Anybody work as a bartender? (1 Viewer)

iwannarock

HSC
i have questions.

many questions.

how did you get your job.

did you look for ads in the paper. did you walk into bars and asked if they were hiring. did you have a friend that works in a bar and asked them?

did you have any experience with mixing drinks when you applied? did they train you as you went?

theres a practical bar course offered in the city. one day mixing drinks and learning how to operate a bar. you end up with a certificate. anyone done it? is it useful?

i have my RSA just need to do that course so i can atleast say i know something about how to be a bartender when i apply.

also.........do they care how you look?

i look like a pirate. will i need to get a haircut and look all mr johnny clean and sharp as a whistle?

thats enough questions for now.

Lori.

HSC
sorry that this isnt a serious reply, or that i have no experience in a bar, (except the candy bar at greater union, lol) BUT oddy, you shant cut your hair, just tie it back. that would look so hot! no cutting of the maddest locks in the world :(

iwannarock

HSC
GJV said:
sorry that this isnt a serious reply, or that i have no experience in a bar, (except the candy bar at greater union, lol) BUT oddy, you shant cut your hair, just tie it back. that would look so hot! no cutting of the maddest locks in the world :(
ah your drunken rampage on BOS is great.

hmmmm maybe i will just tie it back.

i wonder if the RSL is hiring.:confused:

Lori.

HSC
they seriously ought to! fuck i waited THAT long at the bar tonight, but i had a plan, and i executed it, and it won :$ but i guess, everyone else lost, but there need to be bartenders there for the losers too, especially the losers, drink your sorrows away. seriously, apply there! DO IT! :) you can give me cheap drinks, yes? :D

iwannarock

HSC
<3 ruby.

although i said i'm 50cents in the other thread.

im yours for free.

:wave:

Skeeta

HSC
If you want to work in a club or RSL, (or anywhere that has poker machines)

You'll need your RSG also.

Bob.

HSC
If you're talking about the barmaxxxx course then i dont think its all that good in helping you get a job as a bartender. I did it and although the things they teach you there are useful, its nothing you wont learn in your first shift bartending. As for it helping you getting the job in the first place, i told a manager i had done a course in bartending and he said it doesnt make a difference, only real bar experience counts.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Do not wait for ads in the paper. Usually they only advertise for experienced positions. If you have no experience you should just try approaching different pubs/clubs. They are always needing people.

You will be trained once you are on the job. A bar course would be useful for the basics but I really don't know how necessary it is. It is better than nothing though.

amrodav

HSC
You could try seek.com.au. From what i've heard they usually have a selection of bartender jobs posted on that.

And make sure look in your local newspaper as well. When I was trying to find a job, I remember coming across some advertisements for local pubs.

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
just what happens in the pubs i know, which are not in sydney

you need to have your rsa (obviously)
your rcg helps too
you have to do a course. some stupid government legislation deigned it a few years back. but no this, you were probably taught by someone who has never worked behind a bar before. wat you learn will probably only be useful on paper. sounds like youve done one anyway :)

go about getting a job in the normal manner. ie, rock up very well presented and drop in your resume. if you dont want to cut your hair, definitly nowhere upmarket. do NOT go in the evening or night. theyll probably be busy and they wont care.

this info comes from working in the industry, and the fact my mother used to hire for two pubs...

HSC
N/A
I just learnt how to pour beer properly the other night... bartending sounds like so much fun! I wonder how much it pays?

iwannarock

HSC
glitterfairy said:
I just learnt how to pour beer properly the other night... bartending sounds like so much fun! I wonder how much it pays?
pays not good.

but the shifts are really long.

so you'd get like $150-$200 a night.

but that could be up to like a 10 hour shift.

Skeeta

HSC
oddy, if you DO have to cut your hair. Let me do it. I am a super awesome hairdresser.

iwannarock

HSC
Skeeta said:
oddy, if you DO have to cut your hair. Let me do it. I am a super awesome hairdresser.
you will make me look like an elf.

if i get it short i would get it like this.

or if possible.

like this

but my hair is too crazy me thinks.

bloody arabs.

HSC
well i work in a bar (an RSL) but do all tasks from changing kegs to TAB, KENO, payouts , bar service, etc.

iwannarock said:
i have questions.

many questions.

how did you get your job.

applied for it, handed in my resume. got rung up and had a trial 3 months. been there almost 2 years and now working several supervisor shifts.

did you look for ads in the paper. did you walk into bars and asked if they were hiring. did you have a friend that works in a bar and asked them?

knew a few people who worked in the same club, they said to see the boss so i did.

did you have any experience with mixing drinks when you applied? did they train you as you went?
some experience thru my course, but there are also kids who work there now who have had no experience and we had to train them from scratch

theres a practical bar course offered in the city. one day mixing drinks and learning how to operate a bar. you end up with a certificate. anyone done it? is it useful?

in my opinon, its not really neccessary. The bars often teach you drink mixing as you go along.. although if you want to do it it would always help you at work.

i have my RSA just need to do that course so i can at least say i know something about how to be a bartender when i apply.

also.........do they care how you look?

well pretty much anywhere in hospitality you have to be well presented. bars are no exception ( i guess working in an RSL the rules are more strictthan just a bar but still, well dressed/groomed is good)

i look like a pirate. will i need to get a haircut and look all mr johnny clean and sharp as a whistle?

long hair is fine, so long as it is tied back.. being clean shaven is a good idea.

thats enough questions for now.

hope thats helped you. BTW pay is pretty good, although i get supervisor wages, the normal rate of pay for the RSL is 19.88 normal pay per hour (+ penalty rates).

also remember as other people have said, you will need your RCG aswell to work anywhere with pokies (which most bars have nowdays)

good luck!

lexonfire

HSC
whats it like for females wanting to work with alcohol? not necessarily pubs/bars but also restaurants, cafes, whatever?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)