Anyone do Nutrition at UWS Hawkesbury? or Sydney? ... (1 Viewer)

littlej123

HSC
Hi, I'm thinking of becoming a dietitian when I leave school (probably paediatric) and I was wondering what subjects people did at school and the sort of marks they had to get?
Any tips or hints?

MJOLNIR

HSC
I'm no expert on this, but my sister just started Food science at UNSW this year, so I've researched a little in an attempt to calm her down a bit about various things over the summer.

For subjects, definitely Chemistry, probably Biology, and I imagine Food Tech or whatever the HSC food course is called. Personally, I've found having 2U+ maths knowledge to be really handy at uni, even if it's not directly related, and PD/H/PE is probably not a bad choice considering you're interested in a health-related field.

Food falls under engineering at UNSW, which means you're eligible to apply for FEAS. If you anticipate being below the cut-off, you apply and can get in through an interview.

littlej123

HSC
Oh okay, thankyou...and I'm doing all those subjects at school now so thats good :)

thanks again.:uhhuh:

littlej123

HSC
do you know what sort of marks i have to get to get in to a course for dietetics?

:)

MJOLNIR

HSC
Something like:

USYD - ~96

UNSW - 89 with bonus points for performance in maths and physics, FEAS interview

UWS - ~65 with bonus points for Chem and food tech

fmchelloauntie

HSC
Doing "Food Tech" at UNSW won't make you a dietitian.
You have to do nutrition/dietetic @ USYD, UNewcastle or UWollongong...
They are all around 94, and Newcastle around 91.

Bananaberry

HSC
Exactly. One of my friend's is a dietician. She did B of Applied Science in Nutrition and Food, followed by a Masters in Nutrition and Dietetics. You also have to be accredited by the DAA. Not sure if this is done through your degree/masters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)