anyone applying for uk unis? (1 Viewer)

riichard

HSC
um what the title suggests. anyone?
just wondering what unis ppl are considering and how ppl are going about it.

:wave::wave::wave:ahh love that emoticon

machiavel

HSC
The British Council just sent me round in circles. :burn:
I tried applying for the Maths Tripos at Cambridge, which is a bachelor's in maths+phys+comp. sci., but their prerequisite is a distinction-equivalent in the STEP Maths II & III or HD in I & II. 2 problems: a) STEP I Q1 is like the last question of the 4u maths paper and they keep getting worse (Eg. Calculate the cube root of 2 to an accuracy of 10^(-6) using a binomial expansion.) and b) the exam can't be sat in Australia.
WTF? Seriously, if I put in enough effort to do what amounts to MATH1901 at USyd just to pass an entrance exam, why can't I do the damn paper without spending $2000 trying to get there?!

I'm now happily enrolled in an Advanced maths degree @ usyd, but I'm thinking of flying to the UK and applying again if the 2nd year subjects are dull.

Last edited:

chrisbro1990

HSC
Yes. Have moved to the UK and am in the process of applying at the moment. Will be attending Bournemouth University studying Roman Archaeology

~LEAH~

HSC
I have been applying to a UK uni from Australia through UCAS. Very very difficult what with tests and sending in written work. I feel for you with your difficulties with the British Council.

danielvh

HSC
Applied to do a one year exchange at the University of Bristol. I find out in March.

Doing Economics there.

hamtaro91

HSC
Is it difficult to get into a good university in the uk (~top 20)?

I am considering applying, but there is no point moving over there if I do not get into a good one.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Law (undergrad) @ University of Hull next year:D
Then see where we can go from there...LLM (oxford)?

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
machiavel said:
WTF? Seriously, if I put in enough effort to do what amounts to MATH1901 at USyd just to pass an entrance exam, why can't I do the damn paper without spending $2000 trying to get there?!
[\QUOTE]

Because its Cambridge - one of the hardest uni's to get into in the world, and one with the smartest people...if you REALLY want to go to Cambridge go to England and take the test!

Zedez

HSC
I was looking into it. Does anyone know if being a UK citizen (I was born there) I would be entitled to regular UK fees, as apposed to international fees?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I was looking into it. Does anyone know if being a UK citizen (I was born there) I would be entitled to regular UK fees, as apposed to international fees?
I can only comment at the postgraduate level. Being a UK citizen means you can pay fees at the domestic rate, which is much much lower than the overseas rate. Not exactly sure how low.

Cambridge cost 25,000 pounds a year at the overseas rate (postgraduate level).

Andi0390

HSC
I looked at it vaguely earlier this year as more of a distant possibility.

I am a EU Citizen as well as Australian and if I were an ordinary European/British resident then I would only have to pay local fees but if you are not an ordinary resident then you are subjected to the international ones, which are pricey if you are an unemployed student. Not to mention cost of living there is higher, as well as the rate of unemployment. So harder to live and much harder to get a decent job, if any at all.

Would be fun though.

X

xeuyrawp

I can only comment at the postgraduate level. Being a UK citizen means you can pay fees at the domestic rate, which is much much lower than the overseas rate. Not exactly sure how low.

Cambridge cost 25,000 pounds a year at the overseas rate (postgraduate level).
To be honest, the fees are almost irrelevant as there's no hope for most people to study PG at a decent UK uni without at least a full scholarship.

I'm looking at three unis in the UK (although only one seriously), and I'd only be able to go with a full scholarship.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To be honest, the fees are almost irrelevant as there's no hope for most people to study PG at a decent UK uni without at least a full scholarship.

I'm looking at three unis in the UK (although only one seriously), and I'd only be able to go with a full scholarship.
But Daddy said he'd pay for me

Oxbridge

HSC
N/A
I am an a dual national undertaking a degree in Australia, but wanting to do a postgrad degree back in 'mighty Blighty'. From what I gather you need to be in the UK for three years prior to you undertaking your degree in the UK in order to be eligible for the 'home/EU student' rates (even if you are a citizen). I can't remember where I read this, but it seems to stick in my mind.

X

xeuyrawp

I am an a dual national undertaking a degree in Australia, but wanting to do a postgrad degree back in 'mighty Blighty'. From what I gather you need to be in the UK for three years prior to you undertaking your degree in the UK in order to be eligible for the 'home/EU student' rates (even if you are a citizen). I can't remember where I read this, but it seems to stick in my mind.
Or, like I've said a few times, you can get a full scholarship as an international student, which is much, much better as you can put 'Scholarship' on your resume and get a living allowance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)