• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone doing Cyteen? (1 Viewer)

Bekaroo

HSC
OMG, how the hell do you get through it? It's just so damn boring and complicated! I've read 3 pages and I'm already over it.

Is anyone else actually studying it? I've been looking for resources but can't find anything too helpful as of yet. I feel like impailing it with a fence post...then watching it burn...

blyss

HSC
Lord Pheasant said:
I love Cyteen! I read it twice.
feel free to share everything you know about it :)
just kidding. Seriously though im finding it really hard to get into, although other people in my class love it..then again they hate dune so i dont trust their literary judgement anymore lol
Sadly we're studying cyteen as in depth as dune, THT and LOTR..a bit difficult when both times ive tried to start reading it ive fallen asleep.. hopefully third times the charm lol

blyss

HSC
Lord Pheasant said:
Dune is annoying because people don't think the way they should - apparently Herbert was influenced by Shakespeare hence the characters' thoughts are like asides, but it really bugs me the way people think in that book
i get what you mean but i still think ill end up liking dune more..although theres a couple of times throughout it where Paul suddenly is able to see so much more and Herbert goes on for a couple of paragraphs describing this newfound power or whatever and its just aggravating..then again it might be just me who thinks that lol

vicious_boo

Who ate my face cake?
HSC
Ooo I'm doing Cyteen...I'm almost finished too. It is a bit hard to get through...but you know what they say...once you pop you can't stop. Ok so I'm rather lame and have been conditioned by the TV...more to the point, just power on. FORCE YOURSELF. I had to. My favourite so far is Handmaids...still need to get through Dune...which is rather dry, but it isn't the worst book I have ever read. Cyteen actually gets really interesting...it's just the length that puts people off. Goodluck, don't stress...you will be fine :)

BlackDragon

HSC
all i can say is too bad for you, (whoever is doing cyteen) because it is easily the worst out of all the speculative fiction set texts!!

rahrah

¬_¬
HSC
I liked Cyteen. The first part was a bit boring... it gets better after Ari dies. We`re not doing Dune... just LOTR, Handmaid`s and Cyteen. I thought Cyteen was better than Handmaid`s... it's got a much better and complex plotline/characters/world... Handmaid`s just kinda plods on and on and then just stops.

becuffin

HSC
We were originally only going to do Cyteen, but we talked to our teacher and we also have Dune now, which is much better *heaves a sigh of relief*

I guess to each their own, but i'm going to have to read both before the exam.

I know LOTR inside out, since i've been a Tolkien groupie since i was a lil ankle biter and my dad read me the hobbit. I really like THT, it did a good job as a spec fic text, which is more than can be said for Cyteen so far.

It is easier to understand if you take notes on each page so you can keep track of whos who and what they're doing. Gotta love post-its! i dont believe the beginning has any relavence in the end...how did it get an award???

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)