Anyone Get In? (1 Viewer)

rubylotus11

BA anyone?

Anyone else get into a Bachelor of Arts, or doing Arts subjects, Congrats! Also what subjects are people choosing, ie english, history, philosophy etc etc. Just curious.

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Im doing (if possible):

-Ancient History
-Art History & Theory

If i can do more:

-Archaeology (Classical)
-Philosophy

How many can i do exactly? :/

For Science bit

-Psychology (Major)
-Mathematics
-Computer Science

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i'm not sure on the exact rules of the degree but you have 4 subjects per semester...

you have compulsory maths subjects but i'm not sure if you have to do them in first year.

i'd suggest that you do 2 arts and 2 science subjects per semester. generator is in the sci/arts degree, maybe he can help you out..

Bruno

Hey can anyone help me with the (fee) courses?
If you pay 1st year is it easy to transfer to (HECS) course 2nd year?
Thanks...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I also got in, and am doing;

First semester
ENGL 1005-Inventing Modernity
HSTY 1025-Early Medieval History
HSTY 1045-Modern European History 1750-1914
PHIL 1010-Society, Knowledge and Reason.

Second Semester
ANTH 1002-Experiences Of Globalisation.
ENGL 1025-Fiction, Film and Power.
HSTY 1043-Modern European Politics and Culture
PHIL 1011-Reality, Ethics and Beauty.

:)

suz

HSC
I'm doin arts/law and am most probably doin italian, politics, history and not sure about french??????

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by Bruno
Hey can anyone help me with the (fee) courses?
If you pay 1st year is it easy to transfer to (HECS) course 2nd year?
Thanks...
that will depend on your marks, because you will be competing for a HECS place with next year's cohort.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Anthropology is a great subject, the faculty's really nice and they get actual faculty lecturers to take the tutes instead of Joe Bloggs grad student off the streets. Only thing is, most of the lecturers don't use overheads and don't have lecture notes so you have to pay close attention during the lectures.

A lot of other people doing anthropology also take up sociology and psychology.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Try sociology which is a great subject. The lecturers are good and most if not all of the tutors are PHD students. The subject is quite broad and you study a wide range of theories and concepts!!!

rubylotus11

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad the anthropology people are nice and I'll be sure to pay attention. Have you done anthropology? It seems like a really interesting subject.

I was also interested in doing sociology, so I am glad that it's meant to be a good subject with good tutors.

I also would be interested in pyschology, but I have heard that it is a really tough course? Also since it is in the science faculty is it weird being an arts student? Or is everyone cool with that.

I had been interested in government and international relations and studies in religion too, but there just isn't enough time to do them all.
Would you guys suggest
Anthropology, Sociology, Pyschology and Philosophy as good choices? Or should I throw in something else? It's so confusing. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Well unfortunately theres nothing you can do about the amount of subjects you can do unless you overload in 2nd semester or take summer school, but the four that you have already look like a good mix of subjects,quite broad and really interesting subjects.

And you can always take up Gender Studies, Film Studies, European studies, Australian Studies, Medievil Studies etc in Senior years!!!

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh and yes you can do psychology under an arts degree. i think in 2002 the top psychology student was a b. arts student. and there is around 1500 people doing psych, well there were last year, from all sorts of degrees. only around 50 of those are actually b. psychology students. so you get the idea!!

rubylotus11

Are any of you studying pyschology? I am interested in the subject but I am more interested in Jungian psychology than freudian. And I've heard that at an undergraduate level you are taught more from the freudian perspective. Although I guess that too would be interesting.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i did psych in first year....
you study alot of different theories and it isn't dominated my freudian theory.

in later years, you get to pick an area (or theorist) to focus on.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I'm studying Psychology under my science bit. I wanna keep arts free to ancient and art history.

After hearing about computer science (A lesson on how 2 turn on a computer and open word :/) i don't think i want to do that anymore. A few people say that computer science isn't the way to go if you want to program stuff (I.E. Games). is there any unit that is good for that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)