

Goodbye

HSC
So is the article right or the comments below right.

turtleface

HSC
These are my personal opinions on everything I've seen, heard, read after 3 years of uni:

1. There is a shortage of QUALITY qualified accountants, not "accountants", who are willing to work AS AN accountant. Since accountants have broader business and finance training they have flooded into areas such as general management, consulting, funds management, equities research, investment banking etc. and the so called skills shortage is talking about a shortage of qualified accountants willing to work in any lower paid accounting positions.
i.e. as Omnidragon quoted from the article:
"There is absolutely no shortage of accountants. What there is a shortage of are accountants prepared to work for peanuts."
I doubt places like Big Four have trouble getting candidates, but again it is QUALITY people that is an issue

2. The accounting graduate pool has too few QUALITY candidates. And by quality I mean bright (not necessarily smart, but switched on, or at least hard working) motivated ambitious people who aren't doing accounting because they can't get into anyhting else. The few who do exist usually get enticed into Investment Banking, law firms and to a lesser extent the Big Four. Those left over usually trickle to mega large corporates so mid tiers and smaller firms and companies have very little choice left over. Hence the incentive to poach at the high school level by the big 4. Once school students are sucked in, often pure inertia ensures they keep going in accounting.

3. Nobody can really argue Partner, CFO, FD, Controller salaries are crap given they are about 6 figure minimum no matter how small the organisation is. At the other end however, remuneration is shocking particularly at the smaller places. Often small firms with 10, 20 staff can only afford to pay low 30's to accounting graduates, which frankly no ambitious accounting graduate would touch with a 30 foot poll, if only to keep their pride intact. Though this is disgraceful, it is certainly not unique to accounting. I've heard of junior solicitors, engineers etc. getting similar at small, low earning places. That is just life

4. Hours are shit, but can be worse. I believe people who complain about long hours fit into 2 categories:
- Those who joined expecting a 9-5 job. These are sadly delusional
- Those who don't mind long hours if their pay was increased appropriately. These people have a valid grievance, but need to realise that it is not just accounting that suffers here, but also investment banking, law and as one poster said, a junior doctor who gets less per hour than the hospital cleaner.

No offence if I've bagged you anywhere. I respect all, but I believe this is the reality.

In summary:
Everyone needs a reality check. As respondents said "Money talks and bullshit walks"

And I guess it is important to stress that it is not majoring in accounting that is an issue, it is working in accountant roles. Some of those posters it seems are unacceptably qualifed to get positions in other areas of business.

newbie said:
yeah I agree, I think the day that the ICAA and CPA Australia lobby for a legal requirement on the use of "accountant" is the day that we will see the stature of accounting sky rocket. I know I'm being elitist and I don't mean to bag anyone...but yeah...
Shit man, you get people at Income return compaies who've done a 10 week course calling themselves "Tax Accountants". Get real.

Last edited:

Archimedes

HSC
turtleface said:
At the other end however, remuneration is shocking particularly at the smaller places. Often small firms with 10, 20 staff can only afford to pay low 30's to accounting graduates, which frankly no ambitious accounting graduate would touch with a 30 foot poll, if only to keep their pride intact
Keep their pride intact?

I'm actually one of those you refer to here (Accounting graduate working mid tier, earning mid 30's). The problem with being a grad is that you don't have the experience. If you don't have any experience, you aren't going to be particularly valuable to any organisation.

So, I'm not sure why you'd expect that Accounting grads would earn much more. The fact is, unless you're working in big 4, you'll struggle to find a graduate accounting role earning over 40-45. I'm earning under that, yes, however there's other things to consider. Training received, culture at work, enjoyment of work, the people you work with. At this point in my career I'd consider all of those things to be just as important as the cash I take home. In other words, I'd rather earn 35 and work with good people in a good culture whilst receiving heaps of quality training. I'd rather my current position than be overstressed, and overworked and underappreciated and earning 50K.

I'm not saying those are the only two alternatives (they aren't) I'm simply pointing out there's many factors in place when choosing somewhere to work, and money is by no means isolated at the top for many people.

In summary, you need to think practically about these things. I got a job offer I was very happy with and I took it. So did a lot of other grads earning money which doesn't quite leave their "pride intact", and they certainly don't have too many grievances about their pay either.

turtleface

HSC
Archimedes said:
Keep their pride intact?

I'm actually one of those you refer to here (Accounting graduate working mid tier, earning mid 30's). The problem with being a grad is that you don't have the experience. If you don't have any experience, you aren't going to be particularly valuable to any organisation.

So, I'm not sure why you'd expect that Accounting grads would earn much more. The fact is, unless you're working in big 4, you'll struggle to find a graduate accounting role earning over 40-45. I'm earning under that, yes, however there's other things to consider. Training received, culture at work, enjoyment of work, the people you work with. At this point in my career I'd consider all of those things to be just as important as the cash I take home. In other words, I'd rather earn 35 and work with good people in a good culture whilst receiving heaps of quality training. I'd rather my current position than be overstressed, and overworked and underappreciated and earning 50K.

I'm not saying those are the only two alternatives (they aren't) I'm simply pointing out there's many factors in place when choosing somewhere to work, and money is by no means isolated at the top for many people.

In summary, you need to think practically about these things. I got a job offer I was very happy with and I took it. So did a lot of other grads earning money which doesn't quite leave their "pride intact", and they certainly don't have too many grievances about their pay either.
I 100% agree. Sorry, I didn't mean to bag anyone or anything with my harsh words, and whilst for the record I don't think like that and am just conveying what I believe is a common line of thought, a lot of people do, and there is a lot of elitism going around and that is a general conception at least at my uni which is highly elitist and materialistic. When you are comparing contracts with other accounting grads who get 80K offers at IBanks or 55K offers to retail banks, 30K starts to look a bit pale, and that's something I can understand (which is what I tried to convey in my previous post). Yes it's myopic but certainly prevalent. Many people feel insulted that given the exact same qualifications and zero experience, they do not feel happy accepting 30K but that's the nature of business, and as you said there are other factors to consider.

I am a great believer in market arbitrage (mostly), and think you are 100% correct in saying there are benefits to non big 4 jobs. I think the issue is that some people are far more materialistic and see the salary package as the sole indication of job rewards.

That said, there are many people who don't see value in studying for 6 years to get professionally qualified to earn the money that you can get working full time in a job that does not require a skillset. And whilst I think those people are very myopic and can't see the long term salary increments, they still exist

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)