anyone out there red Catch-22? (1 Viewer)

Jezzabelle

Hey guys!
after just finishing extension english today, i was cleaning out all my books and notes and found this treasure of a book :) I read it for prelim extension english cos we studied Satire (best module ever!) and i am heaps nostalgic about it. its got to be one of my favourite books in the world. i wish satire was a hsc module and i could of written about this and not stupid wank Ondaatje's Anil's Ghost.

i think i will reread it tonight :)

EDIT: lol i spelled 'read' wrong.. hahahha

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I liked it (the book, didn't do ext english)... but it's a while since i've read it. Very clever though.
"This army only has one Major Major Major Major, and i'll be damned if we're going to lose him to a silly thing like a promotion!" :D (or something like that)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yeah love the Catch-22 gang. Always great to pick it up, flick to a random chapter and have a good laugh :)

walrusbear

HSC
it's one of my favourite books too

very funny and very clever

mewcou

I envy you. We did crime fiction in ext 1. I hate crime fiction. Anyway, I loved Catch 22, it's the most enjoyable book I've read.

Mini

relax
HSC
i love catch 22, kinda read it three times. yeah, 'kinda' coz everytime i get halfway through it, i find another book to pick up. i really really want to read it all but it HAS NO PLOT and i can't seem to muster up the discipline.

i did satire in year 11 too *sigh* good old days. now i'm an actuarial student. of all things. pfft.

'i used to go around with crab apples in my cheeks'
'why???'
'coz they're better than horse chestnuts'

(or something like that)

Jezzabelle

Mini said:
i love catch 22, kinda read it three times. yeah, 'kinda' coz everytime i get halfway through it, i find another book to pick up. i really really want to read it all but it HAS NO PLOT and i can't seem to muster up the discipline.

i did satire in year 11 too *sigh* good old days. now i'm an actuarial student. of all things. pfft.

'i used to go around with crab apples in my cheeks'
'why???'
'coz they're better than horse chestnuts'

(or something like that)
you should really read it all. its worth it, i know you get bogged down with all the hundreds of little story lines, that he never finishes, he just goes off into a tangent about something else. but heller ties all the little stories up neatly in the end. and yossarin has the best ending.. you HAVE to finish it!!!!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I will certainly read it when I get the time...sounds like a great book...

waterfowl

HSC
I read the first couple of pages and didn't like it, so I never actually read past page 2. Maybe I should have given it a chance, but I generally don't like a book that doesn't capture me in the first 2 pages.

walrusbear

HSC
that is weird
seeing as how catch-22 has a very engaging opening

GromReaper

HSC
It sounds like a great book, and I noticed a few weeks ago that we have it in one of the bookshelves next to the computer - mayhap I'll read it after I finish Stephen King's Dark Tower series (which I plan to do tonight).

Jezzabelle

hey...

couldnt sleep last night so opened up Catch-22... 20min later Dad comes into my room and starts yelling at me, he thought i was on my mobile to someone, cos i was giggling so much!

ha ha best book ever!

~*~Karina~*~

I love that book!! Yeah we did satire in Yr 11 too, and it was sooo much fun, best topic ever. I'm supposed to give it back to the school, but I don't want to! A lot of people in my class had trouble reading it, i remember our teacher just getting up and walking out of class cos hardly anyone had read it, big guilt trip...but it is so funny, I'm a big fan. It just makes no sense at all, and its hilarious... I really want to meet Joseph Heller...it could be interesting.

Jase

HSC
ahah i love the Major Major Major Major chapter... cracks me up everytime.

but Yossarian is of course the best.

Well i've never analysed it, so i don't really know what it's actaully about. it's a satire of the war, and all the fallacies and stuff like a catch-22 right.. it was just reall entertaining

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
haha this has got to be one of the funniest book ever

i remember major major major major , nately's whore, the flies in his eyes guy and kid sampson who lost everything above his shins :D all the character are weirdly funny

SharkBait

HSC
abt dat book

im in the middle of it at the moment....and it's sooooooooooooo random. i mean, it is definitely funny and brilliantly written and wonderfully creative etc etc but what the hell is it abt????????????????? is the whole book this randomness? i hope it all ties up neatly in the end coz at the moment i dont see where heller could be going wit it.
can someone give me a brief idea of wot the book is abt? or attempt to do?
thanks!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
im about middle of the way through it atm as well - funniest book i have read in a LONG time! i didnt think i would like it at first but omg its so cool. I love Milo Minderbinder and Lieutenant Schiesskopf (spelling?) damn theyre funny. i just dont get milo's schemes though - i sat there for like 2 hrs on friday trying to make sense of them "so, he sells the eggs for 5c because he got them for more...wtf?!" etc. but yeah it is a really mad book. i love the part about scheisskopf that goes something like "Lieutenant scheisskoph was rather glad that war had broken out, because it gave him an opportunity to wear an officers uniform everday and say "men" in a clipped, military voice" etc. lmao. also love the circular reasoning ie that if u didnt want to fly mission ur insane and have 2, but if you do want to fly them ur sane and dont have 2. lol! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)