Anyone having doubts about whether they're good enough? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I don't know I guess I'd always done really well in French, and had been coming first, but now that it's not chapter test-based and more skills-based I think I'm struggling and I'm also doubting whether I'm that great and if I should continue French.

Had our speaking text recently and was really disappointed because I'd prepared answers for all minus one question that he asked but sometimes he just looked like he expected me to keep going so I kept saying something which contained grammatical mistakes or made no sense xD

But yeah I"m just having a crisis of confidence. HOw do you keep motivated to do French when you're doubting whether you're good enough :(

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
i had the same problem in chemistry. i was ranked 3rd last year and now im around 15th because i stuffed up my half yearly

honestly you need to keep up what youve been doing and have confidence in yourself, use this to work on the skills that need more work and youll be up to par in no time

good luck

and are you hsc 08 or '10? :S

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
if you believe you can then you can. if you have zero confidence in yourself then obviously fail.

just keep trying/practicing. practice makes perfect right?

of_the

HSC
This might be a little unhelpful, but with me, progress comes with motivation, the same way motivation comes with progress. At the end of last term, I was having problems with speaking as well - I was taking lots of pauses to think of the phrases and words that I wanted to use, constantly making grammatical errors, etc. This term, my teacher has said that I've made progress.

Listening to French does improve speaking. I've subscribed to French podcasts - I recommend Le Journal en francais facile (you can look it up on itunes but I don't know where else you can get it). It's mostly news items, but it's not too difficult to follow.

I do French Cont via Open High. One thing I find really helpful is reading any French text aloud. Sometimes I record it and listen to the playback to get a sense of what my accent sounds like. Reading things aloud helps me get accustomed to saying certain phrases and verb conjugations.

Kittikhun

HSC
This might be a little unhelpful, but with me, progress comes with motivation, the same way motivation comes with progress. At the end of last term, I was having problems with speaking as well - I was taking lots of pauses to think of the phrases and words that I wanted to use, constantly making grammatical errors, etc. This term, my teacher has said that I've made progress.

Listening to French does improve speaking. I've subscribed to French podcasts - I recommend Le Journal en francais facile (you can look it up on itunes but I don't know where else you can get it). It's mostly news items, but it's not too difficult to follow.

I do French Cont via Open High. One thing I find really helpful is reading any French text aloud. Sometimes I record it and listen to the playback to get a sense of what my accent sounds like. Reading things aloud helps me get accustomed to saying certain phrases and verb conjugations.
This, plus read a lot of French in your head (reading out aloud is good but if you read French out aloud all the time it is really time consuming. Only read out aloud sometimes but not all the time) and by that I mean as much as you can. Read things that you are interested in of course and you will improve and feel a sense of achievement. If you are a science sort of person you can try reading articles off this site-

Sciences | Au coeur de la science avec Futura-Sciences

Just expose yourself to the language and do as much French erudition as you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)