architecture (1 Viewer)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
ask johnson, he's doing his first year in architecture at UTS this year...
personally i'm not too sure, but i've heard UTS is quite good, as is sydney

go to the open days, email the lecturers/staff for that degree, try to organise a visit or tour, try and find people (friends, relatives, friends of relatives, relatives of friends, etc etc) who are studying/have studied architecture at any of those places, and ask them...

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
because at usyd you get B Arch and B Design abut at UNSW you just get B Arch. It takes 5 yrs to do both but a seperate B Design is what makes syd good.

Well looking at where the faculties are located, UNSW faculty of the Built Environment at the Red Centre is architecturally superior to that of the Wilkinson Building at USyd.

just some food for thought lol

Last edited:

routemarker

HSC
yep at usyd on maze cres lol its just concrete brutalism at the max but not as bad as UTS tower 1 thats just shocking but amazing views

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
haha. don't get me started on the architecutral fuck ups of UTS. there are many. Ironically, the Design Architecture Building building was architecturally designed and looks like a piece of shit.

okay boomsticks. personally, i think UTS is the best, but for me personally. i'm not just plugging my own uni.. here's why i think it's better:

* u get a degree at the end of 3 years- B Arts, and you get another one at the end of 5 years- B Architecture.

* you are very employable when/if you graduate (err, the statistics for last year was 5 people graduated from the B Architecture course..) are excellent, so you have to be very dedicated and motivated in architecture.

* it's pretty much a part time course (i'm in first year and only do two days a week) so that'sg ood for me cos i'm a lazy bitch.

* the people you meet are AWESOME (both student and staff). because it's such a small group you become pretty close-knit, which is good for the soul and for contacts.

* the DAB is just sexy.

* okay..um we actaully have pretty good lecturers/tutors from all sorts of backgrounds, who bring in all sorts of different ideas and ways of thinking about architecture. it might sound pretty gay now, but it's actually a huge part of architecture- different attitudes to architecture.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hmm. UNSW now. personally i have a thing against UNSW so i never wanted to go there, but i've heard it's a pretty shit course there anyway........

USYD actually has heaps good architectural resources. labs/studio space/art gallery and workspaces/your own individual workstation. (friggin regret turning down my scholarship there... argh.)

however it is a psychotic FIVE days a week at uni, and is also very maths-based.

Basically, I see it as this..

if you want a more arts/designed focussed background in architecture, and are interested in working part-time so that you can get industry experience and hence get a job quickly- go to UTS

if you want to have state-of-the-art resources and the biggest architecural library in the southern hemisphere and a personal workstation (which is very good) and a visual arts centre where you can do all types of funky art shit, and are more itnerested in the technical/maths/science side of architecture - then go to USYD

and if you suck, go to unsw. haha. sorry. i kid.

routemarker

HSC
na UNSW arch shits all over USYD and UTS. its a 5 year arch Degree and has very impressive studios. The students also make great renders and models. And at UNSW they had to drop teh Faculty name of Arch and change it to Built environment because they offer so many arch related degrees and professions.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah, sorry i shouldn't've been so biased, i'm sure unsw has heaps good resources too. uts kids are really really pissed off at the lack of resources (which we are currently officially complaining about)- we don't even have enough freakin seats in our rooms to sit on >(

The HUGE problem with UNSW is the fact that it is a five year course.

architecture has one of the highest drop out rates.. in my year, we started off with about 70 people at the beginning of 2003. this semester, only about 35 people turned up who were from the original 70.. this is... FIRST year mind you.

So basically, drop out rate in architecture is insane, but if you can hack the three years (which most of the remainder of us are willing to do) you can get this B Arts in architectur e(or B Design in architeture if u go to USYD) and then transfer to post grad studies in other related fields (e.g town planning, urban design, civil engineering , interior design, even graphic design).

whereas if u go to UNSW, and decide to toss up the idea of architecture after 3 years.. well, you're screwed, cos you don't even get a degree for your hard work....

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
well, if you're more of a design girl and can handle maths, you are like me. well except for the girl part

um it's not too maths related at all (at UTS), though, I have only been here for a semester and a bit.

But generally speaking, you get msotly humanities subjects (like history, theory, etc) and one or two science subjects (like structures, construction, environmental control, sustainable architecture) each semester. And one design subject each semester which is the huge mofo you need to pass in order to become an architect

buzz me if u want more specific info about uts... (oldjian@hotmail.com)

routemarker

HSC
Originally posted by johnson
really...? You want to do architecture.....? woah.
lol yep but im kinda scared that i wont be a good designer and such and i didnt get the UAI so yep stuck with sci...for now.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
woah routemarker i had no idea, there were a few architecture threads last year but you never popped into any of em..

well, i thought that architecture was going to be all about design.. how wrong i was, there is so much bloody maths and science and other stuff which really stifles me. mind you, the most important element is design, it's just that science + humanities also play a major role in architecture (just not as much as design..)

in my opinion anyway..

routemarker

HSC
lol well hanging around Architecture forums has made me become interested in arch but i guess ill just leave it as an interest. you could be come the next cesar pelli or norman foster:Dlol

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hm. i guess it's a good thing i'm transferring next year if i have nfi who cesar pelli or norman foster is.

actually i've heard of foster. maybe. probably not.

arghhhh i went to this architecture message board once and the first thread i was greeted with was "DON"T DO ARCHITECTURE I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE JOB FOR 14 YEARS AND TOLD MY SON THAT ID KILL MYSELF BEFORE I LET HIM BECOME AN ARCHITECT"

all in caps too. scared the bejeezus outta me..

routemarker

HSC
lol well pelli designed patronas and 2 international finance centre in HK and foster designed canary wharf station in london and others. He also designed the BT tower now currently underconstruction in syd. it will be 240m to structural tip and just under 200m to roof

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
..you mean the petronas buildings in KL, malaysia..?

or something else? and yeah i realised i know who norman foster is now :p

btw what architecture forums did you mean, like, you mean forum forums, where like people talk and..stuff?

routemarker

HSC
obviously lol the controversial worlds 'tallest'

yes forum forums like this lol
here are some i visit
www.skyscrapercity.com
www.skyscraperpage.com

i prefer SSC because its much more active and the OZ section is one of the most active sections in there. whatevers being built or proposed (anything with a decent height really) in OZ would probably be found there. The mod for the OZ section is a Town Planner/Model maker for The City of Sydney. Pretty intrersting, theres some nutters there too mind you lol.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh wow, madness routemarker, thanks for that

pathetically enough, this is the only forum i visit (BOS)..

at first i thought you meant forums, like you know of the Roman type and I was like :confused:

well, in China they're sposed to be building the world's tallest buliding now, it's a really really weird shape and kind of like.. it's twisted, literally i mean. argh it's hard to explain i'llt ry and find a pic later, it's actually quite interesting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)