Anyone that studied the Gothic Genre.. HELP (1 Viewer)

nawtyalissa

This sounds pretty pathetic, but for a upcoming assessment in which we must give a presentation about 2 gothic texts, ive chosen Dracula and the TV show Passions. Has any of you seen Passions? Its on 7 at 3 in the arvo.. Is it just me? or is this a modern manifestation of the gothic tradition?

It is emotionally exausting and contains elements of the supernatural, dark forests, magic and good/evil.. with the prescence of some heroes (Luis, Ethan..) and Heroines (Charity.. Sheridan)

What you think?

Im Killing my brain here :chainsaw:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Its a modern manifestation of a load of BS if you ask me.

I can't belive you're linking the gothic genre, Stoker, Shelley with Passions!!! urgh

Unless, you are clever enough to bring in extremely sophisticated arguments, Passions would NOT be a good text to use. Im not just saying this because it has no textual integrity but to link it to the gothic themes of Dracula would be difficult. Even if you manage, it might sound a little far fetched and ridiculous.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Use Frankenstein or turn of the screw, or Psycho. don't use passions. you could say its a spoof but thats about it.

(they were the 3 texts we used last year)

nawtyalissa

i was thinking about psycho but somewhere along the line it got overlooked somehow. ill re-consider

point about passions having no textual integrity but thats what society thought of gothic texts back in the day. god ill be quiet now and try to be open minded.

santaslayer

HSC
Yeah, use Franky. Passions is...eh, crap. :p

You can also use Wuthering Heights-The movie or the novel. :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by nawtyalissa
point about passions having no textual integrity but thats what society thought of gothic texts back in the day
yeah and society took a long time to uncover and prove that it was. How long do you have? Two weeks? :p

Frankenstein can't be used because its also a set text for the Gothic Genre, I think...

Last edited:

nawtyalissa

yeah franky is a set text that i think were starting next term so i might be able to get away with it.

i love psycho but i dont thnk that its a good choice for this..

ill try wuthering heights.. does the movie adhere to the book well? i really dont have enough time to read the book. are there any other suitable books that were redone well in movies?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the movie with Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes is (it kills me to say it :( ) not a very good representation of the book, and having read the book a few times, it is better to use it for the imprtant issues, esp in relation to the more supernatural and to an extent the gothic

If you can manage to make the time, read it. otherwise, it might not be such a good idea to use it.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
i hate frankenstein with a passion. a passion i say. so happy when i finished it

nawtyalissa

shame about wuthering heights.. it makes more sense the more i think about it.. i wish i had more time!!!

any more options?

lol i havent read frankenstine, my teacher seems pretty enthused about it. dont know whether thats a good or a bad thing though..

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
:eek: I liked Frankenstein...much mroe so than Dracula...
... hmmm your werid :p

I really liked turn of the screw, but i was the only one who actually liked it...why does that always happen?

I hate english :( oh and maths. Tenille hates english and maths :cry:

nawtyalissa

yeah dracula wasnt really a fun book to read. it was a long and arduous road lol.

lol comparing dr jekyll and frankenstine would b interesting.
focus! lol i read dracula so sticking to it.

i wish i spent the earlier 1/2 of the year familiarising myself with other gothic texts, instead of sleeping and reading psycho over and over again.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
well, it obviously brings up the notion of identity and you could relate this to, oh shit, whats here name? Mina Harker's friend? the girl that turns into a vampire....damnit! racking my brain...

anyway, THAT girl...how she gradually loses her own individual self and is possessed exposing a darker side, which might never have been inside her in the first place...ahh this could so be linked to Frankie...but ill stop here

nawtyalissa

lol Lucy Westenra?

haha it seems like everything can b linked to franky. oh goddamn. :mad1:

true about the identity thing.. im not really familiar with it.. which is kinda pathetic considering this is THE dr jekyll & mr hyde. i feel quite unintelligent right now.

maybe i could do interview with the vampire.. thats a good movie :confused:

and they both have vampires. my brain is dead. i think i need sleep so i can think..

nawtyalissa

oh god. that just seals the deal. :p

ill have a re-read of my dracula notes and see what hits me.. now that i have all this new found inspiration

nawtyalissa

i had a chat to my teacher, and she suggested i compare the text to the movies.. a new one and a old one. so i rented out the original 1930's Bela Legosi one; and the 1992 one with Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins and Keanu Reeves.

The 1930s one is soooo cheesy and funny :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)