Any tips on 1984 (proposed essay structure) + any good quotes??? (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi, I know that questions about 1984 are probably posted all the time but I'd love some input from some people better than English Adv than I am!

I'm still writing my essay for common mod despite trials coming up for me in <2 weeks, and am hoping to look at the following themes:
  • Loyalty
    • Comparing Winston+Julia's private loyalty with the forced worship of B.B and the Party
  • Hope
    • Comparing how it can give purpose to Winston+Julia yet can paralyse humans
      • (e.g. the Proles and the Lottery gives them paralysing false hope)
  • Humanity's ability to exist in contradictory states of mind
    • e.g.:
      • Members of District 9 can live happily in a world where they are so controlled
      • Winston understands that he betrayed Julia at the end of the book but his "soul is white as snow"
      • Humans can repress and deny their actions to avoid any consequences of inhumane actions
    • this last one isn't so well thought out but I kinda wanna go in this direction :/
I'd really appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this, or where to go with this! Does anyone have some prewritten quotes/analysis lying around for these types of themes?

Also, do I actually need ultra-specific quotes, or can I just use general quotes for the above themes?

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Hi, I know that questions about 1984 are probably posted all the time but I'd love some input from some people better than English Adv than I am!

I'm still writing my essay for common mod despite trials coming up for me in <2 weeks, and am hoping to look at the following themes:
  • Loyalty
    • Comparing Winston+Julia's private loyalty with the forced worship of B.B and the Party
  • Hope
    • e.g.:
      • Members of District 9 can live happily in a world where they are so controlled
      • Winston understands that he betrayed Julia at the end of the book but his "soul is white as snow"
      • Humans can repress and deny their actions to avoid any consequences of inhumane actions
    • this last one isn't so well thought out but I kinda wanna go in this direction :/
I'd really appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this, or where to go with this! Does anyone have some prewritten quotes/analysis lying around for these types of themes?

Also, do I actually need ultra-specific quotes, or can I just use general quotes for the above themes?
make ur esasy flow from para to para with the ideas u pick
that way its also easier to adapt and make ur argument flow
u havent listed ideas u just stated themes

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
make ur esasy flow from para to para with the ideas u pick
that way its also easier to adapt and make ur argument flow
u havent listed ideas u just stated themes
Wdym? Is there a difference between ideas and themes? I thought I can just have one paragraph per what I've listed and hopefully fit that to the question?

nsw..wollongong

HSC

• Loyalty
  • Hope
    • e.g.:

ooo i rlly like ur third point, u can further it by talking abt how district 9's idea of hope doesn't fit the objective reality/collective experience of oppression bc they're idea of happiness is dictated by the regime. what they find happy is what winston may find oppressive, then talk abt the inconsistencies of the human condition here. and where you say "humans can deny their actions to avoid consequences" u can talk about the novel from top to bottom -- winston was always instilled with the notion that hed be able to overthrow the party when really his efforts were futile from the get go (talk about paradoxes and irony here)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i mean like dont just say that it explores hope through winston and julia
for ur general essay u still need arguments that flow on from each other

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
ooo i rlly like ur third point, u can further it by talking abt how district 9's idea of hope doesn't fit the objective reality/collective experience of oppression bc they're idea of happiness is dictated by the regime. what they find happy is what winston may find oppressive, then talk abt the inconsistencies of the human condition here. and where you say "humans can deny their actions to avoid consequences" u can talk about the novel from top to bottom -- winston was always instilled with the notion that hed be able to overthrow the party when really his efforts were futile from the get go (talk about paradoxes and irony here)
Yeah thanks, I might take that idea haha - so you think I basically combine the whole thing into one idea of "humanity is always conflicted and inconsistent" and use the Proles, Winston, and the whole narrative flow as examples?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
i mean like dont just say that it explores hope through winston and julia
for ur general essay u still need arguments that flow on from each other
Oh yeah of course - "hope providing purpose" is the general idea but then one of my examples is Winston and Julia using that to drive their rebellion (or something like that)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Yeah thanks, I might take that idea haha - so you think I basically combine the whole thing into one idea of "humanity is always conflicted and inconsistent" and use the Proles, Winston, and the whole narrative flow as examples?
yepp this can form part of ur thesis, make sure to talk abt the novel as a whole (part 1 to part 3 -- good commentary on form)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
From what it sounds like the general gist of 1984 essays is "everything is a paradox", and then each of my paragraphs looks at how Orwell shows both sides of an idea?? (e.g., hope can be purposeful, but also paralysing; loyalty is private and personal but also able to be manipulated e.g. towards Big Brother; human behaviour is paradoxical and inconsistent)???

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
From what it sounds like the general gist of 1984 essays is "everything is a paradox", and then each of my paragraphs looks at how Orwell shows both sides of an idea?? (e.g., hope can be purposeful, but also paralysing; loyalty is private and personal but also able to be manipulated e.g. towards Big Brother; human behaviour is paradoxical and inconsistent)???
yeah all my paras contains elements that can be tied to paradoxes

nsw..wollongong

HSC
yeah and here you can talk about the paradox of absolute truth vs subjective reality
  • hope = subjective = expunged by regime
  • loyalty = absolute truth = forced by regime
  • human behaviour = both = as dictated by the bounds of bb (eg. emotion is controlled to love bb,, doesn't mean its not there)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
yeah and here you can talk about the paradox of absolute truth vs subjective reality
  • hope = subjective = expunged by regime
  • loyalty = absolute truth = forced by regime
  • human behaviour = both = as dictated by the bounds of bb (eg. emotion is controlled to love bb,, doesn't mean its not there)
Yeahhhhh that's a good way of thinking about it - I fully forgot about all those ideas of absolute truth and changing realities ahhhh okay

tysm

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Coming back to this (sorry) - does anyone have any good quotes for hope and how it influences Winston and Julia's rebellion by providing purpose?

I have some quotes about the Golden Country that Winston sees in his dreams, but that isn't a good example for providing purpose for rebellion.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Coming back to this (sorry) - does anyone have any good quotes for hope and how it influences Winston and Julia's rebellion by providing purpose?

I have some quotes about the Golden Country that Winston sees in his dreams, but that isn't a good example for providing purpose for rebellion.
well if u wanna compare their relationship from start to end u can have a quote abt him finding julia "pretty and sexless" (which links to hope because their relationship is a direct rebellion against the party's demonisation of sex) then him in the ministry of love betraying her... showing the futility of 'hopeful' relationships

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC

U could find some with obrien and the brotherhood
Or also remember the symbol of the paperweight that’s good
altho All this provides Winston hope, whereas Julia is more hedonistic

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Okay yeah

Tbh this is basically what I've started writing into my para:
  • Winston’s dream image of “The Golden Country” provides him with a purpose for rebellion for a better future
  • “We shall meet in a place where there is no darkness”, he states, Orwell’s optimistic tone and imagery conveying Winston’s sense of hope for a better future and desire for freedom
  • Winston's claim “we are the dead. Our only true life is in the future” suggests that his hope in a future rebellion is his driving motivation for survival
And I should probably start on my other side of hope soon and look at how it paralyses the Proles (with the lottery)...

But I might try include your suggestions... stuff about Julia/Winston's sex as an outlet for their rebellion, how the paperweight is used as a symbol for a better past??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)