Architecture + Exchange and Language Electives vs. Ind. Des. and Int. Studies at UTS (1 Viewer)

Kita_14

HSC
Hi there everyone :)

First post!

Basically, at the moment I'm trying to decide between a couple of degrees - mainly Arch - thinking UTS for the "practical" approach and global connections - or Industrial Design and Int. Studies at UTS.

I think I have always been more interested in Architecture, however I love languages and would like the opportunity to continue my HS language studies in Uni and participate in an exchange (Hopefully Spain, although I adore all European architecture and design!). I know it's still possible to do an exchange as a part of an Arch degree, but does anybody know if it's possible at UTS to take language electives too (or do they all have to be from within the DAB faculty)?

I know Arch is pretty full on - and while I enjoy geometry, my maths isn't the best (I dropped maths and don't do physics :lol:) but I'm hoping a bridging course will be enough to bring my maths back up to speed. I adore architecture in every sense, the ability architects have to both showcase amazing materials and put them to the test, to create spaces that define the way we live. My family just recently designed and built a house of our own and the whole process from paper to palpable is something that absolutely fascinated me. Do you think Architecture at UTS will be a good fit for me? Or should I look into Industrial Design as a less-maths-intensive design degree alternative? The Industrial Design course still sounds really great and I think the Int. Studies component would be an amazing course and experience.

Thanks a bunch guys! You're awesome! :awesome:

Q_and_A

HSC
Re: Architecture + Exchange and Language Electives vs. Ind. Des. and Int. Studies at

Hi Kita,
If you're looking for the "practical approach" to studying architecture, I'm not sure UTS is the best option. UTS is recognised moreso for their graphics and computing design.

I would highly recommend going on exchange as part of your degree though.

I would say that mathetmatics and physics are not essential. A bridging course would easily get you to the level you need.

PM me if you have specific questions about architecture and the major universities that offer them.

Kita_14

HSC
Re: Architecture + Exchange and Language Electives vs. Ind. Des. and Int. Studies at

Hey,

Thanks so much for your answer! Interesting - the more I look into UTS the more I have begun to notice the same thing. The USyd course is beginning to look a lot more appealing, especially taking the Uni's reputation and international standing into account in relation to securing jobs later on down the track. Haha, or it could just be that whole undermining 'prestige' thing that everyone speaks of getting the better of me :lol: A lot of the past student work and projects from USyd do seem really interesting - the kind of work I want to be able to produce eventually.

I would say that mathetmatics and physics are not essential. A bridging course would easily get you to the level you need.
That's so good to hear, really reassuring. I'll definitely try and make exchange a priority too! Thanks so much again, I'll definitely PM you if I have any questions! :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)