Anyone studying Peter Skrzynecki? (1 Viewer)

xnerd96x

HSC
In relation to the belonging topic, does anyone have any thoughts on the question: Belonging is not just black or white, discuss in relation to two poems you have studied.

I already have a few ideas, but as this is probably going to be an extended response I'm asking for your input!!!!!!!!!!!

:DDDDDDD

HSC
N/A
Hi there,

You could discuss the idea that perceptions of belonging vary as shaped by personal or cultural factors, or that values or attitudes towards aspects of belonging change over time as a result of personal experiences, societal pressures and expectations, etc. (It was actually one of the core ideas that I used in my own belonging essay for the HSC, for which I received a raw mark of 15/15 for - similar phrasing.)

You could also consider the conflict between different aspects of belonging, or any potential paradoxes (another one of my core ideas). For instance, the paradox that all groups and organisations are founded on ideas of exclusion; the fundamental contradiction that to belong to one group or community, you may need to exclude yourself from another; the conflict between individual desires and societal attitudes.

Hope that helps, and good luck :)

Regards,
Delta Education

xnerd96x

HSC
Thankyou very much!!

I've recently composed an essay with related text 'The Mending Wall' by Robert Frost. I commented on the irony divisive features in building relationships between people, and how both nature and place are intrinsically related to sense of belonging, how perhaps the desire to belong is a very basic human complex and (similar to you) how perhaps stigmas and exclusionary barriers between people naturally occur and inhibit belonging.

I used the poems 'Folk Museum', 'Postcards' 'Ancestors' and 'The Mending Wall'.

Bobbo1

HSC
Hi there,

You could discuss the idea that perceptions of belonging vary as shaped by personal or cultural factors, or that values or attitudes towards aspects of belonging change over time as a result of personal experiences, societal pressures and expectations, etc. (It was actually one of the core ideas that I used in my own belonging essay for the HSC, for which I received a raw mark of 15/15 for - similar phrasing.)

You could also consider the conflict between different aspects of belonging, or any potential paradoxes (another one of my core ideas). For instance, the paradox that all groups and organisations are founded on ideas of exclusion; the fundamental contradiction that to belong to one group or community, you may need to exclude yourself from another; the conflict between individual desires and societal attitudes.

Hope that helps, and good luck :)

Regards,
Delta Education
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)