Anyone doing music?? (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

lalalala....
(and you wonder why i have so many posts) .

anyway... dont be shy... come out and discuss whatever subject you do.

kenny

Yeah i do music, play the guitar and drums (though only getting marked on guitar though)

have my trials and hsc coming up real shortly for my music performances, so gotta polish them up still

dissonance

yeah I take ext. music...

I play a number of instruments but for the HSC is doin percussion.

My problem that I broke my wrist and seeing that I'm a percussionist its been impossible to practise for the last couple months (I thought this stuff only happened in nightmares)....I just got the cast off less than a week ago. However since I don't happen to own four timpani, xylophones etc. I have to wait until I get back to school till I can even see if my wrist is strong enough to get through my pieces (the docter said it'll take up to 2 months for it to be 100% again).

Before I broke my wrist I could play 2 of my 3 pieces so I don't know quite how it'll all pan out at the moment. Maybe a misadventure form might be a good idea....i dunno. Trail performances in week 3.

My composition just has to be recorded which is easier said than done I have to say....

My ext. music essay still needs a lot more work...all I've written is the intoduction and now I'm realising that I'm really going to start running out of time soon....
Billy

kenny

thats too bad you broke your wrist, hope it gets better in time for your performances

how do you usually record your compositions?

I use a really simple method of using this program I downloaded called Sonic Acid Pro 3 and use a cheap $5 mic, and the quality turns out to be quite good, much better than a voice recorded and those other devices. The good thing about this program is that you can also record in segments, so you don't have to record everything in one take, though my composition did take quite a while (cos i had 4 simultaneous guitar layers and a drum layer) it actually doesnt take too long, to do.

If you need the program just email me or something or reply back.

dissonance

Well my composition has piano, xylophone and electric bass.

My school has a little recording studio so I'll keep it simple and just record it live. I'll my get teachers to play all the parts since admitedly most of it is a little beyond my own capabilities.

But just a couple days ago I recorded some rough demo tracks with my band using cubase...I think its a pretty much the same kind of program you were using...

what kind of style is your composition in?

kenny

Recording studio?? ahh our school doesnt have that! :p although with our new buildings we just built, maybe we'll get one in, ahh doesnt matter I can only use the buildings for another half term then it'll be over cos of hsc.

The topic I did my composition in was "An instrument and its repertoire" so I had the flexibility to basically choose any sorta of style so long it contained an instrument showing its capabilities through technology and all that.

But regarding the style I played it, it was a rock piece, but with a more sombre mood to it.

dissonance

I kinda wish I could of done I rock piece. It wouldn't of been much work for me cause I would have enjoyed doin it so much...

On thursay we have Paul Stanhope coming in to talk with us about our compositions, give us advice and things. It should be good...

And yeah about two years ago our school built a new music building and put a recording studio in it. Most of the time its useless since no one has bothered to teach anyone who goes to the school how to use it. If someone wants to use they have to bring in an engineer themselves...

...although the head of music is going to get someone in after the trials who will spend a couple days recording everyone's compositions in there....

dansnation

yep im doing music 1.
doing 3 performances and a viva.
trials next week

anyone else here doing drums for their performance?
my pieces:

Drum duet -
roben ford - busted up
dave weckl - big B little b

how about you guys?

dissonance

I'm not really doing drums for my performance but I play drums a lot and those peices sound really cool...

I'm playing percussion for my music 2 performance so thats close enough right? :D

Four Drums - Lloyd (I choose to play it with bongos and congas with sticks)...kinda easy but I'm playin it pretty fast so...

Last Movement from Sarchich's Concerto pieces for timpani and piano. (This is way too cool - half way through I put my sticks down and start clapping and stompping my feet with my piano player....lots of butts on drums and playin the rims and stuff)

A multi-piece with xylophone, glock, bongos, cymbals, woodblock, cow bells, triangle, snare drum...Diversions I think its called

trial performances are next week but since I broke my wrist I haven't decided if I'll play all three yet...

Confuzzled?!

HSC
wow..everyone is playing an instrument....man...i feel so insignificant. lol....

for all 4, i'm doing performance.....
~singing......

for a viva..when my music teacher said some students had an extract, on one tape..so there would be 50 tapes altogether......oh my gosh.....

hey..is anyone here good at aural?
lol..so far...i'm horrible at aural.....

Confuzzled?!

HSC
dissonance, that's a bummer.....
what happens if you can't perform? will they let you do it some other time? or will that be an 'misadventure' and will you get an estimated mark?

i'm glad my trial performances are on the last day of trials...all day........but..still...so nerve racking. lol.....

dissonance

hmmm, well my performance trials are monday night. (in front of an audience and examiners).

I'm performing all my pieces....physically I can handle it, but I've been practising every moment I get over the last week to catch up after my injury. (since I'm a percussionist I can't practise at home). I'm not sure whether my lack of preperation time will be taken into consideration or not...but it looks like I'll give a reasnoble performance anyway.....

*stress*:confused:

Confuzzled?!

HSC
wow?!?! at night? in front of audience and examiners? omg........
i'm so glad my trials are the 3rd monday. :D
so you pretty much only have monday at school to practice? omg........hmmm....true....teachers are horrible...:cool:. Break a leg for monday night :) I'm sure you'll do great....how come you're doing them at night? lol.

