Anyone Do Modern History? (1 Viewer)

Kmahal1990

HSC
I am currently doing HSC modern history in year 11. We are currently studying Russia, particularly on the period of the russian revolution, and the civili war, now moving onto the new economic policy. I wanted to buy some books of different historians to get some different perspectives on the period. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which authors are well recognised for writing about this period. My teacher has reconommended Robert Service and Robert Conquest, along with Orlando Figge's "People's Tragedy".

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Kmahal1990 said:
I am currently doing HSC modern history in year 11. We are currently studying Russia, particularly on the period of the russian revolution, and the civili war, now moving onto the new economic policy. I wanted to buy some books of different historians to get some different perspectives on the period. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which authors are well recognised for writing about this period. My teacher has reconommended Robert Service and Robert Conquest, along with Orlando Figge's "People's Tragedy".
Don't buy any extra books for year 11 modern history, its not worth it. Just hire them out from your bookhire or spend a day at usyd or state libarey, as they have a large range of books regarding Russia.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Why are you doing HSC modern history in yr 11? are you accelerated, or determined to come first in the state? Go to Usyd fisher or the state library. Fisher and the stae library have every single australian book published from the 1850(usyd) and 19something at the state library they also have a large history section at usyd with many books from Britain.

SSHS Insider

HSC
I have just finished the Russian Revolution in Mod. History and i agree with hopeles5ly, don't buy any books, go to any library and look. But i would recomend the book "Russia in Revolt" By David Flyod

It starts at Nicholas's II coronation and ends at just after Bloody Sunday.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Why are you doing HSC modern history in yr 11? are you accelerated, or determined to come first in the state? Go to Usyd fisher or the state library. Fisher and the stae library have every single australian book published from the 1850(usyd) and 19something at the state library they also have a large history section at usyd with many books from Britain.
lol not large ! they practically have a whole bookshelf dedicated to the history of one country! =p an yways i really hated year 11 modern history, the topics we did were so boring! hsc modern history is the best though =] except for the corestudy!

Rachy195

HSC
Hello Everyone.. im writing a essay on the Decline and Fall of the Romanov Dynasty and its so boring and hard.. has anyone got any information on the Russian Duma and why it helped with the fall of the Romanov Dynasty?

CaiDrummer

HSC
Rachy195 said:
Hello Everyone.. im writing a essay on the Decline and Fall of the Romanov Dynasty and its so boring and hard.. has anyone got any information on the Russian Duma and why it helped with the fall of the Romanov Dynasty?

I think it had something to do with Nicholas dissolving the Duma, the people got POd (obviously) and then when he tried to bring about the changes that could've saved him, it was too late....
:S That doesn't sound quite right.
Basically, Nicholas screwed up. Royally.

v.ray

HSC
"In the October Manifesto of 17 October 1905, he announced the creation of the duma ... the creation of the duma should have ended Nicholas' autocractic power. The Fundamental Laws, issued in April 1906, demostrated the Tsar's reluctance to do this. They still desribed the Tsar's authority as 'autocratic' although it had ceased to be 'unlimited'. They went on to proclaim his rights to:
- dismiss the duma and announce new elections whenever he wished
- continue to personally choose and dismiss his ministers rather than allow the duma this power. This meant government ministers would continue to be responsible to the Tsar rather than to the duma
-declare new laws alone at any time that he announced a state of emergency or whenever the duma was not in session"

Chapter 3 of Retrospective

Those are some of the reasons why duma was a factor in the decline and fall of the Romanov Dynasty

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Didn't Tsar Nicholas surround and forcibly close the Duma at it's first meeting?
Then the SECOND time he created the Duma, he introduced the fundamental laws

wendus

krawr.
HSC
from memory, people's tragedy is a very good book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)