Approved Programming Languages (1 Viewer)

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
What are they? seriously?

i don't have a clue as to what languages are deemed to be suitable for this course..

looked on the official BoS and couldn't find anything.. nor could my teacher...

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
There aren't any approved languages. It is up to the school to find something that teaches procedural programming.

Things range from VB, C/C++, Pascal, Java and others.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Merforga said:
My teacher said we should know some APL because they apparently chucked a question about APL in some HSC question a while ago ><
If you say that, you know theres nothing stopping them putting questions involving any language - which means you should go learn every language.

If the question is language specific, it should be possible to figure out what the language is taking about even if you don't know the language specifically.

Merforga

sunny said:
If you say that, you know theres nothing stopping them putting questions involving any language - which means you should go learn every language.

If the question is language specific, it should be possible to figure out what the language is taking about even if you don't know the language specifically.
True that but of the past papers i've gone through, they've only used these programming languages:

Java
APL
C
VB
Pascal

That's all i've seen o_O

J0n

N/A
HSC
From the SDD course specifications (the ones with Methods of Algorithm Description):
The syllabus does not prescribe a single coding language for implementation of programs
but advocates a range of high level languages.
Students are required to be proficient in using at least one of the currently approved
languages but will not be asked to interpret or produce code as part of the external
assessment.
The languages chosen for inclusion in the approved list are ones which are generally
available and support structured programming concepts.
General language requirements
The programming language chosen must allow the students to:
• use numeric (integer and real), character and string data;
• use record and array data types including multi-dimensional arrays and arrays of records;
• use simple variables of type CHARACTER, REAL, INTEGER and STRING;
• use meaningful identifiers;
• use parentheses in creating expressions
• use the arithmetic operators of ADDITION, SUBTRACTION, MULTIPLICATION and
DIVISION;
• use string handling operations to extract characters from a string
• use the logical operators of AND, OR and NOT;
• use relational operators which provide the equivalents of the following functions:
EQUAL TO NOT EQUAL TO
GREATER THAN GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO
LESS THAN LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO;
• use and create procedures (subprograms, subroutines) which may require parameters;
• input data from the keyboard and/or a data file;
• write output to the screen and/or a data file;
• use selection statements equivalent to:
(i) IF <condition TRUE > THEN
<statement sequence 1>
ELSE
<statement sequence 2>
ENDIF
(ii) CASE <control expression> OF
<case value list>
ENDCASE
• use repetition statements equivalent to:
(iii) REPEAT
<statement sequence>
UNTIL <condition TRUE>
(iv) WHILE <condition TRUE> DO
<statement sequence>
ENDWHILE
(v) FOR <control variable> taking <initial value> TO <final value> BY steps of 1 DO
<statement sequence>
ENDFOR
• include COMMENTS (REMARKS) in the code to document the program;
• include the use of a debugging facility such as single instruction stepping, trace and
breakpoints;
• allow the reading and writing of sequential and random files
• experience the use of both a compiler and an interpreter.
Appropriate Languages:
• Pascal, a structured version of BASIC.

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
Pascal, a structured version of BASIC
..You can't call pascal a structured version of basic can you.. their not related at all..

but eitherway,
Thanks for that, most schools would be using M$ VS6/.NET and a few are using QBasic(yes there is a public high school near me that uses it -- it's outdated, but it's still sued today.)

I've read in otehr places, and my teacher has also suggested learning or not learning, but getting to know the general syntax of different languages.. as it helps to understnad, and because they can and do ask questions in weird languages.... but i must ask.. whats APL!(i think that was the name of the language someone just mentioned!)(going to google now)

hmm 'A Programming Language' -- Very descriptive name they got going there.. i think i just learn't the bare basics of it!

-=DD32/DoubleD=-

Last edited:

J0n

N/A
HSC
I think it means "pascal [or] structured version of BASIC", anyway, my SDD teacher always complains about VB, and says we should be learing pascal, but we have to do VB cause that is what we have software for at school...

hornetfig

HSC
J0n said:
I think it means "pascal [or] structured version of BASIC", anyway, my SDD teacher always complains about VB, and says we should be learing pascal, but we have to do VB cause that is what we have software for at school...
And Delphi [Pascal] is hideously expensive and perhaps the learning curve it too steep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)