Anyone do martial arts? (1 Viewer)

Redgoddess

HSC
I did kickboxing for 2 years when I was in yr9 and yr10, then i got an injury and got sick then senior school was hectic and i had other shit going on so I didnt go back after yr10 but i'm gonna get back into it once hsc is over. we didnt have belts but i upgraded from just the class to the squad level where our trainer focussed on a group of about 5 of us doing harder stuff

Lions_Fist

HSC
Shi-Gan TKD, about 7 years on and off? Only got brown belt, as I was never stuffed really going for black belt fast. Though I might as well until I was 18 and get my senior instead of bothering with junior.
Had ingrown toenails on each foot come back about 3 times... so I kept missing heaps of gradings. Finally had them operated on and bone scraped to get rid of them, and went back about a year ago and got my brown belt. Then I stopped for the HSC, because it fucked me up every Tuesday and Thursday night.
Anyway, picking it back up after HSC.

north star

HSC
Hi everybody ... have been lurking this forum for a little while, as I am moving to Wollongong next year to study.

What I want to know is, does anybody know of any good martial arts masters in the Wollongong area ? I've done Chinese martial arts for awhile, not interested in any performance/wushu and am more interested in someone teaching something good rather than looking for something style specific (keeping an open mind, so to speak). Looking for something good, well-taught and practical.

Anyone help me out ?

Lindaya

HSC
taekwondo since year 7 when my school offered it, still doing in all the way through year 12 ..2nd dan blackbelt now and captain of the tkd team :)

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
from nothing to 2nd dan blackbelt in 5 years?

yeh ok, sure thing.
actually, it'd be 6 years, 7-12 inclusive.

and who says it's impossible? Maybe they've got talent?

-P_D

maccaman

Banana's in your mama's.
HSC
In my Kung Fu I got to black belt in five years, and I felt that my progress was too slow... yet you guys seem to be suggesting that black belt in 6 years is too fast?

360flip

HSC
N/A
taekwondo quit that for skateboarding when i was just a level away from black belt might get back into it and get the black once for all!

maccaman

Banana's in your mama's.
HSC
It depends which martial arts.

Also I should've noted that it's only a junior black belt, which is about 3/4 of the senior black belt curriculum.

So I guess the lesson learnt is that it takes a long time to get to second dan black belt in tae kwon doe.

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
Yup, I do Karate, Go-Jan-Ryu to be specific. I'm shodan-ho. Got it three years ago. I felt awfully special, being the only teenaged girl with a black belt at my senior classes for the last few years. Then last week a 14 year old with her first dan showed up, and there went my ego. Sigh.

I'm moving, though, so I'm starting up a new style - Shukokai, up in QLD. It's a little different, but pretty good. Whoo!

HSC
I did Muay Thai for about 10 months and only just stopped recently (not sure why though). My trainer (female) currently holds the Fly Weight Oceania WMC Title and the Jr Bantam Weight Aust. WMC Title. She's a machine.

I've also been doing Capoeira for about 3 years now - on and off. I'm loving every second of it.

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Karate is inadequate. It's really only good for keeping fit and has no practical application. This is because it relies too much on katas etc. I read an article about a person who had 3rd dan in karate being beaten up badly by someone who didn't even do martial arts. It doesn't prepare you for anything, and is totally deficient in areas such as knife deflection, choke escapes, ground fighting, wrist locks etc.

I've done Karate, TKD, Hapkido & Grappling.. All i can say is Karate is past its use by date. It may have had an application back in ancient japan, where people stood still whilst fighting.. But people are more sporadic these days and are more willing to use knifes and techniques of their own. If i was attacking someone who knew Karate.. and they went down into long fighting stance.. i would probably laugh at them an walk away, but apart from that it would have no defence purpose at all.
It's true that they do a lot of focus in kata, but I've noticed that in Shukokai, the main focus is on kumite. While GKR likes its formal stand-in-line basics, GKR also does a lot of combinations and partner work in order to get the feel of a real-life situation.

But yes. Karate isn't all that it's cracked up to be. But I still <3 it.

nathan71088

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Karate is inadequate. It's really only good for keeping fit and has no practical application. This is because it relies too much on katas etc.
Are you suggesting that kata is what makes karate inadequate or do you mean to say karate in itself is an inadequate martial art?

nathan71088

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
What good is kumite in a real life situation?
I think you have missed the point of kata. What do you believe is it's function? i.e. what do you believe is the point to performing kata?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)