Appropriation vs Copyright (1 Viewer)

a Ghostie

HSC
Hey guys, I'm in my 1st term of yr12/4th term of yr11 and have an idea for my HSC major.

The theme is essentially the individual's tendency to derive pleasure from observing or partaking in violence, and how video games are a reflection of this. My BoW will be a digital painting, entirely freehand, except maybe the use of copyright-free stock images for small texture details. That ain't the issue though.

See, I want to depict famous video game characters owned by companies like Blizzard within my artwork, maintaining their exact same design except in different poses and performing different actions. I told my teacher this and unfortunately she told me this wasn't allowed. This pretty much deflated me, and forces me to scrap my idea, considering the whole point of my planned work was to appropriate established video game characters.

So what do you guys think of this? Am I allowed to depict the works of others' intellectual property for the sake of appropriation, and if so/not is there an official source of information regarding these laws? What defines appropriation? My teacher claimed that I needed to at least change the design/colour of the characters for it to be considered an appropriation, even though I define it as re-contextualising an image. Except I'm not technically appropriating an 'image' but an idea/character design, so that's where it gets murky as well :/

Also feel free to critique my theme as well, though the focus is appropriation vs copyright of intellectual property.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)