Anyone try OTEN Institute of TAFE (1 Viewer)

CrashOveride

HSC
Vahl3: How are you doing Maths X2 through OTEN, because they do not offer it. Which long distance education institute are you referring to ?

For anyone interested, you can also do the HSC via self-tuition. This means you study at home and when HSC time comes, you do the exams at a local TAFE or school.

soso

HSC
N/A
INtensive program at OTEN the answer is yes and no. There are 8 assignments in each subject. They have to be finished by April 30 for the intensive program. This is seven weeks away. If you did 3 subjects that is 24 assignments in 7 weeks or 3-4 assignments a week so if you are enrolling now. It may be possible in one subject but no more. Call OTEN on 9715 8000 and ask for Connie Fraser the HSC co-ordinator to help you make decisions

Self tuition is OK but remeber that some subjects such as art, textiles and design etc can only be studied under the supervision of a teacher and are therefor not available to home tuition. Some study these subjects at OTEN and it is like self tuition

CrashOveride

HSC
The HSC is a game. You have to play it well if you want a high UAI.

This is why you should not do any kind of textiles or design subjects, they don't scale well.

IceBreaker

HSC
self- tuition is OTEN, i mean how else would you do it?

finish all of it by April, shit man..... why dont they make to like june or something?

thanks soso i think i wont do OTEN really hard to catch up!

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
IceBreaker said:

finish all of it by April, shit man..... why dont they make to like june or something?

thanks soso i think i wont do OTEN really hard to catch up!
There are other options-normal Tafes dont finish everything till late august, so you could apply for that, without too much catching up I suppose. As long as you are not going for the heavyweight subjects.

justinreedy

HSC
I completed the preliminary component through OTEN last year (2004), as I started it quite late I had to finish it in a much smaller period of time. I managed to complete the preliminary in 3 months - although it requires motivation, it's very much doable.

This year (2005) I'm doing the year 12 component and so far it has been good (and even better now that I have a reasonable amount of time to do it in). Once you compile a study timetable and organise your learning materials it is not overly stressful.

My timetable is based around focusing on one subject per week - it's a good system which has worked well so far!

CrashOveride

HSC
IceBreaker said:
No. Officially, OTEN is long-distance education, yes? But essentially, for the most part is basically is self-tuition.

However, when i refer to self-tuition, i mean real self-tuition. This involves the student being FULLY responsible for his/her own learning. You have to buy all the resources you need for yourself. You do not sit any internal assessments, hence do not get any internal marks. All you will get are your HSC marks. You do the HSC exams at a local TAFE.

soso

HSC
N/A
Secrets to good UAI are planning and time management. without those you are not going to get a good UAI no matter which TAFE you choose. ITs a risk enrolling in the intensive mode anywhere at this time. You have missed too much.

Scaling. If you get over 90 you are not scaled down but if you slip down in marks the scaling down can be savage. Students who do humanities subjects get as good results as those who don't

soso

HSC
N/A
At OTEN you have to finish by April 30 so you have enough time to do HSC work and the assessment tasks. If you waited til JUne you wouldn't have time for the HSC stuff

OTEN is a good hybrid between full self tuition and assisted self tuition

IceBreaker

HSC
crash, serious? thats so cool!! , how would legally do it, i mean like do you tell the DET and they give more info? would you be eligable to receive a UAI too? is this more better since you dont have competition and are not 'rank'

Last edited:

IceBreaker

HSC
oh ok i sort of get it soso, if my school have introduced OTEN earlier i would have done one subject through it.

But i really dont anyone should do a full 10/12 U for HSC through OTEN(not saying its crap), like you said it requires good planning & Time Management. Furthermore it requires more self-discipline and motivation. i dont know how i will cope if i do all 12 U through OTEN, my home can be distracting sometime.

Last edited:

IceBreaker

HSC
justinreedy said:
I completed the preliminary component through OTEN last year (2004), as I started it quite late I had to finish it in a much smaller period of time. I managed to complete the preliminary in 3 months - although it requires motivation, it's very much doable.

This year (2005) I'm doing the year 12 component and so far it has been good (and even better now that I have a reasonable amount of time to do it in). Once you compile a study timetable and organise your learning materials it is not overly stressful.

My timetable is based around focusing on one subject per week - it's a good system which has worked well so far!
I wish you luck man, what subjects you doing, is this your 2nd time round?

soso

HSC
N/A
How many subjects you enrol in at OTEN depends on the time of year you are enrolling, when you want to sit the exam, what your education is at present and where you want to go after OTEN. When you are enrolled they ring you up and talk to you about what best suits your needs. THey help you choose.

OTEN is not for everyone but is really important in giving a lot more choices to all students especially students with special needs. I t helps a lot of students who need a second chance because school didn't work out or whose life was interupted by events beyond their control. Its a good place to have.

More students complete at OTEN than don't. Some started on CGVE (yr10). I have been to workshops and they are all different ages but mostly seem young with a few oldies sprinkled in.

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
I was going to going to do welfare through something similar to OTEN but I was lucky enough to get into Welfare at Bathurst Tafe instead. I'm a little behind, I love it:uhhuh:

CrashOveride

HSC
IceBreaker said:
crash, serious? thats so cool!! , how would legally do it, i mean like do you tell the DET and they give more info? would you be eligable to receive a UAI too? is this more better since you dont have competition and are not 'rank'
Yes, im serious. You request a form, they send it to you and you fill it out (board of studies) . Yes, you get a UAI. thats all you get. you dont get a hsc (hsc=piece of paper). For more info, find the "home schooling" thread in School section. I posted a lot of stuff there.

soso: I know what good scaling is and whats shit. I got 99.15 last year with a category B course.

soso

HSC
N/A
OK, OK no need to get cross. You want to read the story about scaling and James King who started this site in todays herald. The numbers are like rubber. I am totally disillusioned with the numbers.

You can get into uni without an UAI. See Macquarie Uni. Its about one exam on one day of your life. If you have a bad day your up thshit with the UAI. Look at private schools. Most don't offer standard english because they now it will be scaled down. I believe there were 2 band 6s in the entire eng standard exam cohort last year.

This does not apply to you but you can get a great UAI by choosing the right subjects even if you don't do well in them, particularly ext subjects.

Or you can have a bad teacher, yes they do exist, and again you get shafted. Or your teacher doesn't like you and you are scaled down in assessments.

There are huge variables so I no longer see it as a level playing field. Lets hear from those who know what I am talking about.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
While I think that extensions, classical languages etc. can have a greater than normal effect on your UAI, you cant do badly in them and expect a good UAI soso, remember that James King's Advanced English score was pretty malleable too, and you cant tell me that has great scaling, we also didnt see any other courses to compare scaling so its unfair to make that kind of statement. For all we know arabic beginners might have a similar effect in that mode.
And if you want to ask people's opinions on scaling you should do it in the other forum as it is a bit off topic.

IceBreaker

HSC
that great but one thing that puts me off is not getting a HSC paper record of achievement and just getting a UAI. i mean i still/need can use that HSC certificate for geting part time jobs, more Importanly keeping as an treasured achievment.

IceBreaker

HSC
kami there actually a few other extension subjects before like 3U Economics & 3 Business studies, i think its unfair to just offer ext in eng & maths, there should be more since many people arent good at them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)