APEC - What do we get out of it? (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
lots of talk have been about apec and bush coming to sydney, etc. but if we step back a bit, have a look at the bigger picture and stop our obsession with bush - we've spent millions setting up a 5km fence which is 2.8m high, disrupting commuters by shutting down 3 train stations, disrupted the economy by having an extra long weekend - after all these, what do we, as sydneysiders, get out of this apec meeting?

i mean, we can't get close enough to the leaders to get a snap, we don't know what they are up to in their meeting, does any of us want the apec to be held in sydney? whose idea is it in the first place? it wasn't even like the olympics or comm games, where it brought tourists and extra spending in the economy. all apec has brought is angry protests and a war-mungro.

discuss.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I think the idea is that in the long term we'll benefit economically. "They've" been providing figures to support the claim that APEC has helped the region grow since its inception, though I do question whether or not that growth was actually a result of APEC. I'm neither here nor there on the matter, it's happening and there's not much we can do about it.

I do think, though, that the security measures being taken may be a -tad- extreme, but then imagine how much shit we'd be in if the US president was assassinated in Sydney.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
15-20 minute run into the city

<3 APEC

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
we get the honour of having rich powerful men enter the country so that they can share pleasantries with each other and comment on how much weight they each have lost since their last meeting.

damn politicians. learn2internet.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Tulipa said:
I get Friday off work which I love.
Do you have any idea how much this fucks up employers? Maybe your bosses are rich oil sheiks but for some people this is really shit :shy:

Gilbert2

HSC
wuddie said:
whose idea is it in the first place?
Bob Hawke, 1989

all apec has brought is angry protests and a war-mungro.
All APEC so far this year has brought is people claiming that they will protest and bitch. Wait until after it has finished before judging the effect i has had.

williams180

HSC
APEC is beautiful occasion to have in Sydney. It is no doubt our most important multilateral agreement we are apart of and we all should support the leaders of the some of the most important economies and countries in the world coming to sydney to discuss important matters. Security measures are quite understandable if one considers the age we live in and while some may view it as extensive and unneccesary all measures need to be taken to protect leaders from potential attacks. Dont keep your hands in the sand thinking nothing would ever happen here . Excellent stuff seeing George Bush at the press conference this morning that man tells it straight and knows whats best for both the US and its relationship with Australia and his great friend in John Howard.

spittledoo101

HSC
williams180 said:
APEC is beautiful occasion to have in Sydney. It is no doubt our most important multilateral agreement we are apart of and we all should support the leaders of the some of the most important economies and countries in the world coming to sydney to discuss important matters. Security measures are quite understandable if one considers the age we live in and while some may view it as extensive and unneccesary all measures need to be taken to protect leaders from potential attacks. Dont keep your hands in the sand thinking nothing would ever happen here . Excellent stuff seeing George Bush at the press conference this morning that man tells it straight and knows whats best for both the US and its relationship with Australia and his great friend in John Howard.
firstly u need to get ur WHOLE head out of the sand.... bush wouldnt know what was best for australia all he cares about is NO. 1 America and even then u wonder what his reall intentions really was to fuck the world up as much as possible or to be the first president of the USA to only have one vote in an election.... all in all hes an asshole.... like who gets there own cadilacs flown around the world just so he "feels" safe...

secondly what doesnt the apec meeting give sydney siders besides a one big major pain in da ass... u get to see commi leaders like china and north korea make little threats that they cant back up....

LASTLY the dude above me doesnt understand or just doesnt keep up with the news BLAIR IS NOT THE PRIME MINISTER OF ENGLAND NO MORE DUMBASS

Last edited:

williams180

HSC
spittledoo101 said:
firstly u need to get ur WHOLE head out of the sand.... bush wouldnt know what was best for australia all he cares about is NO. 1 America and even then u wonder what his reall intentions really was to fuck the world up as much as possible or to be the first president of the USA to only have one vote in an election.... all in all hes an asshole.... like who gets there own cadilacs flown around the world just so he "feels" safe...

secondly what doesnt the apec meeting give sydney siders besides a one big major pain in da ass... u get to see commi leaders like china and north korea make little threats that they cant back up....

LASTLY the dude above me doesnt understand or just doesnt keep up with the news BLAIR IS NOT THE PRIME MINISTER OF ENGLAND NO MORE DUMBASS
no north korea here buddy and nothing like that lovely leader in george bush haha loser

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
spittledoo101 said:

ahhh the 1 post wonder. learn some rules mate. firstly, no swearing, you are only showing your lack of vocab. secondly, use some punctuation marks, not "....".

communist leaders like china and north korea who make threats they can't back up??? do you want to risk your house being blown up by a nuclear missile? you can't even see through a bluff in poker, how do you, a little year 11 dude from nowhere out-think the whole of north korea? by the way, china didn't make any threats on a global scale, only to taiwan.

get YOUR facts right.

poWerdrY

HSC
<3 apec as well. free long weekend and i (hopefully) get to see protesters get bashed. i hope kevin rudd joins the protesters as well ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)