Anyone thinking about international studies? (1 Viewer)

julia_jules

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of putting this as my first preference... anyone else?

s2ophie

HSC
i do this course. its good

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
can u tell me more about the international studies course?
like what do you get to do in the course...
is it like u hafta do something related to eco/globalisation?

s2ophie

HSC
search through this forum. There are lots of posts about this course

Basically:
- Its a four year course
- 1 year overseas
- THere are 4 possible streams
- European Studies (What i do) - A European Studies core (basically european history), a language (a european one!) A social science (eg politics or economics) and free electives (THis is only in 1st year - later on you do general education courses)
- Asian Studies - which i believe is similar but you obviously take an asian slant
- Globalisation - A globalisation core that this year involved sociology stuff and then world history - a social science free electives and you don't have to do a language
- languages - 2 languages (either european ones, asian ones or both) a social science or one of the euro/asian or globalisation cores and free electives

In all honesty it is basically an arts degree but with more. Its well worth doing if thats what you want.

*sarah*

HSC
whats the core in int studies like?
Im thinking about doing it but dont know if id like the core :(

s2ophie

HSC
I didn't mind the EURO core. Its all really good background stuff to know but it gets a bit drawn out in second session. You do 6 weeks on Germany, 4 weeks on Eastern Europe and 4 weeks on European Integration each session and first session is 1945-1989 and second session in 1989 to now so it is very modern. Friends who do the globalisation stream didn't particularly like the sociology 1st session but enjoyed world histroy second session.

You better check though because i think the course structure is changing for next year...

Manan

HSC
What about the International Studies and Law course? are there any feasible career opportunities after this degree?

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
i dont like unsw international studies, not enough languages (c'mon man!) and cultures.

i was thinking of an arts degree with similar majors, but after reading what sophie wrote, i might revert to int studies,
i also met future int studies recently anyway..................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)