Archaeological sources for Views of Sparta??? (1 Viewer)

Cleft

HSC
My current assignment calls for me to research the Greek writers' views on Sparta, and produce a 6 minute speech on it. Oddly it requires me to also include a variety of sources, some of them been archaeological. Anyone have any suggestions as I'm really stuck for ideas...

Sharkeh

HSC
Archaelogical... Jesus.

Not much on that, unless you want to talk about how they could of been wrong about Sparta's 'no trade' idea, and talk about all the Lacadomonian artefacts found in other parts of Greece - Pottery (Backup about the fact that there was a kiln found in a Spartan village), as well as some ivory and bone

Also on ivory, had to of come from Africa, or maybe Asia Minor... Sure as hell the Spartans didn't go down there and conquer for it... They traded for it

Also Spartan settlements in modern-day Italy, go back on how one of the Lycurgan reforms was that Spartiates weren't allowed to leave.

--------

Thats all I got for now, if I can think of some more, i'll post

hobbsy-gal

HSC
Cleft said:
My current assignment calls for me to research the Greek writers' views on Sparta, and produce a 6 minute speech on it. Oddly it requires me to also include a variety of sources, some of them been archaeological. Anyone have any suggestions as I'm really stuck for ideas...

READ FITZHARDING AND DR BRIAN BRENHAM
(or however u spell it)
they definitly shed light on the contradictions between what foreigners wrote about Sparta and the evidence.

hobbsy-gal

HSC
hobbsy-gal said:
READ FITZHARDING AND DR BRIAN BRENHAM
(or however u spell it)
they definitly shed light on the contradictions between what foreigners wrote about Sparta and the evidence.
Fitzhardinge, and Brennan
i cant spelll sorry :)

dollabella

HSC
All the stuuf ya need is in the Brennan book Spartan Society. We use it in class but libraries will have it and a friend of mine bought her copy at Abbeys bookshop near town hall. heaps of sources:hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)