Anyone wish to attend medical school dropped Biology? (1 Viewer)

VQ

HSC
Still confused what to drop...I want to take Medicine if possible.. I take Phy, Chem (meaning that I have fulfilled my required subjects)...and I wish to drop either Bio or 4u....Is there anyone wishing to attend medical school with no Bio background? Should I drop Bio or 4u, then?

Thx

*sarah*

HSC
My friend also wanted to do medicine. She did chemistry and physics but not biology. You should look at what the uni/med school has as required subjects. I think you should think about which subject you enjoy most and do the best in - it will always be easier to study a subject you enjoy and it will be easier to get good marks. Good luck! :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
For every biology degree at any uni, I've only ever seen chemistry as a requirement.

The biology you get taught at school appears to be merely appreciatory.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
One of my sisters didnt do Bio, and did med, and said there was a little to catch up, but its been so long im not sure. Slide is right. Dont drop Chemistry because you'll be needing that definately.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
I think it depends which uni you want to go to.

Could i drop chemistry in year 12 and still have a solid chance of gettin into medicine?

lala2

Banned
HSC
My friend of a friend of a friend is aspiring to do med and is doing only chem because with bio, she'd have 15 units. She'll definitely get it: she's up for a UAI of 100. Yeah, Physics and Chem is an option, Bio and Chem is another, but either way, don't drop Chem if you want to do Med.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Chem is required for med at UNSW, and i think for Newcastle as well - of course you could do a bridging course, so chem isn't absolutely compulsory, but only if you're willing to take time out of your long summer holiday. Good luck :)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I dont think its a pre req as there's no such thing as a pre req anymore (had a debate on this b4), but my other sister (UNSW) said that they did heaps of chem at UNSW. Im not sure about newcastle on terms of chem only bio

ishq

brown?
HSC
Most of the people i know, who got into med, only had chem. Also, as wrx said, there is no longer any such thing as a pre-requisite, only assumed knowledge.....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
no bio here.. not all of my UNSW or Newc or Monash or Melb med friends either

VQ

HSC
Thankz for all ur reply...

Anyway...I am still rather confused with which subject to drop (I can drop only till Monday!!!). I am handling 14u right now (anyone taking that much???), I haven't felt that MUCH pressure as what I had expected but I think sooner or later I had to drop one so that I can be more focus to my tasks and have more time...

I want to take medicine if possible (Mel-U if I can...Which I doubt it so much, coz I don't think I can)...I realized that I need a very high UAI (96 at least, 99.75 guaranteed) and as ppl say that which school do u go too does matter, I become more unsure...(My school is not a high-ranked, and also since we are out of state, we are in Jakarta...)

Umm...I am taking Chem & Phy (definitely! Both quite well-scaled and pre-requisite for many majors), IBS and ESL (required in my school), 4 u Maths, and Bio...And I am wishing to drop 1...

I am doing fine in Bio (89%, 3 in my year-my preliminary record..2nd in prelim assess) and Math (2units 95%, 2nd in my year-prelim...3units 92%, 5th in my prelim year)...I am surer to myself in Bio though I realised dropping Bio will not give me EST (extra study time) in school (which I think I need) and I need much time to accomplish Bio tasks at home...I am not that sure to my 4u, but it scales up well and I need less time at home if I have EST at school(I mean, doing math does not required u to sit in front of ur comp. u can do it anywhere)...

Should I drop 1? Which one do u think I better drop??

Well....besides, my teacher said prelim assess do affect ur UAI...is it??? How come?

THanks a lot!!!

CrashOveride

HSC
No prelim doesn't affect UAI.

Also, it doesn't matter what school you went to if you want to do medicine. I went to a shithouse school and my mate got into combined Medicine at Melb Uni with a scholarship. (His UAI was 99.2)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
out of all the people that went to med in my school, none of them did bio (or dropped it in year 12)
lack of scaling i think

lala2

Banned
HSC
VQ, 4U Maths I must warn you takes a lot of time. As my teacher said, the workload will kill you not the difficulty. I dropped it, so maybe I'm a little biased in that, but if you think you could just get straight full marks for both 2U and 3U it might be better to drop 4U (having said that, I got 29/30 for both first 2U and 3U MAths assessments, and I go to a school where a literal 100 will onyl get you the top mark). You did say you're not too sure of 4U, but want to do it for the scaling. Many drop bio because it scales poorly. What's IBS? Is it compulsory for you to do it?

btw, out of interest, do you go to the JAkarta International School? I heard of it at FOBISSEA.

VQ

HSC
Well, thanks again 4 ur suggestion...

I'm not going to Jakarta International School, I am in Ipeka Christian Bilingual School (if u ever heard of it....)...It has a relationship with Scots College and St Catherine, they say...

IBS---> Indonesian as Background Speakers...I heard that both my languages course, Indonesian as Background Speakers and ESL scales down...is it true?

May be u r right if the workloads in Math ext2 does kill (I dunno, esp. since I had only started it for weeks) but Bio in my school, we call it as the heaviest in terms of workload (Even some boys in my school hyperbole it a bit by saying 'I'v dropped Bio, and now I can fly as high as the bird'...get what I mean? All most of them take ext2)...

Thanks anyway...Still dunno what 2drop...

malkin86

HSC
You can take Bridging Courses - those sort of depend from uni to uni, though.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
VQ said:
Still confused what to drop...I want to take Medicine if possible.. I take Phy, Chem (meaning that I have fulfilled my required subjects)...and I wish to drop either Bio or 4u....Is there anyone wishing to attend medical school with no Bio background? Should I drop Bio or 4u, then?

Thx
Do both, I did and was glad I did because I found that I stuffed up physics pretty badly so far as my internal assessments went, if you must drop one, then drop bio, because if you go well in 4u it will boost your UAI by a good couple of marks.

VQ

HSC
Thx heapz...dropped bio anyway....Keep going with my 4u

Kelvy

HSC
The only official pre-requisite for medicine (at least at UNSW) is english....that's it, so it doens't matter what else you do as long as you get the marks. That said, the science courses would help I guess.....but hey! I'm doing med and I didn't do chemistry, and i really could not be bothered to go to some shitty bridging course.....so I'm in blind!

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
im in 2nd year med now, and i did no biology in year 11/12.

it really doesnt matter very much - you're given the chance to learn everything pretty much from the basics. it does help to know a bit of science - i found it quite useful to know bits of chem and phys, and i know the bio students found all the stuff about dna and proteins really easy, but it all comes down to the fact that, if u put in the work, it should be ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)