I have english advance on monday...:( .....so depressing.....but.....atleast i'll still have time to practice in music room for my music erformances. :)

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Yeah, I do Music 1.
It seems like most of you are doing either Music 2 or Extension. I wouldn't know what that'd be like. Must be a LOT of work. Even Music 1 is a lot of work for me.
I'm majoring in performance. I play the violin... and yup, my trials are coming up :)

Confuzzled?!

HSC
Amy..imagine if we did Music 2? Ohhh..my...dear......lol....
*below average, below average.....DEFINATELY BELOW AVERAGE*.....*sigh*
so depressing.....
hey..remember how miss said for our composition..we can take the one we like the best..and do more work on it to get a better mark then have it sent in to the BOS?

can we still do that?!

Lol...man..ames..you wanna swap majoring? i'll do the violin, you can do the singing! Lol

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
LOL!
Marina that'd be SO awesome!!! You KNOW how much I love to sing. Let's swap :D I'm sure you can learn the violin in 2 weeks time for the Trials!!!
I don't even know WHY you're panicking for Music. You just sing! Oh! If I was majoring in singing for Performance I'd be SO glad!
But for the violin... Hmmmm
Yeah, I'm not so sure about the composition task. I'm thinking... maybe not. My Musicology mark and my composition mark aren't really good enough to send... but oh well.
Yeah! What IS the Music 2 course all about? I really do admire you guys, as I can barely even handle the Music 1 course.

Confuzzled?!

HSC
HEHEHE....why not..oh wait..i've got long finger nails..hmm...nah..i'll stick with singing..can't even handle a bass guitar let alone violin..u know..for some reason, i think i'm the only person in our music class, who hasn't had a go at ur violin! heheheh.
why i'm panicking?! i just sing?! omg! have you heard me lately? mickey mouse galore man! i could open a "Mickey Mouse" impersonator company or something....

ehh..my musicology mark wasn't all that bad..i think...:) it better have been pretty good...for staying up till all hours of the nite doing it! aii yaa!!!!

True..what is the difference between Music 1 and Music 2?

besides more work and harder assessments :p

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
LOL! The only reason you haven't had a go at my violin is because you have not received my permission to :p

Nah... it's all good.

Yeah! You have good marks, so there is nothing for you to worry about :)

dissonance

well, I don't really think there is quite "that" much difference between music 1 and music 2. For example our school has 7 people that take music 2 and one person that takes music 1. That one person just goes to our class and learn pretty much all the stuff we learn.....(we have 5 people that also take music extension - 3 performance and 2 musicology).

basically it seems music 1 had more freedom in terms of the style of music you can study and a lower standerd is expected from examiners. For instance a music 2 or extension cadidate would be expected to perform a piece better than a music 1 candidate...and they wouldn't look too kindly on an extension music performer singing a britany spears song or composing a pop song.

Honestly I reckon that extension music is the easiest unit that anyone could take. I mean I have to work up 3 performances in the first place so just doing three more wouldn't be too much to ask.

On refelection my extension musicology essay is quite a bit of work....most of which I have not done yet...all year its kinda been treated as a last priority after other assessments or my 4-unit major work and now I'm beginning to run out of time with trials now on the horizon.....:(

by the way I would consider singing the most nerve-racking instrument. I'd be freakin out about getting a cold or a sore throat....it can be so easy to stuff up singing on the day even if you've practised it heaps.....

Yeah our trials are 6:30pm tomorrow night...so anyone can come watch them (I don't expect to see many more people than our parents though of course). We have external examiners judge us as well. And no, we don't get the whole day off to practice....I'll use my free in last period to haul all my percussion gear down to the stage and set up etc. but thats about it....

It definately makes sure that all of our pieces are in a decent state before the external exams....:cool:

Break a leg for monday night
No more broken limbs for me, one broken wrist was more than enough hassle.....thanks though, I'm sure you'll go really well as well

Confuzzled?!

HSC
? that's a difference......8 people who do music? wow...better than our class...we only have 5!!! lol.
extension music?! what school you go to man? North Sydney or something?!?! St. Ives?! lol.......
extension...scary.....

lol...true true......so far, i'm quite ashamed of my music pieces :eek:
Britney spears song *cough cough cough*........i can't compose...so...it wouldn't matter to me! Lol.

Extension is the easiest?! omg......
i'll stick to extension one....lol....my background in music isn't all that great! lol.
4-unit major work?! mehhhhhhh.......
yep..trials are tomorrow starting!!! lol.

mmmhmm...yeap....coz if you're getting sick the day on a performance..it's not so good...lol..."last year....src assembly.....went thru 2 rolls of butter menthols...that don't work" lol....

I'll be at home at 6:30pm tomorrow night, studying for engilsh paper 2, and freaking about how badly i did on english paper 1....lol.
Ouch....do u have actual classes tomorrow?
I was gonna say "dammit..i dont' have a free last period tomorrow..but...we're not gonna be at school coz we've already gone home to study! :p

external?! omg......having my music teacher, a student teacher and a sub music teacher is scary enough!!!! but it sorta helps that my music teacher is a marker for the HSC..hehe.

Hauling....arghh.....Man, gotta haul mixer, mics, music stand for 'violin', out and set up..."cries" Amy..you gonna be at school at 8:40 on our music perf. to set up? lol...or tune up or something?

lol.....ok..."dont' break any limbs..but i wish you all the best!" lol :)
Thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)