Anyone planning to do Psychology? (1 Viewer)

Ball_man

HSC
Just wondering if anyone doing psychology next year?...heard its god dam hard

spence

HSC
I'm doing first year psych at the moment. I love it, and am planning on majoring in it. And keep in mind you doin't need to do BPsych to major in it and do honours, so you don't necessarily need to get a really high UAI/ATAR

Ball_man

HSC
I'm doing first year psych at the moment. I love it, and am planning on majoring in it. And keep in mind you doin't need to do BPsych to major in it and do honours, so you don't necessarily need to get a really high UAI/ATAR
I heard you have to do Maths...is it the same as the maths we learn in 2 unit? It's not hard is it?

spence

HSC
I heard you have to do Maths...is it the same as the maths we learn in 2 unit? It's not hard is it?
The maths in Psych is just stats, and the stats you do in first year is nothing, although i'm sure it picks up in later years. But if you do BPsych or BScience, you have to do maths units as well. I'm doing arts so I don't have to do these though

Ball_man

HSC
The maths in Psych is just stats, and the stats you do in first year is nothing, although i'm sure it picks up in later years. But if you do BPsych or BScience, you have to do maths units as well. I'm doing arts so I don't have to do these though
Dont you have to have 2 majors though if your in BArts?...also what your saying does that mean that the BArts is another alternative route to becomming a Pyschologist?

Ball_man

HSC
Can i have your email?...thinking of doing it next year after HSC is all over!

It would be great to have someone to help

spence

HSC
Dont you have to have 2 majors though if your in BArts?...also what your saying does that mean that the BArts is another alternative route to becomming a Pyschologist?
Yeah you do need to do a major from arts as well. You can become a psychologist through any degree that you can major in psych in. The important thing is that you make it into honours, and then into postgrad

McMizza

Sociology/Psyc UniStudent
HSC
It's not so much hard to understand, you can get your head around the content if you put in the effort - go to lectures, tutorials and do the readings. There's just A LOT to learn, which can make understanding difficult.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
you can do the easiest level of maths, call maths for life sciences, and it only requires 2unit (advanced) assumed knowledge. but it is a little bit harder than hsc maths. many of the concepts you learn are 3unit and 4unit ideas, and they go through the work faster than at school.

if you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me :)

daniieee

HSC
I'm seriously considering doing psych at USyd next year but you're saying if I don't get the ATAR (sounds retarded, I'd much rather the UAI but whatever), I can still do it through..?

I figured there'd be maths in it somewhere, because psychology is essentially a science. So you're doing psychology through your B Arts, and that means no maths? =]] Appealinggggg! Not that I hate maths, but I'd rather not touch it after high school.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
I'm seriously considering doing psych at USyd next year but you're saying if I don't get the ATAR (sounds retarded, I'd much rather the UAI but whatever), I can still do it through..?

I figured there'd be maths in it somewhere, because psychology is essentially a science. So you're doing psychology through your B Arts, and that means no maths? =]] Appealinggggg! Not that I hate maths, but I'd rather not touch it after high school.
if you dont get an ATAR high enough for B Psych, you can either do B Science or B Arts with a major in psych, which will allow you to do honours if you achieve sufficient marks.

even if you do psych through an arts degree, you don't do 'maths' as such, but you have to do statistics as a topic within psych. it's not particularly hard calculations or anything though. and you'll only use it once or twice.

daniieee

HSC
if you dont get an ATAR high enough for B Psych, you can either do B Science or B Arts with a major in psych, which will allow you to do honours if you achieve sufficient marks.

even if you do psych through an arts degree, you don't do 'maths' as such, but you have to do statistics as a topic within psych. it's not particularly hard calculations or anything though. and you'll only use it once or twice.
So you can do an Honours in Psych through Arts? Awesome. I think can handle the maths bit if it's just statistics. Thanks for that! I'm still hoping to get the ATAR of 97.20 to do B Psych though, and if I fail then I'll probably do it through B Arts. Flexible much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)