Applying for Scholarships: Advice for Personal Statement? (1 Viewer)

michellemma

Premium Member
HSC
Hello everyone!

Currently I'm in the process of writing my personal statement for the merit scholarship at USYD, but I'm sort of stuck. I'm not quite sure what I should be writing and how to structure it. I've looked at the Hints and Tips page on the USYD website, but I was hoping some students who have received scholarships or who have applied could give me some advice on how to go about it. Should I be writing a creatively structured piece ("I was standing at the top of a mountain, looking out across the expansive valley, when I realised my passion for..." - something creative like that), or should I be writing just a good, simple and well-written essay about my achievements and involvement in extra-curriculars/community.

I'd love some advice :)

undalay

HSC
There is a separate form for achievements and grades.
Sure you can write them (and you probably should mention them).
But the personal statement is just that.

Personal.

Talk about yourself, your interests, your passions.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I am also doing this.

I did one for Bond in which I was very honest and focused on sort of comedy and bagging myself out, while also being personal and outlining my 'goals and ambitions'. But I didn't get the scholarship so hey, my advice may be not so good.

Yeah, so, answer this person so I can also take the advice.

JPO

HSC
I'm currently on a merit-based scholarship from the arts faculty. I think what they'd really like to see is your trajectory. Put yourself in there shoes. They'd look at you as an investment. Show them that you'd be someone who can benefit from the scholarship. More importantly, illustrate how you can benefit others because of the great opportunity they're giving you. In the process, highlight instances of leadership and the possible avenues where you can make a difference after.

Remember, there are a lot of extremely intelligent and talented people out there. What's important is HOW these talents can be used for something greater.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

michellemma

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm working on it at the moment... We'll see how this turns out.

If anyone else has any suggestions, tell me, pleeease.

sophieisticated

HSC
What faculty/course are you applying to?

If its something really industry based, make sure you highlight some 'employable attributes'. I applied for a merit scholarship in Engineering, and there are heaps of other industry sponsored scholarships in Engineering that you are then eligible for, and are a way better deal than merit scholarships. I don't know for certain, but I imagine this would be the same in other faculties like certain sciences, commerce etc.

HSC
is it better to just list our achievements under the focus points and say why they are good, or should we actually write in paragraphs and use sentences and use "i have..."

jaimebien

HSC
Show personality but don't bullshit. If you're going to try something different, don't use clichés. Ultimately, you have to sell your strengths and achievements. Do it in whichever way you think helps you do that the best. And keep it relevant, because of your word limit and because you don't want to make the panelists feel like they're wasting their time reading your application.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)